Collings UC1 (first impression)

Reaction score
I just received my new Collings UC1 in the mail today! It is the middle uke in this photo.

After visiting the Collings factory with my dad in 2010, and watching these amazing ukuleles being made by hand, I fell in love. I ended up selling my entire electric guitar rig to buy my first uke, which was the UC2 (left), and haven't looked back since. I then bought the Kiwaya KTS-4 (right), and just last earlier this week, my wife bought me the Collings UC1.

You might think that, since the UC1 & UC2 are both solid mahogany, that they would be pretty similar in sound. certainly there are some similarities between these two ukes like fit, finish, intonation and play-ability, but to the discerning ear, the two ukes produce completely different sounds (both are fantastic).

After having the UC1 for about a day I have noticed that it is much more open. The uke feels like it is able to breath more (probably due to the satin finish) and sounds louder to my ear. Both ukes are strung with Aquilas. The UC2 sounds a bit more compressed and I would even go as far as to say sounds softer. Both ukes feel great in the hand and at this point, I am sold on all things Collings and all things mahogany! I'll post a more in depth review once I have had the uke for a while. Thanks!

DSC01167[1].jpg

Awesome stuff. I have a UC-1 (2010) and a more recent UC-2SB and I like the UC-1 wayyyy better. I've read some reviews and various opinions from people "in the know" who say that Collings' satin finished, lower appointed ukes sound better. I don't particularly buy into any of that, but thought I'd mention it as it does seem relevant to the thread; and relevant to my own experience. That said, the UC-2 is pretty much brand new and hasn't really been played, so I think it'll sound better down the line. Congrats on the new uke- you can't have too many Collings!

Edit: Lol, I wrote the post before I finished reading your whole post and I guess we agree.

I agree with both of you. My UT1 does sound more resonant and louder than my UT2SB. I thought it might be the satin finish or that the UT1 has a low G string while the 2SB is reetrant. I love the SB look and feel but the satin UT1 has the sound.

I agree with both of you. My UT1 does sound more resonant and louder than my UT2SB. I thought it might be the satin finish or that the UT1 has a low G string while the 2SB is reetrant. I love the SB look and feel but the satin UT1 has the sound.

Ha. Awesome. A UT-1 is probably the only uke I want that I don't have. If I can ever sell one of mine I'll likely put the money toward one. Even at $1,440, an INSANE price jump, I still feel like they're the best deal around.

Top Bottom