Nylon Strings

NewKid

Reaction score
I just put Kala SF (Single Filament) Red nylon strings (with a wound Low-G) on my MP Custom tenor and got the volume and resonance I was looking for. The strings are much thicker than I'm used to and the tension is surprisingly high but I like it.

Any other tenor nylon string fans out there? Please post your recommendations. Thanks.

I just put Kala SF (Single Filament) Red nylon strings (with a wound Low-G) on my MP Custom tenor and got the volume and resonance I was looking for. The strings are much thicker than I'm used to and the tension is surprisingly high but I like it.

Any other tenor nylon string fans out there? Please post your recommendations. Thanks.

D'addario Pro Arte...I tried them cuz Jake used them. The sounded fine but they were a little too thick for me.

I love D'addario nylon and Ko'olau Alohi on my Baritone ukes.. gives them a warm, classical kinda sound...on tenor/concert/soprano, i prefer fluorocarbon and nylgut though :p they give the small instrument more life than nylon in my opinion

I love D'addario nylon and Ko'olau Alohi on my Baritone ukes.. gives them a warm, classical kinda sound...on tenor/concert/soprano, i prefer fluorocarbon and nylgut though :p they give the small instrument more life than nylon in my opinion

you do know the Alohi's are DiAddario T-2's right....

On the right instrument Ko'olau Golds, Ko'olau Mahanas or Hilos sound good (I like them with the wound C).
The Pepe Romero tenors can sound pretty good with LaBella nylon strings.

I really don't care for the Kamaka (D'Addario) black nylon strings.

Are the T2's or Alohi strings nylon? I didn't think so.

you do know the Alohi's are DiAddario T-2's right....

Yes, but the gauges are slightly different.. if I recall correctly, the Alohi has thicker wound strings than the D'addario T2's.

By D'addario nylon, I was referring to their regular clear nylon strings.

Yes, but the gauges are slightly different.. if I recall correctly, the Alohi has thicker wound strings than the D'addario T2's.

By D'addario nylon, I was referring to their regular clear nylon strings.

sorry I am just guessing...as usual

On the right instrument Ko'olau Golds, Ko'olau Mahanas or Hilos sound good (I like them with the wound C).
The Pepe Romero tenors can sound pretty good with LaBella nylon strings.

I really don't care for the Kamaka (D'Addario) black nylon strings.

Are the T2's or Alohi strings nylon? I didn't think so.

Hey Doc...pretty sure the T-2's and Alohi strings are nylon..
but I am guessing again...haha

Well...I just switched out the Kala Red nylons. I liked the volume but the thickness of the strings made the instrument not feel like an ukulele. Back to Aquila Nylguts tuned to Bb for now. Thanks everyone for the nylon string recommendations. I'll probably give the T2s a chance next since they sound like they may be thinner nylons.

Len, I checked the manufacturer sites Alohi & T2 strings are "monofilament" (not nylon, maybe PVDF)
Seems only the g string is a different diameter. The larger diameter used in Alohi g string will make them sound a little warmer.

D'addario's website:
"D'Addario EJ87T sets are designed for use with tenor ukuleles utilizing our bright sounding titanium material. This set is optimized for standard GCEA tuning.
D'Addario Titanium Ukulele strings are crafted from a dense monofilament material that has an attractive, translucent purple hue and a polished, smooth feel similar to nylon. This unique material is particularly beneficial to Ukulele’s due to its slightly brighter tone and increased projection, resulting in more volume, clarity and dynamics.
Optimized for Tenor Ukuleles tuned to standard GCEA tuning
Titanium monofilament material for brightness and projection
Preferred for their modern, projecting tone
String Gauges: Titanium .029, .033, .041, .029
Made in the U.S.A. for the highest quality and performance"

From the Ko'olau site: Alohi info
Tenor 4-String Plain:
4th G – .032 Plain Monofilament
3rd C – .041 Plain Monofilament
2nd E – .033 Plain Monofilament
1st A – .029 Plain Monofilament
From Elderly:
'ALOHI SERIES - Four strings, all strings plain. Made of a dense, hard monofilament material instead of nylon. Tone is bright and projection is strong."

Well...I just switched out the Kala Red nylons. I liked the volume but the thickness of the strings made the instrument not feel like an ukulele. Back to Aquila Nylguts tuned to Bb for now. Thanks everyone for the nylon string recommendations. I'll probably give the T2s a chance next since they sound like they may be thinner nylons.

T2/Alohi are really thick :p

Always been a fan of Aquila Nylguts... never understood the bad rap they sometimes get on this forum. I think they sound great.

I love nylon strings, D'Addario T2, Pro Arte, Black Nylon are great. None of pure fluorocarbon strings sets I fell in love with. Now I am enjoying the Southcoast strings.

I like combine D'Addario Black Nylon (the 3rd is wound C) with Fremont soloist wound G. That will give two wound bass and two black nylon treble strings. Black nylon sounds less bright (or call it dark?), but give much bass. I don't know how to descript the sound. My bad English. They are not dull, quite lively actually. But I feel even the treble strings were giving the bass feeling. That is hard to descript but I like that feeling.

I went to Pro Arte strings, after I sit at the front row watched Jake's concert in my hometown. Because I heard that's the one he was using. They sounds clear, brighter, and sweet. The treble strings have more resonance. The bass string (C) is clear, less boom. All three nylon model strings have the common thing - sweet. I guess its their thickness.

Well, at first the T2 wasn't in my trying plan. I just accidently bought them when I was window shopping. I remember many members here said good things about them. They sounds the brightest in three models. Even the bass string (C) is bright. I like them when I want bright happy music.

I share my humble experience with nylon strings here to fit the topic. My personal preference of strings (I only play one main tenor ukulele, I love him) -

To Try List: SC MLCM (linear)
SC MLSW (linear) > D'A Black Nylon + Fremont Wound G (linear) > SC MUW3 > D'A Black Nylon > Savarez > D'A T2 > D'A Pro Arte > D'A Nyltech > Living Water > Worth Clear / Brown > Aquila

Top Bottom