Philip.K’s BugsGear plastic uke challenge 2013 Invitation

PhilipKwak

Reaction score
Philip.K’s plastic uke challenge 2013 Invitation
Plastic ukulele project funding and pre-order starts.
UUers!
My name is Philip.K the owner of BugsGear/ EleUke brand.
“EleUke” is the most popular representing electric ukulele brand in the world and we finished successful “EleUke contest” on 2010(total prize $15,000).
Below link is EleUke contest entry videos on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...1.9.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.
And also making acoustic ukuleles brand name “BugsGear”
We are now inviting our new plastic ukulele project investor or pre-order customers as below.

1. Total tooling cost funding amount
US$ 20,000 / $300 from each investor. We close funding when amount over $20,000 through Paypal and we give invester funding amount $300 receipt.
We return each investor $312 through paypal end of July 2014 and give 1pc of plastic
Ukulele MSRP $60 with domestic shipping cost collect as a reward.
Ukulele delivery during Jan 2014.

2. Pre-order for non Investors
Can place order at $60 and we ship plastic ukuleles when we finish first production with 25% discount coupon for any instruments in the future purchase at
www.eleuke.com we makes acoustic guitar, ukulele & EleUkes and Ukulele delivery during Jan 2014 at domestic shipment collect.

3. Why we make plastic ukuleles?
Reason 1. There were many quality and copy products problems with Chinese instrument
Factories so, we decided to clear this kind of problems by making plastic version ukuleles.
Making injection molding for all ukulele parts except head machine would be a very attractive way to make our own design ukuleles.
Reason2. We want to make our company’s position good sounding plastic ukulele maker In the world.
Reason3. We can secure production Q’ty by getting funding and pre-order.
4. Our Technology :
Sound reference 1.
I design acoustic instrument’s sound and we are now holding BugsGear acoustic guitar sound review promotion from 1st of Nov – 30th of Nov 2013 at Korean search engine website www.naver.com acoustic guitar café named “Tong&Tong” and you can read how our guitars
Sound review by translating in English. It’s just started so, you need to wait for several days to read new threads.
BugsGear acoustic guitar review in Korea
Sound reference 2.
Below is my plastic ukulele prototype sound sample
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDuHkcc9wzk
We already improved sound better than this video.

Sound reference 3.
At the same time, we give away 3pcs of wooden ukulele model name FNS to reviewers who want to review my design ukulele’s sound for free and you can apply by replying on this thread.
Philip.K decide who will be suitable reviewer by considering applicant’s review history.

Reviwers ID will be listed below and requested to write down their review on this thread.
Our soprano FNS model is made of all linden plywood but, sounding better than or equivalent to all solid soprano ukuleles.
I think this will be enough reference that I can make good sounding plastic ukuleles.

5. Ukulele’s color
We are going to make our plastic version ukulele’s design and limited 4 colors you can check it's color
by visiting http://www.eleuke.com/#!bugsgear-ukuleles/c5ro

Above colored ukuleles model name is BugsGear NS made of linden wood. Which has 18fret offset sound hole and I designed it 2011 but, Chinese factory that I used to work with start to selling them to their own customers without my permission.
They will simply take away my design if I don’t do anything.

6. Plastic ukulele’s picture
You can check plastic ukulele prototype by visiting http://www.eleuke.com/#!bugsgear-ukuleles/c5ro

Any interested potential investor or customer please visit http://www.eleuke.com/#!bugsgear-ukuleles/c5ro

2013.Nov 2nd
FNS model reviewer : Uncle Rod Higuchi, Tim Morrison(maybe not UU member but, we were talking about review so long time ago) 1 more applicant left
pls raise your hand only who has good review experience.

2013.Nov 3rd
Here's one BugsGear acoustic guitar review from Korea http://cafe.naver.com/tongandtong/240597

2013. Nov 9th
I got FNS colored ukulele's review from Tim Morrison as below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UwEbkH-SxY&feature=youtu.be

"An excellent, competitively priced soprano ukulele. Perfect as a first soprano, or first ever uke.
Review sample provided by Philip K of eleuke/bugsgear.
For further info on this model, visit http://www.eleuke.com "

2013.Nov11th
Here's another BugsGear FNS model's sound clip video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1b8oS_0YJs&list=UUElnq43pm7r8NOy1wNDnXTA

2013. Nov 15th
I uploaded PC and ABS material ukulele sample's sound comparison clip as below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI5_ss__rxc&feature=youtu.be

2013.Nov.19
My thread has moved to Shameless self promotion by UkuleleUnderground management.
Before write this thread, I sent eMail to Ryan if I can post this thread but, never received any reply so, I thought
it's possible and I was surprised suddenly this thread has moved.
I really feel insulted.

2013.Dec.30
Molding schedule slightly delayed.
I have checked moldings as attached. Molding version sample's date very close early Jan 2014.
Molding1_131230.jpgMolding2_131230.jpgMolding3_131230.jpgMolding4_131230.jpgMolding5_131230.jpg

Last edited:
Is this in the correct place as a commercial advert?
I cannot see any Uke challenge or invite other than to give them some money.
h

I love this, shame it excludes all us lefties out there. Either offer a left model or make it symmetrical so the lefties can feel the love too...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears as though they require a total of $20k

If they haven't made 20k from sales of existing Ukes...well.

