Just lost a friend

RIP, Mike. You'll be missed! :(

Hard to imagine a world full of ukes without the "Music Guy" It's quite a tribute to be mourned by so many that didn't really know him personally. His sweetness shined through everything he did. Bet he got the angels playing uke right about how.

I am deeply saddened to learn of Mike's passing.
I have a great memory of jamming with him at HMS, he was playing u-bass and we were having a ball.
I wonder how many angels he has already convinced to switch from harp to ukulele!
I'm sure he is having a great jam session with Iz and Gabby and so many others.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his close friends and family.

I must have meet Mike in high school at some point but didn't remember him. He self admittedly missed a lot of school during those days and just wanted to play music. I met him again a few years ago at the old shop in Kaneohe and we talked story for a long time while his phone constantly went off and he answered calls. He was always known for his customer service and would not try and up sell anyone. He was already sick then and on the transplant list but he never complained about it. He was always in and out of the hospital but always went back to work as soon as he could. I will truly miss him. Too many good people are passing away these past years.

I didn't know Mike and I have now missed a chance to buy a Uke from him (still saving),but I can tell from the post's it is my loss as it is obvious he was a generous and loved man who shared "Uke Aloha" with many. My Condolences to his Family and many Friends. I am sure he was warmly welcomed at the Kanikapila in the Sky,and will be saving seats for us when it is our time.

RIP Mike, Never forgotten

I bought a few Ukes from Mike over the years. He always gave me a fair price. Several years ago he came to my little corner of hell for a Hawaiian Festival. I had the pleasure to sit and play music with him for a while. He was (in the ancient language of my people) a mensch.

I bought my first uke from Mike when he had his ebay store. I never met him, but I felt like I knew him from his videos and I always thought fondly of him. My condolences to all who were close to him.

Horrible, horrible news. I'm so sad. But he brought so much happiness and aloha with all the ukuleles he sold. Such a loss.

Can't believe that I woke up to such devastating news. Mike's advice was instrumental in picking my first uke...I wish I got to meet him in person. My condolences to all his family and friends. :(

Perhaps UU members (and their friends) from around the world could play a tune in his honor, all at the same time (say, 12 noon Hawaiian time) and day?

May the Road rise to meet your feet...

Blessings...I am so very sorry! I have just about met everyone else there in voice or in person...save MGM...but i know him through his lessons and videos and wonderful spirit...I wish I could make it better...this just sucks!

Aloha and thanks for sharing a piece of your life with us MGM!

Our MGM is gone....:(

I'm so saddened by the loss of Michael Aratani, aka MGM. He was truly full of the Aloha Spirit and loved the ukulele. RIP MGM!
mgm.jpg

I bought my first uke from Mike back when he was on eBay, I think in 2009. He was so caring and funny and wanted to make sure I got exactly what I wanted. He knew I was nervous. That uke will always be special.

Fast forward to HMS, this year...got a fab KoAloha. Mike and Andrew were both great. I had mentioned to MGM that I had gotten my first uke from him and he remembered me years later because I had a unique name (Antoinina) and that I lived in Florida.

My sincere condolences to all his family and friends. The ukulele world has lost a beautiful soul. Truly a legend.
Be free Mike and play your music with the angels. Godspeed.

Top Bottom