I've had it with Snark!

Oh and I went all these years like 20-30 of mine, just using a tuning fork and my ears. I really did that.

I have learned much to appreciate the tuners, and I must say Unitune is one of the best. You should perhaps go to floor tuners if expecting something better, but I doubt.

How ever we were even able to make music before the tuners? We had our ears and our limits in that and also some interesting instruments that were not quite in tune like your super idea.

Which is all well and good. Yet the point is. I don't need a tuner to dumb things down just because its designer doesn't think that I can handle the truth.
The World unfortunately is full of people who do want to be told little white lies and I'm a little incredulous because I'm someone who just wants a measuring tool to tell me the truth.
Why does this have to be soo hard.

I use a Boss TU-10 clip on tuner which is perfectly accurate and sturdy and I don't really want the designers to dumb it down just because there's a market for it.

The truth is that tuning is so simple and so many people want to overthink and overcomplicate it. A five digit flashing digital display does not guarantee accuracy or usefulness.

If you understand how a uke is designed built and set up, you will realise that a simple tuner is all you need as a player. The instrument is not complex.

The industry standard identifies 12 ratios of a root frequency to another frequency. They have the musical terminology "interval". They create a 12 note chromatic scale between octaves. The mathematical system has the musical terminology "Temperament". You can change the root frequency (the A note audio frequency) on most electronic tuners if you want to, usually you use A=440Hz and then the software in the tuner applies the 12 ratios or intervals to calculate the 12 other frequencies in each octave. Your uke is designed with frets and a set-up that splits the strings into these same ratios or intervals to produce the 12 notes in each chromatic octave.

As an example of the ratio: The Fifth Interval ratio in the industry standard called "Equal Temperament" = 1.49. This is not the 1.5 ratio that is need to get the Perfect Fifth ratio or interval. It is about 2 cents different. You use fretting technique to get rid of the 2 cent "error" so you can make a perfect fifth interval. You will never be able to get it in all keys at once by trying to tune your uke so the E/A of C/G ratio or interval is exactly 1.5. If your uke is designed and set-up to the standard the E/A and C/G ratio or interval will always be 1.49 when you tune the open strings.

Its all effectively hard wired by design. If you want to vary from the standard, you need to get a new set-up done, you can't change the fret spacing and the set-up technician has adjusted the nut and saddle to fine tune the intervals to the industry standard, so your fifth interval is adjusted to be 1.49 not 1.5. It is a waste of time trying to second guess your electronic tuner and use anything other than the industry standards. The whole system is set up so all you need to do is clip on the tuner and twiddle the four tuner knobs and then start playing.

Makers and tuning technicians need to fiddle more to do set-ups and test the instruments, so they can take advantage of a fancy tuner. But all a player needs to do is to tune the opens strings and start playing. The simpler you keep it, the better it will work. Having a tuner that is fancy and has more flashing lights wont help you, it just makes it seem more complicated. Which is why most players do not need a fancy tuner, you just need one that is easy to read and does not have buttons or features which get in the way. One of my tuners has two knobs, one has three functions the other has 7, IE 21 variations. If I am doing a set-up type activity I might use a few of them. Tuning up to play, I use the simplest function. The Snark is a very simple tuner, you do not need much more if you are a player.

You will see internet videos and discussions where punters can't get their tuner to have the perfect fifth interval of 1.5 and they say the tuner is faulty. What is faulty is their knowledge of how the tuner is designed and programmed.

It will usually be programmed so the fifth interval is always 1.49, not 1.5. You can get tuners that are used for fretless instruments like violins that have different sets of the 12 ratios or intervals (called temperaments) programmed into them.

If you use a different set of ratios or intervals (collectively called a temperament) for your ukulele, it will often be great in one key, but when you want to change key you need to retune the uke because of the way the frequency ratios or intervals work mathematically. So, having a tuner with 10 temperaments sounds great, but in reality it is not really practical. You are stuck with Equal Temperament if you want to play in several keys without re-tuning. Again the best tuner for a player is one that is very simple and easy to use.

The truth is most people simply want to snap on a tuner and get a correct reading without it prematurely breaking, while you are the one trying to over complicate things. The proof is your lengthy 9 paragraph response to a thread about the durability, or lack thereof, of Snark tuners. It might be helpful for you to pontificate less.

This may have been said, but here is my input.

When I am playing with a group, a clip on tuner helps me to quickly and quietly tune - to ‘standard’ tuning. That which everyone else is playing in. And as my ukulele warms up and changes tune, I can quietly think the tuning.

