dad's workshop

Ed Gilkison

Reaction score
Hi Guys-
2011 june 041.jpg After dad had a heart attack a few years ago, it was a bit too much of a walk to get out to the big boat shed - so we enclosed part of the porch off the kitchen for his personal workshop/luthier studio. - Now it is only about four steps to get into the kitchen , and another five or six to his chair in the living room. -
He is now on oxygen quite a bit of the time - too many years of smoking he says- so having 'his shed' now attached to the house - works for us all. - best of all - he is still building! He started a figure 8 style tenor for one of the grand kids. - and the living room wall is lined with ukes! Thanks guys, for all your support and ideas freely given here in the " luthier's lounge " .
Best Wishes to ALL of you from me and the crew here at the Lazy G Ranch for helping keep dad's interest in building - he just turned 84 and still enjoys and looks forward to making dust and shavings!
Ed

Thank you for doing the stuff it took to help keep your dad going in the shop.

Amen! I could stare at that picture all day long. My dad's now gone, but I still take a few moments now and then to sit at his bench and run my hands over the tool marks and marvel at the benchmarks that guided his work.

What a great photo, and thanks for sharing such a heart warming story. Both my parents are gone, but my Dad had a little wood shop and I still treasure some of his wonderful creations.

Very Cool Pic...
Thanks for sharing.

Hi Guys,
Sorry to report ma dad Larry, passed away last week on Friday, at age 90. Thank You for all your help in advising him on setting up his little workshop and freely sharing your luthier wisdom -
My Best Wishes to every one of you,
- Ed Gilkison , Lakebay Washington USA

Hi Guys,
Sorry to report ma dad Larry, passed away last week on Friday, at age 90. Thank You for all your help in advising him on setting up his little workshop and freely sharing your luthier wisdom -
My Best Wishes to every one of you,
- Ed Gilkison , Lakebay Washington USA

My condolences on your loss, your original post was well before my time here but ‘if a picture tells a thousand words’ then he was a great old guy. The support that you gave him with his workshop is something special, I think you can be proud of yourself and I guess that all of us here wish for such kind and supportive children.

I have some of my own father’s tools and use them with pride and pleasure, they are a link to someone that I cared about and I’m sure he’d be very pleased that they are being used and loved. Perhaps, as time goes by, you might like to pick up some of your own father’s tools yourself and take pleasure in their use.

sorry for your loss but glad you had the extra time with him. Being around, and able to do the things you love, can really extend life. I'm sure it made him very happy. Hope he taught you lots if building's an interest of yours.

Top Bottom