Fidra Ukuleles from Scotland - Any players in here ?

Thanks, I have been in touch. Currently working out exactly what I want. Pricing is very reasonable. Simon is now taking orders for build slots in May.

Thanks for putting me on to his products!

So, have you ordered and received your very own Fidra Ukulele ?

Wow. This maker is new to me, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.

It's not as if I am likely to ever be able to own a custom, luthier-built work of art such as these, but I do enjoy window shopping!

I look at the work of builders from all over and daydream and drool. So far, based solely on aesthetics, I am really enamored of Black Bear instruments, but these Fidra ukes...just so beautiful and classy.

I have an abiding affection for Celtic/Gaelic/Scottish and Irish things in general. The history, the music, the myths, and so on.

If money were no object, I would likely contact a couple of luthiers to have "dream builds" done with my input as far as materials, specs, etc. In fact, I've had this type of thing done before, both with acoustic guitars and electric basses. It's not that I feel the ukulele isn't deserving of the same care and artistry--I have just reached a point in my life where old sayings like "you can't take it with you" have a lot of resonance with me.

Short of winning the lottery, I will remain content to be an "admirer-from-a-distance" of these little wonders and works of art, vicariously finding excitement through the purchases, reviews, work-in-progress reports on a new builds, etc., of others and just enjoy my humble laminate ukes.

I guess at base I am willing to sacrifice some of the tonal qualities, lightness of build, etc. that comes from handcrafted instruments with finely honed woods, etc. Some of this is a result of my own personal economic status, but I also feel that, in my situation, laminate instruments provide a better, more utilitarian alternative, simply because, while typically clunkier and more imperfect, they tend (in my experience) to be less prone to cracking, basic fragility, and generally less fussy and in need of less care and concern. Plus, it's far easier to replace an "off the rack" uke as opposed to a high-end, one-of-a-kind instrument, or even mass-produced models made of solid woods.

Last edited:
Oh boy, he just added a price tag and new pictures of that Uke. That is so tempting :drool:

Congrats Ukador, that's a fine lookin' uke. I bet it plays Celtic music just fine.

Seems most your posts are either that other luthiers' ukes are overpriced or that Fidras are better or as good as other customs.

Sorry, but I think you're doing that luthier a disservice. Perhaps he does great work.

Maybe I'm just grumpy.

Last edited:
Play nice, kiddies.

Edited and removed by myself. Buddhu, you have a pm.

Last edited:
Edited and removed by myself. Buddhu, you have a pm.

Thanks but for future reference, mods can see deleted/edited posts. No need for the pm. ;)

And, BTW, it's "buddhuu", like it clearly says on the page in front of you.

I bought the last two Fidra ukuleles from Simon, as he is taking a break from making instruments as he got a "real" job. It seems it is hard to sustain a living making great ukuleles at knockout prices.

I hope he gets back to making, even part time, as his instruments are superb for the price. Here's a tenor, with a Bach sarabande.

Top Bottom