I love this, shame it excludes all us lefties out there. Either offer a left model or make it symmetrical so the lefties can feel the love too...

Yeah my ukulele will goes symmetrical so, it doesn't matter left or right.

Oh sorry My ukulele has offset sound hole so, it looks not symmetrical but, I mean saddle is just straight so, you can play
symmetrical.

Last edited:
Is this in the correct place as a commercial advert?
I cannot see any Uke challenge or invite other than to give them some money.
h

Sorry if you feel like commercial ad. But, I hope you interested to see good sounding plastic ukulele's born.

If it's not too late, I'd love to review one of your wooden ukes here in Seattle.

I play at about 6 venues each month (various kanikapilas, and song circles) so I can give it a real workout and also let other players give me their impressions :)

I have a Peanut and a soprano and a concert Eleukes:)

Just visited the website and the acoustic Peanuts look great!

keep uke'in',

Last edited:
If it's not too late, I'd love to review one of your wooden ukes here in Seattle.

I play at about 6 venues each month (various kanikapilas, and song circles) so I can give it a real workout and also let other players give me their impressions :)

I have a Peanut and a soprano and a concert Eleukes:)

Just visited the website and the acoustic Peanuts look great!

keep uke'in',

I will send one of each FNS and Acoustic peanut please send me your address and phone No. to my eMail address philip at eleuke dot com

Thanks
Philip

Last edited:
Cool project! I will certainly buy it when it's available! I just don't like the geared tuners.

Maybe if you (like the Outdoor uke) use a more friendly crowdfunding site, like Kickstarter, you will get more investors.

Thanks I will take a look into Kickstarter. Unfortunately, Kick starter only allows US,UK,Canada,NZ, Australia based creators not for
other countries.
I am now staying in China.

Last edited:
Philip

About reviewing the wooden ply uke, I don't think I can help. I can think of one way I can help in the future if you like. When you get some of plastic ukuleles in your hands send me one for review. I am a former Eleuke owner and fan(the acoustic/electric model). I have owned/reviewed the polycarbonate Outdoor Ukulele(USA) and the Karadoo carbonfiber/fiberglass composite ukulele(Thailand). PM me if interested

Philip

About reviewing the wooden ply uke, I don't think I can help. I can think of one way I can help in the future if you like. When you get some of plastic ukuleles in your hands send me one for review. I am a former Eleuke owner and fan(the acoustic/electric model). I have owned/reviewed the polycarbonate Outdoor Ukulele(USA) and the Karadoo carbonfiber/fiberglass composite ukulele(Thailand). PM me if interested

Thanks for your posting I will remember your posting and send one for your review.

These 3 plastic ukuleles are my prototype samples that I did experiment.
Left = ABS material, Middle = PC(Polycarbonates), Right= ABS and I am going to make final experiment by modifying two
samples and decide material.
From the beginning, I was going to make ukulele with PC(polycarbonates) but, it looks sound too hard on the other hand,
ABS ukulele's sound some what soft and warm.
Then, why not ABS?
I will update my final decision about material this week.Prototype_Samples.jpg

A couple of questions about the plastic;

is the neck hollow on this? if so, does it have extra reenforcement to limit resonation in the neck?
did you add more reenforcement to the headstock bend? This part seems to be a weak point. The latest plastic japanese ukulele has added renforcement here as well.

Btw I suggest mixing polycarb and ABS. Anyplace you might have wear or need support use polycarb (bridge and fretboard definitely). Otherwise ABS is probably an option.

Last edited:
I think this could make sense as a starter uke. The asymmetrical hole adds a great deal of interest and the whole thing doesn't look like a toy for a small child.

One concern I have is the name "BugsGear". . . to my American ears, when you call a product buggy, it means that there are problems or defects. Or else that there is an association somehow with Bugs Bunny, the cartoon character. I'd find another name. Perhaps something sleek and modern to go with the upscale modern design.

I think the uke could be great seller if it can come in around $35; wood Chinese ukes have all been inching up and over the $40 price point. I think at this stage in the market, you need to pull in more new uke players and the price point can be a significant factor in doing this.

I'd like to jump on board the project, but it's getting near Christmas time, and I've got a ton of expenses forthcoming. I'll see whether I can do this; it sounds exciting: good luck!

if the ukulele has a reputation of being reliable out of the box without requiring screening or setup it can easily demand more than 40USD. Quality control is the biggest thing lacking in cheap ukuleles. Solve that and people can confidently buy these over the internet with no complaints.

A couple of questions about the plastic;

is the neck hollow on this? if so, does it have extra reenforcement to limit resonation in the neck?
did you add more reenforcement to the headstock bend? This part seems to be a weak point. The latest plastic japanese ukulele has added renforcement here as well.

Btw I suggest mixing polycarb and ABS. Anyplace you might have wear or need support use polycarb (bridge and fretboard definitely). Otherwise ABS is probably an option.

We will put rib in the neck for reinforcement but, will make body and neck chamber separate because we need body resonance only.
We'll use geared head machine which means we must use 8 screws so, head would be strong enough.
We will have final sample by today made of PC and ABS and we'll decide which material will be the best.
Certainly, PC material is more strong but on the other hand, it's sound will be harder that's why I am more interested in ABS material.
Neck is another good issue for the deformation by tension also, fret may have issue for the detrition maybe PC could be used partially.

Last edited:
Top Bottom