By myself, I trust my ear to get ‘close’ and then tune it onto itself.

anthonyg, I had the Boss TU-01 tuner, with a wobbling needle. I even took part in some ukulele group course where my teacher, a nice woman got your TU-10. It is a heavy piece though and somewhat ugly design with also that wobbling needle.

My TU-01 broke, same as the Snarks seem to do. It had a bad battery holder, but I rather think it broke because of just too much use. The on/off mechanism broke.

You can't go wrong with the Unitune, it does not "lie" as you say.

Basically what matters is that we get our instruments in tune, but as we do it daily I much appreciate less guessing. We never again can get our tuning as less exact than with the tuning fork age with electronic tuners. Because it is always a compromise with our instruments, something like Bill1 told above. Bill1 I'm just one year older than you, 1958 :)

Last edited:
I have a snark black that I have had for 3 or 4 years now and I've not had any issues with it. I have just recently started using an app on my phone called Guitar Tuna that my Daughter turned me onto and I find it to be accurate and very easy to use. I like the Guitar Tuna app and it is free, so if you have a iPhone or such, I suggest giving it a try. I also have a very old intellatouch tuner that I used on mandolin, but it isn't as user friendly as the snark .

I have just recently started using an app on my phone called Guitar Tuna that my Daughter turned me onto and I find it to be accurate and very easy to use. I like the Guitar Tuna app and it is free, so if you have a iPhone or such, I suggest giving it a try.

I used to like DaTuner app on android device. I think it is still very good without much wobbling, but it is pushing advertisements like once a week so I can't really recommend it that much.

D’Addario Micro, Ukulele Tuner Pro App, Rowin LT-21, Aroma AT-01A; Avoid Mr. Power

I would never have high expectations for any tuner made of plastic with a ball & socket joint or hinge joint. One little microcrack & things turn into a PIA.
For decades (pre-uke), I ONLY used an A440 tuning fork. With only friction tuners. And had to walk uphill both ways to do so ;) .

LOVE the little D’Addario NS Micro Clip-On tuners, especially the new color display ones. I try to keep one on every uke I have, permanently. There's a reason why they come in two-packs (& some vendors sell them in even greater lots). They are a bit challenging for instruments w/ very small headstocks (many if not most Romero Creations / DHo production ukes, sub-sopranos).

Other tuners I've used & been happy with include:

Ukulele Tuner Pro App (I bought it for $2.50 instead of using the free version as I'm not sure if an unwanted google play pass subscription would kick in w/ the free version; paid version has more features).
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.18.16 AM.jpg

This, Rowin LT-21 for ~$3 shipped
(Reverb has them for $7 + $3 s/h). VERY sturdy, huge nice display. Better than average cushion on instrument contact points. I'd buy it again if needed.
inCollage_20191105_080055191.jpg

I also have some Aroma AT-01A tuners. They ALL have worked well, endured getting dropped, & are the least expensive.
Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 8.30.21 AM.jpg

Less happy with
"Mr.Power MT-05 Micro Clip-On USB rechargeable". Nice design but ran flat. My sample size was only 1.
"JOYO JT-306" Some have held together, some have not even though they were never dropped.

Last edited:
I use the pano tuner app. on my phone. I have a snark, same thing happened. Does anyone know if I glue it back together if I will lose any of it function.

LOVE the little D’Addario NS Micro Clip-On tuners, especially the new color display ones. I try to keep one on every uke I have, permanently. There's a reason why they come in two-packs (& some vendors sell them in even greater lots). They are a bit challenging for instruments w/ very small headstocks (many if not most Romero Creations / DHo production ukes, sub-sopranos).

My favorite, too.

This made me stop using my dedicated chromatic tuner: Pocket Ukulele Tuner Pro, for example on https://apkpure.com/pocket-ukulele-tuner/com.ukuleletuner

PRO version:
⭐ Hands-free mode (let the tuner auto-detect the strings you're trying to tune)
⭐ Ads-free

Being somewhere in the middle of the light green area is exact enough.

Don't need a clip on tuner, frankly I'm playing alone...

Last edited:
Snark works great for me. I'm not anal about tuning, but want to be in tune, so I use it every time I pick up a uke (when In pick em up, my ukes are usually pretty close to in-tune, I find). The Snark gets me there easily, and mine have lasted a long time, except one, where one of the jaws snapped off at the base.

I like the Mini D'Adarrios too (almost invisible when used on the back), but I find they are much easier to lose. One lived on my guitar for years, but thinner uke headstocks allow them to slip off easier...gonzo.

Top Bottom