Philip.K’s BugsGear plastic uke challenge 2013 Invitation

if the ukulele has a reputation of being reliable out of the box without requiring screening or setup it can easily demand more than 40USD. Quality control is the biggest thing lacking in cheap ukuleles. Solve that and people can confidently buy these over the internet with no complaints.

Yeah, Most of under $100 ukulele's are from China and their quality and sound has real big variation by each every pieces.
Our target is making all ukulele has same quality standard and same good sound.

Thanks.

I think this could make sense as a starter uke. The asymmetrical hole adds a great deal of interest and the whole thing doesn't look like a toy for a small child.

One concern I have is the name "BugsGear". . . to my American ears, when you call a product buggy, it means that there are problems or defects. Or else that there is an association somehow with Bugs Bunny, the cartoon character. I'd find another name. Perhaps something sleek and modern to go with the upscale modern design.

I think the uke could be great seller if it can come in around $35; wood Chinese ukes have all been inching up and over the $40 price point. I think at this stage in the market, you need to pull in more new uke players and the price point can be a significant factor in doing this.

I'd like to jump on board the project, but it's getting near Christmas time, and I've got a ton of expenses forthcoming. I'll see whether I can do this; it sounds exciting: good luck!

Yeah many people saying "BugsGear" looks cheap but, I have no choice but keep going with this name as I made this brand name while I was in Japan 2004.
It's meaning is that all bugs sound reaches so faraway and very loud because they have perfect resonance body and I want to make my instruments like that.

Thanks for your support.

We will put rib in the neck for reinforcement but, will make body and neck chamber separate because we need body resonance only.
We'll use geared head machine which means we must use 8 screws so, head would be strong enough.
We will have final sample by today made of PC and ABS and we'll decide which material will be the best.
Certainly, PC material is more strong but on the other hand, it's sound will be harder that's why I am more interested in ABS material.
Neck is another good issue for the deformation by tension also, fret may have issue for the detrition maybe PC could be used partially.

Very good that you are trying to isolate the body and neck chambers.

On the headstock I actually meant rib reinforcement at the bend where the neck and headstock meet. On other plastic ukuleles this is a weak point where the headstock can be broken off and worse...it may flex enough to affect the sound and sustain.

Very good that you are trying to isolate the body and neck chambers.

On the headstock I actually meant rib reinforcement at the bend where the neck and headstock meet. On other plastic ukuleles this is a weak point where the headstock can be broken off and worse...it may flex enough to affect the sound and sustain.

Yeah! neck or head area must not flexible stay solid otherwise, it kills string vibration and brings not enough sustain.

Top Bottom