Lanikai Lu-21 soprano review

iamesperambient

Reaction score
A bit late on this one too.
Anyway. Heres the story i have been playing uke for ten years.
I have gone though my ukes in concert and sorpano sizes. My favorite was a martin soprano I had which sold and regret to this day. I got back into guitar after selling my soprano martin and played guitar in my music for 4 years. This summer after being frustrated with guitar and thinking (i just know so many chords on uke and none on guitar except maybe 20 chords) I never like how guitar felt. I decided to sell my guitar and get some ukes. I got a cheap diamond head just to get back into playing for about 2 weeks than picked up the les paul and lanikai and now my konablaster baritone. But here i will be reviewing the lanikai.

Anyway first looks:
i love the white binding around the body it just looks so nice.
The nato wood grain is actually very pleasing to look at.
It also is as light as a feather i was shocked at how light the uke was
which makes playing it feel very relaxed. The only thing i dont like is that the bridge is the kind where you loop the strings through like a classical guitar (something i have never strung) im used to the kind where you tie a not and slide it in to the bridge (aka the les paul uke). Is it me or does lanikai make their body size just a little bigger on their sopranos than other soprano uke makers?

Sound/tone/action etc:
The action over all is pretty good not to high at all.
There is a little bit of buzzing when you play a barred
E major chord but not to noticeable. It holds its tune actually pretty well and that im sure is mostly due to the fact that it comes with high quality aquila strings which in my opinion are the best strings.
It has a nice mellow yet bright at the same time tone but a little less bright and plinky as other sopranos. Over all I'm very happy to have it part of my growing uke collection it plays very well and is a cut above any affordable ukes I have played. Recommend it for beginners or experienced players who work a low paying job and can't afford a martin (it will totally hold you over while your saving for a high end uke).

I'm looking to get the same uke but the tenor version next.

Top Bottom