Flea & flukers-string advice please

bunnyf

Reaction score
Got my concert flea used and it came with black strings on it. I have no idea what they are. When I'm ready to change them, what would you recommend? I usually go with Aquila, but is there something that you particularly like on your Flea?

I like Worth CMs on my Tenor Fluke, Martin M600s on my Concert Flea :)

I have Living Water strings on mine. I prefer them to Aquilas which is what they came with. More mellow than Aquilas.

I have Martin M600 on my concert Flea. They sound nice and bright. A little less volume than the Aquilas but more sustain and nice balance. They are a flourocarbon string so they go to good tension. They settle in about a week then hold tune very well. They are widely available (I can get them in town) and not too expensive ($5 for a set). I will go with Worth strings on my other ukuleles. Martins are just fine on the Flea.

The Magic Fluke company has recently changed the strings their instruments with to D'Addario Nyltech (made in America with a proprietary formula developed with Aquila). I like them a lot. They sound more like the old Aquila Nylguts but feel smoother and are much more consistent.

Scooter

I like living water and PhD strings on my tenor flea.

I reay like living Water strings on my soprano flea. Clear but not brash.

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure it's time for a string change since I surprisingly play my flea alot, even tho I have finer ukes. It's my take everywhere uke (beach, camping, car trips) and it's always handy sitting on the end table when I'm chillin' on the couch. I find myself reaching for it to strum all the time.Other ukes are nearby but the flea(sitting nicely on it's flat little bottom) is just so easy to grab. Time to treat it to some nice strings. Anyway, I'm curious as to how the sound will change and want to experiment. I will get $5-10 worth of fun out of it easily. Thanks again for the suggestions.

You've gotten so many answers you may spend more on strings than the Flea, but I guess it's fun to experiment. I switched out the black strings on both my Flea and Fluke for Aquilas, and have seen no reason to change them, as they sound and play fine.

I think the original black strings that came on them were Hilos, at least that's what I read somewhere, and I do have some sets of Hilos that look and feel the same (I don't like them as well as Aquila nylguts, but wanted black strings for a couple of pineapples I had an artist paint).

I agree, the Flea is great for a travel uke. I'm not as fond of the Fluke because the body design makes the high frets more difficult to use, but the Flea in its denim bag has been all over, on bus tours, planes, and just seems like the logical one to bring when you may have to stuff it in overhead compartments.

Thanks Flyinby, I was hoping there would be more of a consensus (but there never is with strings, is there? it's a personal pref.thing). I'm gonna change out to Aquila nylagut as they are inexpensive and easy to get locally. I think I'll save my experiment with stuff like living waters for my other "fancier" ukes. Gotta love the Flea for a kickin' around uke..it takes a lickin' and keeps on flickin'

Aloha Bunny,
Since the original strings were thinner guage strings...stay with them....they offer more comfort and playability for people who have not broken in their strength and memory in their fingers
You sacafrice on tone with less tension but get improved comfort and playability.... living waters, PHd, worth clears, Martin M600, oasis are great strings to think about....good luck and happy strummings

Thanks Flyinby, I was hoping there would be more of a consensus (but there never is with strings, is there? it's a personal pref.thing). I'm gonna change out to Aquila nylagut as they are inexpensive and easy to get locally. I think I'll save my experiment with stuff like living waters for my other "fancier" ukes. Gotta love the Flea for a kickin' around uke..it takes a lickin' and keeps on flickin'

Just 'cause they are inexpensive you probably check the d'addario nylguts (as others suggested) or a set of martin m600's. I'm just not a fan of the new aquilas. I think the m600s are probably more locally available in general.

Honestly I've been happy with everything I've put martin m600s on except the ODU.

Hey there Stan. Are you saying to stay with the black ones that were on there (Hilos?). I've only been playing for a year or two and even though I play a ton (several hours a day), I have some arthritis in my knuckles and don't have a great deal of hand strength.

I like D'Addario T2s and Ko'olau Alohi strings on my Flukes.

Hey there Stan. Are you saying to stay with the black ones that were on there (Hilos?). I've only been playing for a year or two and even though I play a ton (several hours a day), I have some arthritis in my knuckles and don't have a great deal of hand strength.
Not sure B, but try the lighter guage strings for lower tension to make it easier for comfort and playability....light guage fleurocarbons...martins M600 a tiny bit thicker is a best
all around strings.... but Oasis is very good..... then probally....living waters, worths clear light, PHD etc it will be the best for your artrithic hands..

Top Bottom