I've had it with Snark!

Moxieuke

Reaction score
The head keeps falling off the stem! This last one I've had for a total of two months before the head snapped off. And I can no longer return it to the store, and the company wants me to pay for postage and insurance to fix it, which just isn't worth it to me.

Can anyone recommend a GOOD tuner that will actually last?

What are you using it for? A baseball?

Snark! Sorry, have heard nothing but complements up till now. I have 2 and no problems. Had them for a few years now.

I'd say try another Snark too. I have had three for over a year, they take a lickin and still hold together.

One of the tabs broke on my Snark not long after I got it.
Before it could break completely off I wrapped it in a gumband. It's lasted quite a while but when it gives up I'll get something different.

DSCN0106.jpg

Great idea John, although I never heard "gum band". But then again, I don't get out much.

I have two I want to try that on.

Ditto. Have had a couple for a year and a half.

John, that's exactly what happened on mine. I adjusted it to face me, then the tab broke off and the head came loose. I've had this happen twice and I don't think I'm very forceful with them.

I really like your fix with the gum band. I'll definitely try that.

I've had no problem with mine (but I haven't sat on it either :rolleyes:)

If a tab breaks can't one just glue the head to the stem in an appropriate position?

To answer your question: this is what you want. Blindingly accurate and superbly discreet, and just about the same price as a Snark too-

I have no financial interest in this product!

Mine resides in the outside pocket of a very snug padded gig bag. No doubt it got leaned on or something set on top of it.
I have a new Snark that stays at home and is my favorite.
When the gumbanded one finally gives up the ghost I'll need to get something more flat for the gig bag pocket.

To answer your question: this is what you want. Blindingly accurate and superbly discreet, and just about the same price as a Snark too-

Thanks for posting this. I like my snark, but have been wanting to get one of these because it's so small and I won't feel like a dork if I forget I have it on my uke.

I have a tiki gogo tuner I am very happy with. It is surprising accurate. I have a Peterson stroboclip when I want to check it. The tiki gets used every day no issues whatsoever.

@Kayak Jim
I tried plastic model cement to no avail. That bit is like a snap and needs to be kind of springy. The cement I tried wasn't springy. Perhaps another type of glue could work.

@redpaul1
That looks pretty neat. :)

EDIT:
@Kayak Jim
I think I misunderstood you at first. I tried to glue the tab back on. I see you're suggesting gluing the meter right to the post... that would probably work if you didn't mind losing the pivot.

Last edited:

To anybody who is looking to buy this product, be aware that Planet Waves recently released a new tuner to replace the Mini--it's called the Micro. Here's a thread with a discussion of both tuners.

John, I just tried your fix and it worked! It pivots too. I thought the rubber band might absorb the vibration and make it not work or work incorrectly but everything seems to function fine. I now have two working snarks where previously I had none. Thanks so much!

I have the GoGo also and find it bullet proof. I just received a free Planet Waves micro mini that recently came out. It's really small, comes with a metronome and the reading flips either way depending if you attach it on top of the peghead or below. I like the PW in that it doesn't stick out like other tuners do.

Top Bottom