Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic tenor or acoustic baritone?

Default Acoustic tenor or acoustic baritone?

Ok so its been about a month since i got my konablaster electric baritone uke. I do not have a tenor uke at all, just 2 sopranos one concert electric acoustic and my steel string electric baritone uke. I can not decide which acoustic to get tenor sized or an acoustic baritone hmmm? i need some help here.

Btw looking at lanikai and kala only (nothing else fits my price range at the moment and im happy with both bands as well).
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

You should go to a music store and try out both sizes and get the one that feels most comfortable to you. The good thing is that lanikai and kala ukes are really common at almost all music stores.
    Another thing to think about is the tuning because if you want a reentrant GCEA tuning, baritone ukuleles only have two brands of strings which cater to that tuning (as far as I know).
    OWNED IN THE PAST:
    Taisamlu Baritone guitarlele
    Taisamlu Tenor Guitarlele
    Luna high tide 8 string ukulele
    Kala laminate mahogany pickup ukulele
    Stagg solid top mahogany soprano ukulele

OWN NOW:
    Lanikai Monkey Pod Tenor
    Bruce Wei CUSTOM koa ukulele

If you like the baritone scale (that is, you're comfortable with a baritone fretboard), you could get an acoustic baritone and tune it with baritone-sized GCEA strings, which would basically give you the sound of a tenor but with slightly more resonance (depending, of course, on the strings and the ukulele). You could always restring it DGBE if you find that you prefer the deeper voice of a baritone. If I were choosing from among baritones in what appears to be your price range, I'd probably get a Kala solid mahogany baritone.

Yes, to the advice given below.

you could also tune the tenor into DGBE with Aquila set made specifically for the tenor for DGBE. but for me I like the baritone more then tenor.

Probably best to try them out first, as already said. But tenor is my favourite size and I own both Lanikai and Kala so I can endorse both.
    Kala KA SMHB Baritone, Ohana CK-20s Concert, Cloud Music TT12s Soprano, Yamaha Guitalele
    Taylor GS Mini guitar

Quote Originally Posted by tangimango View Post
    you could also tune the tenor into DGBE with Aquila set made specifically for the tenor for DGBE. but for me I like the baritone more then tenor.
    A dGBE tenor is wonderful. Southcoast Heavy Gauge strings work well for this tuning, as do the Aquilas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bao View Post
    You should go to a music store and try out both sizes and get the one that feels most comfortable to you. The good thing is that lanikai and kala ukes are really common at almost all music stores.
    Another thing to think about is the tuning because if you want a reentrant GCEA tuning, baritone ukuleles only have two brands of strings which cater to that tuning (as far as I know).

I like my baritones I'm standard dgbe I have an electric one
    I just want an acoustic one. I don't have a tenor I just figured
    I should add that size into my collection but my baritone konablaster I'm dgbe is my main instrument at the moment for the music I make but I enjoy playing other sizes for fun eventually I want all sizes just trying to decide which I should get now
    Current Ukes:

I say Lanikai Spruce Baritone or CK-B, or Kala Mahogany. The Lanikai SB was one of my first ukes, I still have it and still play it regularly, this is me just messing around on it, aquila strings with an old beatup low G string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4okKvmVmw

There's not much variety with baritones at the low end, I've owned the majority of the budget baritones models from Lanikai, Kala and OS, if you go with a tenor there are a ton more choices.
    Last edited by jcarlos; 11-11-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlos View Post
    I say Lanikai Spruce Baritone or CK-B, or Kala Mahogany. The Lanikai SB was one of my first ukes, I still have it and still play it regularly, this is me just messing around on it, aquila strings with an old beatup low G string.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz4okKvmVmw

There's not much variety with baritones at the low end, I've owned the majority of the budget baritones models from Lanikai, Kala and OS, if you go with a tenor there are a ton more choices.
    ok one thing I forgot to mention my price max is 150 I'm open to other brands and I'm think I'll get an acoustic baritone first since I love my electric so much and I prob won't be if I'm curious I could re string and retune like a tenor but I'll prob just get an actual tenor later. if anyone has suggestions on a decent baritone acoustic id prefer 100 or less bit max 150.
    Current Ukes:

Thread Information