Cold bending

Vegas

Reaction score
If there was a thread on this then sorry, i couldnt find one on the forums, much less from a google search.

So far I've only read about laminate wood being cold bent for the sides. What about a solid piece of Indian Rosewood, or black walnut? Could those be safely cold bent into a form at a thickness of .125" - .110"?

I once successfully bent a set of Brazilian sides into a Grand Concert shape while working at the big guitar factory... after bending I went to turn the bender temp down to cook and realized that I hadn't turned it on to begin with... sides were at .090

Maybe at .080" but otherwise no. Why are you interested in cold bending? It's a pity there is so much mystery and fear around hot bending. It can be done efficiently and rather cheaply on a hot pipe with a little practice.

An $8 ebay gas torch and a chunk of off cut steel fence post and you're bending. Getting your side down to a suitable thickness requires more skill/expense.

There are a bunch of other tasks in uke building much harder than side bending.

Even better than a gas torch is an inexpensive heat gun in the end of the pipe.
The heat is not quite so 'spot hot' and spreads out nicely.

a propane torch and a piece of pipe works great. It is scarier than it sounds.

Even better than a gas torch is an inexpensive heat gun in the end of the pipe.
The heat is not quite so 'spot hot' and spreads out nicely.

Yeah...something like this. I made this set up just to try hot pipe bending. Worked so well I never refined the design

Attachments

• IMG-20121201-00038.jpg
    IMG-20121201-00038.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 44
Top Bottom