Season 83

Love the Beard! There's just not enough Prog on this forum--I'm working on a Dream Theater song for this season (OK, now I put that out there, so I HAVE to do it.)!
Yes, Spock's Beard in every setting have made great music, uke4ia tries to get a lot of prog towards the seasons. I think the main issue for me is that most prog songs I like do not translate well to uke. Looking forward to your DT song on uke though.

My sweetheart is watching me/One heart

Inspired by Ukey Dave (do I get 5 points for mentioning your name in this post) I put together a photo montage of some old family photos. The photos were done for a 365 project on Flickr. That is where you take a photo of yourself for 365 days. Lots of people do it, but I am not that ego-centric to photograph my face 365 times so I covered my phizog with a 365 stamp, and I thought it highlighted relationships better than just a plain old photo. (That was the creative part)

The song was one by Rory McLeod and I liked the idea that a loved one would be secretly observe by a sweetheart. It is a fine thing, and it feels good to know that you are the focus of heart felt love.

The Ukulele does not feature cos it is basically rocking back and forth between G and C chords (boring)... texture and layering were more important... so never mind the quality feel the width :)

Inspired by Ukey Dave (do I get 5 points for mentioning your name in this post) I put together a photo montage of some old family photos. The photos were done for a 365 project on Flickr. That is where you take a photo of yourself for 365 days. Lots of people do it, but I am not that ego-centric to photograph my face 365 times so I covered my phizog with a 365 stamp, and I thought it highlighted relationships better than just a plain old photo. (That was the creative part)

The song was one by Rory McLeod and I liked the idea that a loved one would be secretly observe by a sweetheart. It is a fine thing, and it feels good to know that you are the focus of heart felt love.

The Ukulele does not feature cos it is basically rocking back and forth between G and C chords (boring)... texture and layering were more important... so never mind the quality feel the width :)

Full marks for video originality and creative licence. You would have received 5 marks for mentioning me in your video therefore you get 3 marks for mentioning me in writing. Tough I know, but someone's gotta step up to the plate and do it. ;-) Seriously though, a haunting and lovely song and not one that I'm familiar with. Its much improved on your 2009 version.

Lovely opening video. I don't even need to learn a song this week I just need to polish up one of the first songs I learned.

Good Bye Pork Pie Hat

Great theme. There is so muck music that makes me all emotional; I will probably do multiple entries this week.

It's kind of mysterious why some music works this way. Some stuff has hit me immediately, and some has taken years - I guess until my life experiences caught up with the artistry. Sometimes a particular performance or interpretation opens up the experience of a familiar tune.

Although I typically think of songs that make me emotional, some instrumental music has the same effect. I always liked this song, but it never really hit me until I was a a show years back with three guitar players - Stefan Grossman, John Reynbourne and Larry Coryell. Grossman told a story about when the three were hanging out and getting ready for the show, and he and John were talking about how much they liked this song. Coryell said "Oh, I played on that original". And then they played this number, Good Bye Pork Pie Hat, together - nothing short of pure magic, and the song has moved me ever since.

I am a strummer and singer, but after playing uke a lot for a year or so, I decided I should at least have some instrumental stuff to improve my "chops", such as they were. I worked up this arrangement of the song. Hope you like it. When played by better players than me, it can really produce chicken skin.

Great theme. There is so muck music that makes me all emotional; I will probably do multiple entries this week.

It's kind of mysterious why some music works this way. Some stuff has hit me immediately, and some has taken years - I guess until my life experiences caught up with the artistry. Sometimes a particular performance or interpretation opens up the experience of a familiar tune.

Although I typically think of songs that make me emotional, some instrumental music has the same effect. I always liked this song, but it never really hit me until I was a a show years back with three guitar players - Stefan Grossman, John Reynbourne and Larry Coryell. Grossman told a story about when the three were hanging out and getting ready for the show, and he and John were talking about how much they liked this song. Coryell said "Oh, I played on that original". And then they played this number, Good Bye Pork Pie Hat, together - nothing short of pure magic, and the song has moved me ever since.

I am a strummer and singer, but after playing uke a lot for a year or so, I decided I should at least have some instrumental stuff to improve my "chops", such as they were. I worked up this arrangement of the song. Hope you like it. When played by better players than me, it can really produce chicken skin.

Thanks for sharing your great story with us. I love the quotation at the start of your video - "Music is emotion made audible" You get extra points for that wonderful quote. Thanks for introducing me to this Jazz classic and I take my hat off to anyone who can play an instrumental on the Uke as I am somewhat challenged in that department. Nice playing Rick.

