"Light" strings for a tenor uke

BrettWatchorn

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering... You know how guitars have light/medium/heavy etc gauge strings... Is there a similar type of thing with the tenor uke?

I am looking for some strings that are a bit lighter tension/mellower sound.

Any thoughts, comments help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Worth makes a lot of different string sets with different tensions. In general, their Brown strings are mellower than the clear strings, but within each type they also have different gauge sets. Check them out at http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.html

Aquilas seem a bit thicker to me, while some of the black strings like GHS and Hilo are thinner. I've found the thin or light strings provide less volume and are not as bright as strings like Aquila. While lighter strings may bend more easily, they don't seem to give my ules the tone and volume I want.

A good compromise might be the D'Addario J71s. I find them smooth and easy to play, an 'in-between' string for volume and brightness.

I have GHS at the moment and I don't think I'm very happy at the moment. Also, what's the deal with the 1 steel wound string? I think I'm going to look at the D'Addarios or Aquilas, they seem to have a really good reputation for quality.

I'm guessing lower tension will also lower the action a little on the tenor uke?
Is that correct?

Hey George, Mahaloz for the link - found that awhile back and forgot to bookmark it. Great reference!

Aquilas seem a bit thicker to me, while some of the black strings like GHS and Hilo are thinner. I've found the thin or light strings provide less volume and are not as bright as strings like Aquila. While lighter strings may bend more easily, they don't seem to give my ules the tone and volume I want.

I agree. I recently restrung my tenor with Worth browns (replacing the Aquilas that were on it). I thought I wanted a mellower sound and I also liked the brown color. After playing with them for a week, I restrung the uke with Aquilas again. I found that I actually prefered the thicker gauge of the Aquila and the brighter sound, with the added volume of the Aquilas.

The Worth Browns are very thin and mellow, and seem to have less volume. While they didn't work for me, they may be exactly what you are looking for.

Note: this was for my Kanile'a. Funnily enough, the Worth Browns are currently the string of choice on my Kamaka.

Last edited:
I feel the Ko'olau Gold Strings are very mellow and low tension you might give those a shot. Played them on a Tenor and a Soprano.
Had to change them off my Pono Soprano I kept rolling off the A string I was used to Aquilla and Pro Arte's.

Also, what's the deal with the 1 steel wound string? I think I'm going to look at the D'Addarios or Aquilas, they seem to have a really good reputation for quality.

I'm guessing lower tension will also lower the action a little on the tenor uke?

Wound strings provide more mass without an increase in gauge.

Out of curiosity, how do you know of the quality reputation of those strings. Personally, D'Addario standard `ukulele strings suck (not the Pro Artes, which are 1 of my strings of choice), and Aquila has its place on a number of instruments. Again, personally.

Lower string tension does not lower action. It may however, require that you raise the action when you switch to lower tension strings.

-Aaron

Wound strings provide more mass without an increase in gauge.

Out of curiosity, how do you know of the quality reputation of those strings. Personally, D'Addario standard `ukulele strings suck (not the Pro Artes, which are 1 of my strings of choice), and Aquila has its place on a number of instruments. Again, personally.

Lower string tension does not lower action. It may however, require that you raise the action when you switch to lower tension strings.

-Aaron

Oh my. I never distinguished between standard D'Addarios and the Pro Artes. I'll have to be very sure to pick up the good set instead, when I do try out the company's stuff.

One mans Gold is anothers Garbage...
I love the Pro Arte's Tenor strings, cant stand the black D'Addario's any string
and I do like the green pac Soprano D'Addario they sound real ol'timey.

To me the Pro Arte's are far from mellow sounding.

You just have to get some of each brand and hear/feel for yourself.

True I would go with the Worth's or Hilo strings. The Aquila strings don't sound as good and they are hard to play with.

Worths are super soft and mellow, my wife loves them, she says they're easier on her fingers.

Yeh, I'm with Leroy. Worths are very nice. Good tone, much easier on the fingers than Aquilas, and still give acceptable volume.

Personally, I found that K Golds and D'Addarios didn't work for me. They were both too quiet.

YMMV on all counts.

Top Bottom