Koa wood Soprano Kit

SeaArtNancy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm considering trying my hand at building a uke and came across a thread from a while ago that mentions a kit sold by Grizzly Industrial. I thought starting out this way would be a great path in testing the waters! And I'd like to get a little crazy- adding inlay art. I have a strong background in woodcarving- but all sculptural, I've never created anything precise...

Are any of you familiar with the final Grizzly Koa product? It's playability?

If there were any luthier classes in Florida, I'd definitely sign up!
Thanks so much!!!!
Nancy

If you have the tools to cut the wood pieces shown in the kit.....I'd build it from scratch yourself.
I don't know much about the koa kit....but the wood shown looks pretty plain. Pretty steep price for unfigured woods

Take a vacation in Hawaii and try this class...or does Loprenzi have classes

any way can get some kind of kit with instruction manual and a blueprint if you wanted to try it...

www.hanalima.com

good luck

I'd LOVE to hop on a plane to Hawaii and take the class at HanaLima!!!! Maybe in the spring depending on how my husband's new brewery is doing...besides my full time job and sculpting for 2 galleries, I have a strong feeling I'm going to be pouring lots and lots of drafts at tap room! Thanks everyone for all your advice! And Chuck- you're amazing ukes are what inspired me to take the jump and try one!!! I am totally enthralled with your beautiful work!!!!! I have a full studio of woodworking tools,( started woodcarving when I was 10 yrs old), I might even consider making a Tahitian style uke for fun, but for starters I think the kit might help me to understand the inner guts of a uke and I have a local luthier who can help/offer advice/ have a brilliant laugh in case I get stuck...
Have a great weekend!

I wonder if it's "real" koa or another acacia? Even if another, as you say Nancy, there's a lot of learnin' to be gained from building your own.

I think a kit is a nice beginning. I built a mandolin from a kit a few years ago. I learned a lot - mostly what not to do - and had fun doing it. With a decent setup I think it would play nicely.

Have fun and if you go for it post some pics for us to see.

Top Bottom