The cheaper the better

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uke is cheap and made in China, but it plays alright. After converting USD to my country's currency, it's not so cheap, but still alright. If I have a lot of disposable income, I'd definitely go for a better quality uke, but for now, my cheap made in China uke is fine. Not like I can tell if the intonation is on or off at this point. :p

...actually, if I have all the money in the world, I'd rather use it to travel and gain more experience. Now THAT would definitely not end up in a landfill. ;)

As to landfills...

I imagine my Dolphin will outlive me. As will the Oscar Schmidts, Kalas and Mainlands I'm fortunate enough to have in my life. It's also likely that I will never possess the skill, try try as a I may, to deliver the full magic each of them has waiting inside. Yes, even the plastic Carnival soprano. It's almost an embarrassment of riches. They all delight me.

gCEA!

There is a place for all Ukulele's in America!...

Remember,... Every instument sold whether imported or domestic, helps each individual music store survive.

I never send my cheap ukes to landfills. It's cold, dark and dirty there. I give them to beginners with the promise they will pass them on when they upgrade to a fancy CR.

Cheap ukes rule!

As do all cheap products made in countries where the minimum wage is well under the $8.75 an hour that I cannot pay my employees because even the most raw starting guys are worth at least $11.00 an hour.

All you "cheap is good" folks should be working for minimum wage...China-style...for a while. Yeah, you're hip; you're smart; you've got it way ahead of the bourgeoisie in the US. You've got it all figured out. Out-source it and it's great. WalMart is King.

F-you...

And then maybe someday you'll want goods and products that aren't predetermined to be land fill. Maybe you'll want to buy stuff that you can proudly hand off to your kids who will appreciate your taste and intelligence. Maybe you'll decide to leave behind more than you came in with.

That's what it is with buying good s**, whether it's a dining room table or a good uke. It's about not buying into the consumer culture where all goods are obsolete in two years. It's about adding to the wealth of the next generation, not depleting the earth of resources. It's about supporting a sustainable future where we leave the earth with better than we found it when we came in.

This is why I revere the vintage instruments I own while trying to carry on the tradition of making really good stuff. I want to be building the vintage instruments of the future. I want to create ukes, guitars, etc. that will be valued as great musical tools 100, 200, and 300 years from now.

And that is what makes expensive instruments inexpensive in the long run.

And they're not f...ing land fill in ten years like your cheap ukes will be...

Rick, saying "F-you..." to a wide swath of our members is not okay in this forum. I don't care who it comes from. Take a week to chill out.

My uke is cheap and made in China, but it plays alright. After converting USD to my country's currency, it's not so cheap, but still alright. If I have a lot of disposable income, I'd definitely go for a better quality uke, but for now, my cheap made in China uke is fine. Not like I can tell if the intonation is on or off at this point. :p

...actually, if I have all the money in the world, I'd rather use it to travel and gain more experience. Now THAT would definitely not end up in a landfill. ;)

I totally agree. It's a matter of where your priorities are.
In general I'm not a fan of cheap, disposable crap. (I remember when there were fix-it shops that you could bring in your TV or toaster to get repaired.)
How much I'm willing to spend on something is directly proportional to how important it is is my life. When it comes to clothes, I'm thrilled to go to WalMart and buy shorts for $9 and and tank tops for $6. My 15 year old truck is all the vehicle I'll ever need; I've got no place to go on an island anyway. Real, durable goods that improve the quality of my life are my passion; shop tools and garden equipment. I have some that are almost as old as I am. Travel is another thing I'm not shy of spending money on. The things I love really enrich my life and some of those things come with a price tag. Other things I know I'll only use once, it'll fall apart and I'll throw it away. I'm OK with that as long as the price reflects it's cheap quality.
I am not threatened by all the cheap ukes out there. The more ukes that are in the market of any quality is good for the ukulele world in general. The more the merrier! At the same time I am deeply saddened that we live in a disposable world, a world in which we disregard our environment and natural resources. I'd rather have a few good quality things, things I value and love than be surrounded by a bunch of junk. We've turned a corner in screwing up our planet and I'm afraid there's no turning back. Make responsible consumer choices. Know your priorities.

Last edited:
I agree with Mr. Moore.

Anyone know any company that builds a good microwave? My first one lasted 25 years. Only gave it away because someone gave me a smaller shiny one. In five years I have retired 3 smaller shiny ones, all POS.

Shoulda kept the big ugly monster. Bet it's still running.

