Season 83

Well, if you don't get a vid from me this week it won't be for lack of trying. I just tried to practice it and made it through about 1 verse. We'll see.....

Same here. I knew a song immediately (in fact, 3, if I get to them), but I didn't make it through the first chorus. Actually, the same thing happened to me when I did The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll a few Seasons ago, and after repeated practice attempts, I did get through it with only internal churning.

OK.
Not a happy song but I love it and this will actually be my third video (maybe 4th I think I may have done a how to) of it. I have changed the key to E as I have previously done it in G.
Music can certainly give me goose bumps, stand the hair up on the back of my neck and bring tears to my eyes.
I love this song because of the simple melody and terrific lyrics.
I actually did this song with my brother at a roots and blues open mic and had a lady come up saying how much she liked it and that it had brought tears to her eyes.
The notion that your best and most reliable friend when you are feeling really low is a further dose of the blues is deliciously desperate and terribly sad.
My Old Friend the Blues by Steve Earle.

Nice opening video Dave and you polish up pretty well mate.

OK.
Not a happy song but I love it and this will actually be my third video (maybe 4th I think I may have done a how to) of it. I have changed the key to E as I have previously done it in G.
Music can certainly give me goose bumps, stand the hair up on the back of my neck and bring tears to my eyes.
I love this song because of the simple melody and terrific lyrics.
I actually did this song with my brother at a roots and blues open mic and had a lady come up saying how much she liked it and that it had brought tears to her eyes.
The notion that your best and most reliable friend when you are feeling really low is a further dose of the blues is deliciously desperate and terribly sad.
My Old Friend the Blues by Steve Earle.

Nice opening video Dave and you polish up pretty well mate.

Wow - I couldn't wish for a better opening to my week of hosting the seasons Brian. Thank you so much. That was very moving.

This has the potential to be a mega good week - great theme me thinks.

BB

Love this video, Dave! I know the song that does it to me for the theme, but don't know if I can sing it, or even get through it speaking.
You could always take a leaf out of Pabrizzer's book and wear sunglasses. That may disguise any tears. ;-)

Well you didn't think that just because I'm host I wouldn't post a song or two (or three) did you?
Here is one that NEVER fails to give me goose bumps. It has massive personal poignancy and meaning to me and my family and sums up my dad who kept his keen sense of humour right to the bitter end. It always provides me with wonderful memories of him. I have already made a video of this track before and make no apologies for doing it again. I can never quite seem to do it justice but I just get so much enjoyment playing it.
I thought it would be good to get this video in before the major rush of entries (fingers firmly crossed).

before the major rush of entries (fingers firmly crossed)
i don't think you need to cross your fingers - the brilliant theme for this contest, and your super intro vid, makes me think everyone will IMMEDIATELY go, like i did, "ooooooooooooooooh yeah MY extra special goose-bumps-inducing, emotional-wreck-making song is of course..." whatever it is, for whoever it is, and off you go! my only concern is we'll all have posted by oh i dunno half past two in the afternoon today and then we'll have nothing to do for the rest of the week - oh well except for listen to everyone else's choices and have a good cry of course.

here is my entry - "like a rose" by lucinda williams (oh for goodness sake i'm welling up a bit just typing that!)

blurry webcam vid combined with super sharp voice recorder audio equals oh i dunno something in the middle???

here is my entry - "like a rose" by lucinda williams (oh for goodness sake i'm welling up a bit just typing that!)

blurry webcam vid combined with super sharp voice recorder audio equals oh i dunno something in the middle???

Top marks for introducing me to a new song. Lovely entry and you score extra points for video originality. How the hell do you get that shot. I have a mental image of you sitting there with a camera attached to some weird head gear. I loved your cool laid back strumming style and voice. Hopefully one day we will see your face. It took me ages before I dared to do that too.

I've heard that many people really rate Hank Williams as a song writer but when I saw Seasick Steve's version of this song it just blew me away.
Another redo for me as I have already done all the songs that really do it for me. Used my Zoom H2n this time though.
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. Entry #2

Will have to consider my 3rd as nothing has leapt at me like the first 2.

Last edited:
I've heard that many people really rate Hank Williams as a song writer but when I saw Seasick Steve's version of this song it just blew me away.
Another redo for me as I have already done all the songs that really do it for me. Used my Zoom H2n this time though.
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry. Entry #2

Will have to consider my 3rd as nothing has leapt at me like the first 2.

Yep, that one does it for me too Brian. Great cover beautifully played with real goosebumpability. Lovely job as usual. I'm with you on the Seasick Steve version. I remember coming across that during the Hank Williams Season.

And another non U2 song that for me fits this theme. Wind at my Back by Spock's Beard. I needed to go up a whole note, which is why I used my Bach soprano as it is tuned in D.

I'm planning on doing a U2 song, but I'm not sure which one just yet, so I start out with a song that for me fits this theme really well. Who am I by Casting Crowns.

Lovely song choice and I thought it suited your voice beautifully. I listened to this through head phones and the sound was really sweet and perfectly balanced. A really great entry and another new song to me.

And another non U2 song that for me fits this theme. Wind at my Back by Spock's Beard. I needed to go up a whole note, which is why I used my Bach soprano as it is tuned in D.

Nice clean playing Wim. I've just realised how clean and sharp your fretting of the Uke is. Again I enjoyed your mellow voice.

Love the Beard! There's just not enough Prog on this forum--I'm working on a Dream Theater song for this season (OK, now I put that out there, so I HAVE to do it.)!

While writing about no being sure which U2 song to do I remembered that I had never done One for a Season yet, and that is One of the U2 songs that fit this theme for me, so here it is One by U2.

UkeyDave thanks for hosting and commenting, while I've finished my three entries, I will be trying to keep up with what everybody else brings to this season.

Last edited:
Top Bottom