Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tenor tuning - do you prefer hi or low g?

Default Tenor tuning - do you prefer hi or low g?

I don't have alot of uke experience, and have never tried low g tuning, although I do play guitar.
    Do you prefer low g or standard high g tuning?
    I don't think I would like a wound low g.
    Who sells unwound low g sets, and is it recommended on a tenor?

Thanks
    Len

Low G, especially if you play blues. Lot of makers offer non-wound low-G. Try Living Water, Worth's.

Steve

Low G for me
    Kathryn

To me, the thing that defines a ukulele is the high-g reentrant tuning. It gives you those close-voiced chords that you can't get any other way. It also opens up a set of effects playing fingerstyle that you can't get otherwise. Its differences and limitations are also its strengths.
    Tim Mullins

1920s Martin Style 1 Soprano
    1940s Martin 1T Tenor
    2005 National Resophonics Vintage Steel Concert

Give your ukulele truly hands-free support
    -- with no modification to your instrument.
    Mobius Strap: A Ukulele Strap with a New Twist

I use low G for playing fingerstyle, which is 90% of what I do on the uke. I use high G if I am strumming along with singers for some reason. I have two tenors, so I keep one in each tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mullins View Post
    To me, the thing that defines a ukulele is the high-g reentrant tuning. It gives you those close-voiced chords that you can't get any other way. It also opens up a set of effects playing fingerstyle that you can't get otherwise. Its differences and limitations are also its strengths.
    I agree. There are some songs that the low G is really great for - for example Cry me a River or It don't mean a thing if it ....... But that's because the bass line in the chord melody line in each of them is so strong. But for the vast majority of music, I kind of find low G to be a bit washed out sounding - guitar like but not really enough so. So I enjoy playing the uke that sounds like a uke. And the high G is really cool for finger picking melody- like melodic 5 string banjo.

Duk

Same as DRjond. I play mostly in Linear (low) G for fingerpickin and jazz

To me, the thing that defines a ukulele is the high-g reentrant tuning. It gives you those close-voiced chords that you can't get any other way. It also opens up a set of effects playing fingerstyle that you can't get otherwise. Its differences and limitations are also its strengths
    - Tim Mullins

Me too! I love re-entrant tuning - it's so...... UKEY! I wouldn't even attempt to justify it, or convince you. I came to the realisation that it was my natural element after years of trials of low G on all size ukes (most recently - after really holding out, on baritone too)
    Try both tunings, and give them both a fair go ( I mean live with them for a long time) Play all sorts of music, in all sorts of climatic conditions, and wearing many different out-fits. Find your tuning Grasshopper

I have yet to dry a low g on a uke but after this thread im thinking of giving it a try since it seems a lot of people like it!

Like most of us I have one low g strung ukulele and I like it. But most of the time I find myself liking the standard hi g tuning. To me the sound really gives me the ukulele feel and sound. If you have a couple of ukes you can use one for low g and see how you like it.

Thread Information