This is my first take, because I don't think I could sing the second verse a second time.

It calls up the feelings and admiration I have for my marvelous son, who is now married and living in L.A.

This is my first take, because I don't think I could sing the second verse a second time.

It calls up the feelings and admiration I have for my marvelous son, who is now married and living in L.A.

Wow, lots of emotion here Ginny. Really lovely to watch. I find it hard sometimes to get through this song as well. Changing a few lyrics and inserting my name my mom used to sing me to sleep with this song almost every night when I was a boy. I often sing it for my girls as well. I'm so glad you did this.

I rarely make it through this one, not because it is an amazing song. It is however one of my goosebump songs I have not yet played. A simple three chord wonder that reminds me of the best day of my life.
Rest of the story is in the video-
Thanks for the reason Davey.

Oh my word. That was truly emotional and very moving. Goosebumpability is on the richter scale Ginny. I hope your ok. Seasonistas will be lynching me for making a grown woman cry at this rate. Danny Boy is a classic spine tingler to be sure. A very heart rendering performance.

I rarely make it through this one, not because it is an amazing song. It is however one of my goosebump songs I have not yet played. A simple three chord wonder that reminds me of the best day of my life.
Rest of the story is in the video-
Thanks for the reason Davey.

Oh yes that did indeed work. What is this song? I'm not familiar with it. Great photo's and some lovely strumming and a bit of Uke melody thrown in for good measure. This is a great entry Dave and I love the way you say "it's alright" at the beginning to your dear wife who I assume ruined your first take. I do hope you meant it. ;-) Thank you so much for sharing your photo's too. This scores well in my book on goosebumpability, humour and creativity. Great stuff indeed.

Can I just say that this season is ALREADY shaping up to be everything and more I'd hoped it would be. Great stuff thus far.

And another one from me. It's one I've covered before but here it is again hopefully made a little more interesting with footage of a drive home and including a key change that is more conducive to my voice (I hope).

Last edited:

This is so lovely, Dave—Mr. Cloverdale singing love to Mrs. Cloverdale. It was nice to see Mel's dad in there, too, looking handsome and happy.
Thank you.

Hello!

I know that the song is a low level song...but for me is very especial: I sing this song to my three year old students, and I think is the first sad song that I teach them. My sons cried when the child leave alone the poor Puff. This song is like a life lesson: the way you leaving important things (magical things) .. just why you get older. I still excites me remember the sad faces of my children about Puff. Here I'm with my little son: your video UkeyDave made ​​me realize one of the most exciting things is to sing with your child. Thank you for your hosting!

You can see the version is a verse in catalan, and another one in english!

And forgiveness for camera shake, my second son is learning to stand still! ;-)

Hugs

Last edited:
Hello!

I know that the song is a low level song...but for me is very especial: I sing this song to my three year old students, and I think is the first sad song that I teach them. My sons cried when the child leave alone the poor Puff. This song is like a life lesson: the way you leaving important things (magical things) .. just why you get older. I still excites me remember the sad faces of my children about Puff. Here I'm with my little son: your video UkeyDave made ​​me realize one of the most exciting things is to sing with your child. Thank you for your hosting!

Hugs
This was going to be my second choice for a song. My mother and I used to sing it together when I was very young like your boys there. Lots of memories. Thanks for posting this with your sons.

Hello!

Hugs

Great to see you demonstrating with your entry that happiness is an emotion too. This was wonderful and had me grinning from ear to ear. Great strumming and your smiling son was a joy to see. It was fantastic to hear it sung in Catalan too. Top marks for goose bumps and great strumming.

Here is my entry. If the playing and singing were better this would be good! :) Gotta have fun! How can you change where you tube stops the frame? It looks like I am blowing my nose! Ha!

Great job. fit your voice perfectly!
OK.
Not a happy song but I love it and this will actually be my third video (maybe 4th I think I may have done a how to) of it. I have changed the key to E as I have previously done it in G.
Music can certainly give me goose bumps, stand the hair up on the back of my neck and bring tears to my eyes.
I love this song because of the simple melody and terrific lyrics.
I actually did this song with my brother at a roots and blues open mic and had a lady come up saying how much she liked it and that it had brought tears to her eyes.
The notion that your best and most reliable friend when you are feeling really low is a further dose of the blues is deliciously desperate and terribly sad.
My Old Friend the Blues by Steve Earle.

Nice opening video Dave and you polish up pretty well mate.

I am so, SO mad I can't enter this week. Gah! I can think of multiple songs off the top of my head that I've been dying to do and THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN THE WEEK TO DO THEM.

Man. Stupid Mexico.

Top Bottom