Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Strings For Kanile'a Concert?

Default Best Strings For Kanile'a Concert?

Hello,

I was wondering what are the best strings for my Kanile'a concert!
    I actually have Living Water strings (High G)

I heard about Oasis strings (what is the best warm or bright set? For kanilea)

Thanks a lot !

Moka,

I use Savarez on most of my ukes, but you can't go wrong with Worth Clears either. I used to own a Kanile'a soprano, and Worth Clears were outstanding on that ukulele.

-Steve
    Collings UT41-K Sunburst
    Pono MTSH(S)PC
    1950 Martin Style 1 soprano
    Martin OXK soprano

I have Living Water (high G) on mine and love the way it sounds. I tried LowG but the nut slot for the fourth string was not cut for a larger string and kept pulling sharp when I would fret the fourth string.

It sounds so good now I doubt I'll try any other brands on this concert.
    cheers ... dennis

Antoniotsai Rose Tenor (Acacia Koa)
    Blackbird Clara (Concert - eKoa)
    Kanile'a Concert (Custom - Curly Tiger Mahogany)
    Kinnard Concert (Custom - Redwood/Cocobolo)
    Kinnard Tenor (Custom - Cedar/Walnut)
    Mako Tenor (Custom - Koa)
    Martin 1T IZ (Tenor - Mahogany)

Quote Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
    I have Living Water (high G) on mine and love the way it sounds. I tried LowG but the nut slot for the fourth string was not cut for a larger string and kept pulling sharp when I would fret the fourth string.

It sounds so good now I doubt I'll try any other brands on this concert.
    Ditto. It is low g for me, but Living Water strings sounded the best on my Kanilea.

I owned a Kanilea K1- C (concert) briefly and found that it sounded and played the best with D'Addario Nyltech strings; which are very similar in sound to the stock Aquila's, but with a much smoother feel. I actually prefer fluorocarbon strings over nylon, but when I tried a set of Worth Clear mediums, my Kanilea lost some of its sparkle, and also developed a buzz on the C string. I switched to Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings, but the tone didn't improve. I talked to Joe Souza over the phone--real nice guy--about my dilemma using fluorocarbon strings, and he told me that his ukuleles are purposely voiced to sound best with Aquila Nylgut strings. I experimented with that uke using a variety of different strings, and found that he was right; to my ears it did sound best with Aquila or Nyltech strings.

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Hello,

I was wondering what are the best strings for my Kanile'a concert!
    I actually have Living Water strings (High G)

I heard about Oasis strings (what is the best warm or bright set? For kanilea)

Thanks a lot !
    I have the Oasis warm LowG set on my Kanile'a concert....it sounds more clear/clean with the Oasis,if your Kanile'a sounds a little muted try the Oasis....I have them on my Kamaka HF3S also....

if you want a sqeakless string try a Fremont Soloist LowG...works well with the Oasis strings

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
    I actually prefer fluorocarbon strings over nylon, but when I tried a set of Worth Clear mediums, my Kanilea lost some of its sparkle, and also developed a buzz on the C string. I switched to Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings, but the tone didn't improve.
    I'm not at all an expert on brands, but what you're saying there holds very true for mine as well. I usually like florocarbon strings because I like their feel and precision, but they don't sound good on my soprano kanilea. So, Aquila nylon it is!

I've tried all those mentioned on my Kanile'a concert but found the Aquillas too muddy sounding and the Worths a bit muted. After months of trying I discovered Orca hards sound beautiful on it. They have a clear and well rounded sound with lots of low end and they are loud. Honestly, they sound great. Not to be confused with other black fluorocarbons- Hilos or Freemonts - which didn't sound half as good.

Long story short - try Orcas!!!
    forestukuleles.com
    theukeroom.com

The Aquila's were quite nice. After those I tried Savarez strings, but I don't like their feel and they sound sort of cramped. Currently I'm using Fremont Blackline mediums on my Kanile'a concert and I love them. They look and sound great.
    My daily players:
    • Kamaka HF-3 100th Anniversary Edition tenor
    • Kanile'a K-2 C deluxe concert
    • Covered Bridge redwood & walnut concert
    • Ono spruce & maple concert
    • Black Bear macadamia soprano
    • Martin Style 0 1963+ soprano
    • Kala ASAC-B baritone

I'm happy with Aquillas on my KPE-C. I have some Orca's maybe I'll try sometime.
    There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be... - John Lennon

Thread Information