I totally agree. It's a matter of where your priorities are.
In general I'm not a fan of cheap, disposable crap. (I remember when there were fix-it shops that you could bring in your TV or toaster to get repaired.)
How much I'm willing to spend on something is directly proportional to how important it is is my life. When it comes to clothes, I'm thrilled to go to WalMart and buy shorts for $9 and and tank tops for $6. My 15 year old truck is all the vehicle I'll ever need; I've got no place to go on an island anyway. Real, durable goods that improve the quality of my life are my passion; shop tools and garden equipment. I have some that are almost as old as I am. Travel is another thing I'm not shy of spending money on. The things I love really enrich my life and some of those things come with a price tag. Other things I know I'll only use once, it'll fall apart and I'll throw it away. I'm OK with that as long as the price reflects it's cheap quality.
I am not threatened by all the cheap ukes out there. The more ukes that are in the market of any quality is good for the ukulele world in general. The more the merrier! At the same time I am deeply saddened that we live in a disposable world, a world in which we disregard our environment and natural resources. I've rather have a few good quality things, things I value and love and be surrounded by a bunch of junk. We've turned a corner in screwing up our planet and I'm afraid there's no turning back. Make responsible consumer choices. Know your priorities.

This.

(And, since you love to travel, I'll have you deliver my ukulele - when I order it, finally! - to Bermuda! *grin*)

I also disagree with that rant, I now have five ukes that I bought for under $200 each, and the first one, a plastic Mahalo, I sold to a ukulele mate for her grandson. If it ever comes a time that I will get rid of any others, I will either sell or give it to someone who will make use of it. (Just to add a moment of my own rant, I stopped using my garbage disposal after reading a report that so much ocean pollution is coming from using the disposal, instead of before it's invention when people put wet garbage in the garden as mulch.)

I have a DaSilva, two Mya-Moe's, a Vento and a KoAloha in my collection along with a few vintage and many ordinary and lesser priced ukuleles.
I love ukulele, I find joy in playing any of them. I enjoy playing with others no matter what kind or price ukulele they have.
The bottom line is we all different values and resources.

Thread has strayed off course

I don't know if there has been a thread on this before, and it's hard to search for.

The thread is about - your view of the enjoyment of low end ukes.

All my life, regardless of what instrument I played at the time, I always sought low end - low priced - equipment. It may seem strange, but I get satisfaction out of getting good tone out of something that doesn't cost much.

I'm totally not into instruments that are works of art. I can appreciate them a great deal from a distance, but I have no desire to own them.
Instead, I have always gravitated towards low end, ordinary stuff - that I try to get the most out of.

You?

This thread has strayed from the original post a wee bit.

I'm exactly the same UkeKiddinMe. It's a definite thing which I also get a buzz from. Some people sexually are into wearing gimp masks whilst sitting on carrots. When it comes to ukulele I'm into finding a bargain uke and making it into something special myself, improving it. psychologically I think it's like saving a fallen women?

I'd just like to state I don't, nor have I ever worn a gimp mask whilst engaged in the act of coitus and have never saved a fallen woman, especially the ones who like to jump from high buildings.

I'd just like to state I don't, nor have I ever worn a gimp mask whilst engaged in the act of coitus and have never saved a fallen woman, especially the ones who like to jump from high buildings.

+1 (well, not that anyone can prove) :nana:

"The sweetness of low price doesn't last nearly as long as the bitterness of poor quality."
You've got to find the right quality to price ratio that is right for you.
And I will always pay a bit more to support domestic industry.
I don't need a Mercedes, but I won't settle for a Yugo even if it runs good.
And I refuse to get a buzz from getting a super cheap deal on the backs of underpaid and overworked labor.
Elitist? Snob? Whatever.
Also, you will never see me in a Walmart.
Ever.

I notice a lot of American folk keep going on about these Walmarts, what exactly are they and whats so wrong with them?

It's a large box store chain that sells a bit of everything, probably the largest in the US. Like anything that large, it develops a fringe element who thinks they are evil incarnate (remember the 'Bill Gates is Satan' posters?) Some might call that element a 'lunatic fringe', but I suppose it depends on your point of view. I probably wouldn't buy a uke there because they don't handle any that I like, but then I can think of at least one other I wouldn't buy one from after reading some of these posts.

I have a smiley-face Mahalo that can't help but bring a smile from kids etc. and a Chinese-made watermelon pineapple that has outstandingly perfect intonation after a bit of nut and saddle work. I don't care what country they're made in, there are decent people everywhere, and just because someone is in the US doesn't in itself qualify them as someone I'd want to buy from.

The thing is, a lot of the small businesses buy through Sams Club, which is Walmart. So unless you're gonna go off the grid and start growing your own food and attempt an entirely different life you will be supporting the main corporations. Whether you know or not.

We ran Higher Ground Coffee and Music Cafe for a little over 2 years with only local grown organic foods and coffee and only locally made products. We lost a ton of money every month until we had call it quits. Ironically, our music store sold enough guitars and keyboards made in China to keep us afloat. For a lot of local uke builders their import line does a similar thing. The problem is not a race of people or the origin of a product. It's greed & no one is gonna solve it. Be nice to your family and give your best at work, the attainable. Walmart wholesales and you aren't aware to whom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom