How to arrange music for multiple parts?

Freeda

Reaction score
I know I can buy some multi part tunes via James Hill or the Hal Leonard ensemble books, but I would like to learn how to do it myself so I can apply it to a wider variety of music. Anyone know how to do this?

I'm trying to work it out, and it seems that the three-part harmony comes from the other parts coming a third and a fifth over the progression, within the same scale.

So, for a C progression of 1, 4, 5, 6m, the first person plays

C, F, G, Am

The second person plays

E, A, B, Cm

The third person plays

G, C, D, Em

Any music theory folks want to take a stab at that and see how I'm doing?

I know I can buy some multi part tunes via James Hill or the Hal Leonard ensemble books, but I would like to learn how to do it myself so I can apply it to a wider variety of music. Anyone know how to do this?

Do you mean vocal parts or instrumental parts? There's a cool method for adding vocal harmonies that I learned from James Hill called "sing the string". The idea is that each part corresponds to a single string on the uke. To figure out each part, play the fingerings for the chords for the song, but only one string at a time. The vocal part will be the notes that that single string plays.

Here's a link to a better explanation: http://www.ukuleleyes.com/issues/vol8/no3/from-the-vault.htm

Last edited:
Thanks Doug! I will dig into that tomorrow! My goal is for instrumental ensemble. Not worried about vocal at this point.

I made this, I think it is heading down the right track? Feedback would be appreciated.

three part uke harmony.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not much at theoretical musical notation but I think I'm logical. What you have is a simple parallel harmony, voice-wise.

But in musical terms I think you have 3 players doing the same tune in different keys. Does that make sense?

I'm not much at theoretical musical notation but I think I'm logical. What you have is a simple parallel harmony, voice-wise.

But in musical terms I think you have 3 players doing the same tune in different keys. Does that make sense?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

It was said elsewhere that this works for single notes only, not chords. That alternate voicings of the same chords is the primary way to create diversity of sound.

And I just made hubby play a uke to test the theory. DEFINITELY doesn't work with chords.

Still interested if anyone has ideas. :). Mine didn't work out.

I'm still not sure what you're asking. You want 2 or 3 (or more?) ukes playing different chords that blend together? I think the only way that works is the alternate voicing idea or the extended chord idea. For example, if you want a C9 chord, the notes are c,e,g,Bb,d. You could have one uke play a C major chord to get the c,e,g notes and a second uke could play a G minor chord to get the g,Bb,d notes. Together they would cover all 5 notes of the C9 chord. You can play 11th and 13th chords and lots of other extended chords in this way also.

I'm still not sure what you're asking. You want 2 or 3 (or more?) ukes playing different chords that blend together? I think the only way that works is the alternate voicing idea or the extended chord idea. For example, if you want a C9 chord, the notes are c,e,g,Bb,d. You could have one uke play a C major chord to get the c,e,g notes and a second uke could play a G minor chord to get the g,Bb,d notes. Together they would cover all 5 notes of the C9 chord. You can play 11th and 13th chords and lots of other extended chords in this way also.

Then I have a LOT of learning to do.

Tons. Lol!

Bumping Freeda's good question so that Lori, Peewee or Janeray might chime in as they do multipart instrumentals w their group routinely.

Bumping Freeda's good question so that Lori, Peewee or Janeray might chime in as they do multipart instrumentals w their group routinely.

I have attempted to write ukulele arrangements in parts, and it takes some knowledge of music theory/ harmony. It is fairly easy to get a chord part, and a melody part, but it is the harmony part that is the difficult one. I figure someone who is great at doing vocal harmonies would be good at making instrumental harmony parts. So far, our most successful arrangements have come from our teacher, Steve Rose at McCabe's in Santa Monica. We have picked up other assorted arrangements from books and the web. A few of our members have written out parts for songs, but it is difficult to find a song that matches our playing level and is popular enough with all the players. The time investment in getting an ensemble piece up-to-speed is considerable, so each song has to have an appeal that sustains it through months and months of repetition. Someday I hope to be able to write a good ensemble arrangement in parts. It is easier to write an arrangement for solo playing, combining melody and chords.

–Lori

I think I had talked to peewee at one time on the topic. I can't remember the outcome though.

Thanks Lori! Seems like it is a challenging desire to satisfy.

Confession: I can arrange solos for myself, but am entirely at my instructor's mercy for arranging ensemble pieces. While I've worked with him on arrangements and maybe my ideas (usually stumbed upon accidentally) have been used once or twice, I just don't have the theory knowledge that is required to arrange for groups. But I'm working on it :)

The time investment in getting an ensemble piece up-to-speed is considerable, so each song has to have an appeal that sustains it through months and months of repetition.

Yes, this. And to me, it's key to have a really good, complex arrangement in order to stay focused and interested. While with my current knowledge I could probably arrange simple harmonies, it would get really boring really fast! There's just so much more to it, such as chord substitutions, rhythms, etc.

Top Bottom