sapele koalana concert

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
There is a sapele wood koalana concert at a local store that has been tempting me for quite awhile. Great volume and tone. Fun to play and really hard to put down .I've played it back to back with a koa koaloha concert and I am not sure which sound I like better but I think it might actually be the koalana.

I know about the cracking issues regarding koalanas but they come with the better than the weather guarantee so I am not too worried. Plus this particular one has been hanging in the store for quite awhile so has likely acclimated to the local climate just fine.

What are you experiences with these instruments? Are the friction tuners different than the Koaloha ones? Am I crazy to consider paying $350 for one of these when it seems one can get a used koaloha soprano or concert for <= $500?

Your advice is appreciated.

My advice based solely on my experience is to buy a different brand. My concert Koalana opened up on the top within a few days of arriving at my home despite keeping it in the case with the included humidifier when not playing. The friction tuners were the worst tuners I've ever encountered. They were put on half-assed and would not tighten up so I removed them, tossed them, and put on a set of workable geared tuners. The sides of the instrument are glued on the end - that joint shows glue stains around it and a slight opening. During the summer the crack on the top has disappeared due to the high humidity where I live. During the coming months when not in use it will be in a case, in a plastic bag, with one or two holes and a damp sponge hanging through the sound hole in a plastic baggie with a couple holes in it. My Koalana does have a very nice sound on the delicate and airy side.

I have both the Koalana soprano and concert. I have had no issues with either one of mine. I find them to be just as easy keepers as any other brand I own. I didn' t have any trouble with my friction tuners either. They stay in tune remarkably well for me, even when the uke hasn't been out of its case in a period of time; it is still holding close to in tune. I read all the threads about cracking/seams separating and such, I don't know if I am lucky or what, but both have performed well. I do live in Florida, where the humidity is high--maybe that is a contributing factor? I keep them in Oahu cases. I purchased them both fall of 2012. Don't know if this helps you or not.

I do have those weird clay pot humidifiers in my cases. Hercos? I have no idea if they help at all. In the winter (when the heat is on), I occasionally take all my wood ukes into my large bathroom and let them enjoy the steam from the shower--no, they don't get IN the shower :). Maybe this is the magic ingredient--ukulele spas. I have Koalanas, Mainlands, Flukes/Fleas and Kamakas in my house (and my beloved Blackbird, but she doesn't really count cause she is a tough girl) and have had no structural issues with any of these guys.

YMMV. Koalanas have a unique sound, lovely and light as Bill Mc mentioned. I played the snot out of the sop last winter when I was trying to figure out which size uke called to me, and it is really fun and hardy. At first I thought sops were the bees knees--low tension, tiny, cute voice. Then I thought to try concerts...they were good for a bit, but I never bonded with the Koalana Concert like I did the sop. Then I discovered Tenors with Low G. AH HA! Uke Nirvana!! I guess I am a tenor girl. So, I will probably unload my sops and concerts--they just sit (as do most of my tenors since the Blackbird came into my life)--but it won't be for any issues.

I guess as with anything, it is a dice roll. Bill Mc looks like he really has struggled with his Koalana :( and that sounds horribly frustrating!! Maybe some other Koalana owners can chime in? Guess it comes down to how bad you want it?

Last edited:
Can get an awfully nice Pono for that kind of money, especially if used, blem, or refurbed, often with a Ko'olau hardshell case.

Thanks for your responses.

Bill Mc. Have you considered cashing in on their warranty? I think you can get a brand new uke right? Or at least a free repair. Also do you know which batch of Koalanas that came from? I have heard there were two runs of them. I have heard both had cracking issues but that in many other respects the 2nd run was much better.

Nikita. If you are looking to sell either of your koalanas send me a PM. Saving money off the brand new price would make this a much more appealing purchase.

Phil. I totally agree. But I already have a Pono (which I love) but the koalana I played has a completely different sound which would be good for different types of music.

Anyone else have a koalana they love or hate?

I have two friends who love their Ko'Alana very much. Personally I also like the sound and the physical ukulele itself. It looks very much like Ko'Aloha. I am also very tempted to get one if it is available in Singapore.

I played with a friend's KoAlona. Love the tone, and it's the most playable ukulele I've ever touched. She lives in a tropical country, so no issues with cracking.

I have two friends who love their Ko'Alana very much. Personally I also like the sound and the physical ukulele itself. It looks very much like Ko'Aloha. I am also very tempted to get one if it is available in Singapore.

They have it in Thailand (it's made there anyway). If you're travelling there for vacation or otherwise you can take a look.

I have a KoAlana concert from last year. This. Is. My. Favorite. 'Ukulele!

It is part of the production run that had such bad humidity/cracking problems. I've been told that most of the humidity related cracking problems happen in the first month. If this has been hanging uncased in a shop for awhile I think it is past the worst risk. In the Midwest, USA we have huge annual swings in relative humidity, made worse by air conditioning and central heating. I've been a humidifier freak with mine, using two Oasis and checking them every day or two. I HAVE HAD NO CRACKING PROBLEM.

This 'ukulele has an almost magical sound to me. Great sustain, wonderful overtones, easy action. I've since bought a KoAloha pineapple because I like my KoAlana so much. The satin finish is nice. I prefer it to gloss. It does polish in places though. Where my right arm holds the body as I strum and below the strumming area have both taken a polish from playing. I like it. It makes me look like I play a lot.

Buy it. I doubt you will regret it.

Yes, I think Sapele is the same family as mahogany. In any case, I think the Koalana concert is great. Bought one last year. Loved the sound and gave it to my daughter to take to college. Yes the tuners are a pain. Will update to Gotoh sometime.

I understand that KoAloha will not be producing any more Koalana models. I think the factory did so well, they are going carry the KoAloha name as an import. I have the model from 2012. I understand that the guys from Hawaii were there helping out, so the QC was great.

Happy strumming!

I love my Koalana. No cracking issues. It is a second run. I live in a fairly humid spot - Vancouver BC maybe that has something to do with it. I an considering a Tenor now and am waiting to see if a sapele Koaloha Opio becomes a reality before I commit to a Pono...
Not Sure how to verify if this used one you are looking at is a flawed 1st run or a 2nd run.... If it were me, cracked means stay away....
BP

Isn't the Koalana from thailand a mahogany uke????

No, KoAlana is made from sapele, which is not mahogany although they're from the same genus. Sapele is environmentally friendly meaning the trees grow fast. Mahogany is slow growing, hence not environmentally friendly.

Top Bottom