Ukulele Sweet Spot

NewKid

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of ukulele collection downsizing going on recently and lots of amazing deals in the marketplace.

I've downsized to two tenors by selling and giving away my other ukes.

It feels quite liberating to have simplified my ukulele choices and my other instruments have found really nice new homes.

Any one else feel like this after a couple of years of UAS or is this just another phase of the syndrome? I'm hoping I've truly found my Ukulele Sweet Spot.

Last edited:
I believe they call it remission Don. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Your (friendly) doctor,

eugene

I went through that with guitars, synthesizers, vinyl records, DVDs, even books...I gave away more than 30 boxes of books and a dozen boxes of DVDs to my local library.

Somehow my "sweet spot" for ukes seems about a dozen...

Yes, I agree with the concept of the "ukulele sweet spot." My UAS mostly had to do with finding the *right* uke to play that would least aggravate my fretting hand wrist/forearm pain issues. My UAS journey revealed that I needed a uke with a narrow nut width and thin neck profile. That said, I feel very much at home with my latest (and dare I say, last) acquisition -- my Martin T1K tenor -- I love this uke. Furthermore, because the uke is so comfortable for me to play, I can play for longer periods of time and more frequently -- and that makes me so very happy. However, I also have another uke as a travel/back-up uke.

I believe what you are going through is called a Minimalist Phase and that you will fall off (or is it back on???) the wagon within 12 to 18 months. But, enjoy the satisfying simplicity while you can!!!

I believe they call it remission Don. Take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Your (friendly) doctor,

eugene

You are one of more fortunate ones I presume.....not all will have the same enlightment as you... as Mitch said....One can only hope.....

I believe what you are going through is called a Minimalist Phase and that you will fall off (or is it back on???) the wagon within 12 to 18 months. But, enjoy the satisfying simplicity while you can!!!

Minimalist phase indeed. You and Dr. Eugene are absolutely right Jenny.

My UAS has probably just evolved to a narrower size of ukulele. There's still a lot of fine tenor builders out there!

Last edited:
I've gone thru a downsizing, and still have too many. I'm not yet at my sweet spot. I need to sell a few more.

To me, a sweet spot would be at about 8: --3 baritones (the Martin, Favilla and Kamaka) and 5 sopranos. So far, the keeper sopranos must include the Martin 48 style "0", the Kamaka pineapple, The modern Martin two. I'm stuck on which of my others to keep. Perhaps the Redhead and painted Favilla, and sell the Martin 1 and the TV Pal and the OXK.

But, I certainly have more thinning to do.

Enjoying the heck out of what I have, however.

EDITED TO SAY: Oh who am I kidding? I won't be selling that Martin 1 or the OXK...

Last edited:
.....Bill said....."I need to have some variety and also know that playing a different instrument is a very good learning and mind expanding exercise. I think it is very beneficial to keep a D tuned soprano, C tuned concert/tenor and a G tune baritone on hand, and to learn the fretboards on them all. Obviously you will always have your favourite, but the others will help you learn an amazing amount of stuff about your favourite. You do have the rest of your life to learn, and I hope most of the people who read this will have at least 20 years to look ahead. It can be a boring prospect to think about only ever learning one thing when there is so much interesting stuff around and 20 years to explore it all."

I've only got one ukulele - a vintage barry tone. Is that "boring?" Heck no, not to me anyway. There are sooo many things you can learn that you never have to be bored - if you don't want to be. There's different techniques ie "simple" strumming....fingerpicking, flat picking, hybrid picking....slide...etc....different genres of music ie. blues, rock, jazz etc etc.

I think the only way to get bored is to allow yourself to get bored.

I was responding to this post by Bill.

Last edited:
who said we're bored? I dont think I've purchased another uke for that reason...I guess I have another reason to justify another purchase

There seems to be a lot of ukulele collection downsizing going on recently and lots of amazing deals in the marketplace.

I'm so thrilled with my new Luis Feu de Mesquita tenor ukaferri that I've unleashed (sold or given away) everything else except my Mike Pereira Custom tenor. I've come to the conclusion that my learning and enjoyment of the instrument is going to be much more efficient and satisfying with one size and one tuning - ala the Jake Shimabukuro model. So I'm concentrating on my LFdM tenor in reentrant C tuning for the foreseeable future.

It feels quite liberating to have simplified my ukulele choices and my other instruments have found really nice new homes.

Any one else feel like this after a couple of years of UAS or is this just another phase of the syndrome? I'm hoping I've truly found my Ukulele Sweet Spot.

Thank you for telling me. I can bump someone else up on my list now. Too bad, your turn was coming up soon!

Ha Ha Just what I was thinking......Can I have Don's spot then.....>>>>>>> :)

Chuck,

Don't you have a waiting list to get on the waiting list in case someone cancels? Stan can I go before you since you have more MBUs than me? hahaha

Top Bottom