Making instruments from the best material available

They use more than 100% of the instrument and make better music out from it. This is amazing. Thanks for the sharing. I must play my ukulele better.

What an incredible testament to the human spirit! Those kids have nothing yet strive to lift the soul through music.

What an amazing story.

It is always amazing, and hopeful, to see the soul assert itself. It is fitting that this should be my first post on these forums, as I too make musical instruments from junk. Here is one of them (not the best or most recent, but the photo was handy).

Cohiba_Trash cropped.jpg

Everything -except the strings, tuning pegs, and fret-wire- is from a trash bin or a construction site scrap pile, and since building this one I started making my own pegs and fretting with brazing rod scraps. The work is all done with basic hand tools.

I respectfully must disagree with the notion that "those kids have nothing..." Yes, they are certainly poor, but they seem to be healthy and happy, they live in a community that supports and nourishes its children, they love music, and they derive real pleasure from attempting to master something that is inherently difficult. What else matters, really? Perhaps they have it all.

“Men have learned to travel farther and faster, and in greater comfort, though on errands not conspicuously improved. This, I believe, is called progress.” Willis Fisher

Top Bottom