Oasis Bright Low G Strings on my Oscar Schmidt OU7T Tenor

drmosser

Reaction score
I wish I had some way to record how great these new Oasis Bright Low G strings sound on my Oscar Schmidt OU7T Spalted MangoTenor. With the stock Aquilas that came on this beautiful uke, I had wondered if my poor Spalted Mango was going to be just a pretty face. I had gotten an OU7T with one of the most striking wood grain patterns I have seen on this model, but was disappointed with the sound as soon as I got it. With those stock strings it sounded muffled with very low volume. I sang into the sound hole and it sounded like the uke body had good resonance, but something was holding it back when played. I desparately wanted this uke to sound as good as it looks. I certainly had nothing to lose by trying new strings. I also wanted to see how a Low G Tenor would sound.

Strung with these new Oasis strings my OU7T is now a keeper again. The sound just melts me (must be a binaural beat effect going on with that low G string). I've tried various brands of strings on my concert and soprano ukes, but rarely noticed such a difference in tonal quality from a string change. The most dramatic change I had seen before was replacing the stock strings on my Makala Dolphin with Aquilas (made a $40 uke sound like a $100 uke). However, the stock Aquilas don't like the OU7T so much, at least not to my ear.

I know that uke tone is very subjective and a personal preference, but if you have a dull sounding OU7T, then you may want to give the Oasis bright Low Gs a try.
Here are some gratuitous photos of my OU7T (photos were taken when it had the stock Aquilas):

photo_a.jpg photo_b.jpg

You just never know. I had the same effect when I put Aquila's ON my OU5. I am going to try some Oasis lights on my new/vintage Kamaka soprano. The people who have Oscars that they think sound dead just haven't found the right strings yet.

Top Bottom