song list for jams?

jamarsmash

Reaction score
Hello every one

new ukulele player here.

I was wondering if any one could give me a list of common songs played at a ukulele jam. I mainly play the banjo so all my songs are fiddle tunes and old time tunes.

A list of 10 or so traditional and modern songs that fit in or are ukulele jam standards would be nice.

thank you for your advice in advance

Jamar

Well, what kind of songs are you looking for exactly? Are you planning to learn any rad picking songs, or are looking for some strumming songs with maybe an intro picking, Are you a singer?....what suits your style?

I don't know any traditional music, so I stick to local stuff
Brown Eyed Girl
You Don't Write
White Birds
I'm Yours (always a winner)
Surf (best beginner strumming song by far)

Or maybe billboard music:
I'm Yours (always a winner)
Breakdown
Bubble Toes
Walking on Water

Full on Picking Songs:
Mr.Sandman (I posted notes for this song in song help. Just use the search engine)
Warrior
Wipe Out
Bodysurfing (if you're feeling ambitious ;))
Over the Edge
Honolulu City Lights

It goes on and on.

I was wondering if any one could give me a list of common songs played at a ukulele jam.

The real question is, do ukulele jams actually have "common songs" in the first place?

Being in a uke backwater, I haven't been to enough jams to know, but I'd expect that the songs played would tend to vary based on who's doing the jamming and where the jamming is being jammed. Some groups might be into traditional Hawaiian mele, others into mid-century "pop" Hawaiian (Hukilau, Little Grass Shack, etc.). Or 1920's Tin Pan Alley stuff (Five-Foot-Two, Hello My Baby). Or current Top 40. Or classic rock. Or Jimmy Buffet.

The universe of likely uke jam tunes is probably really big. Not that that's a bad thing! :cool:

When in doubt, learn some Beatles tunes.

JJ

ya i agree. anything beatles or bob marley should do ya fine

or just popular older rock songs

I don't believe there is a list of songs that would be considered a standard list. As JJ said, it all penz on who you jam with. But you can make your own list. Start with songs you're familiar with, songs people know and songs you think everyone would like to play along with. For example, when we get together, it's mostly Hawaiian jams (traditional as well as contemporary);
  • Meha Meha/White Sandy Beach
  • Koke'e
  • Brown Eyed Girl
  • Castle By The Sea
  • Lei Nani
  • Baby Kalai
    We'll throw in some 60's/70's stuff as well as oldies

Going along with the local Hawaiian music, I gotta say that anything by Three Plus, Ekolu, or Ka'au Crater Boys would be good.

Also, there's Jack Johnson songs. MisoHappy already posted Breakdown and Bubble Toes (which are both great). In addition to that, I would add Better Together and Banana Pancakes.

"Meha Meha/White Sandy beach"

I've never heard of Meha meha. Can anyone tell me any info on this? Maybe even lyrics and chords?:D

Never mind I answered my own question. Who knew searching this new thing called the "internet" would actually get me answers to my questions by using a "Search Engine".:rolleyes:

It's a local thing, here's the video to that medley . . . FYI, the version on TSH is in the key of A, we play it in the key of F.

Last edited:
Top Bottom