Alternative to YouTube/other video sharing sites?

Hey, folks (UU Mods, sorry if I am posting this in the wrong area) ~

Does anyone out there use any of the other video sharing sites? Vimeo? DailyMotion? Metacafe? Other?

I am trying to find a video sharing site that would be similar to YouTube -- i.e., a place where as an amateur musician, I can upload videos as I've done on YouTube for the past four years.

I have heard that Vimeo is more for "pros," but don't really know too much about the other video sharing service sites.

If anyone has any firsthand knowledge/experience -- or if you've even heard/read any info that you'd like to pass along...I would be very grateful!

Thanks! :)

I use vimeo. If like to upload hi quality videos they appear to use better compression vs youtube resulting in better quality. There are a bunch of limits though for hd uploads and putting your video in a queue so that paid members get thier videos uploaded first. Search bar on vimeo is awful in my opinion. Search results are not as accurate as I would like. If you want a lot of views your best bet is youtube. With that said I do like the qualitu I get from vimeo compression and the download button allows other users to download your video in various resolutions so I do pay the $60 per year for Vimeo plus membership.

Also if you are serious or a video hobbyist vimeo is probably your best video site as there is a sense of community over there. I have answered dozens of questions about how I shot my videos over there and I've also asked a bunch of questions which in general get answered maybe 80% of the time. That would never happen on YouTube.

Last edited:
sorry i am not very versed on the different sites, but I will watch your vids wherever you put em!

Hi, ohmless ~ Thanks for saying that -- it means a lot to me! :)

I use vimeo. If like to upload hi quality videos they appear to use better compression vs youtube resulting in better quality. There are a bunch of limits though for hd uploads and putting your video in a queue so that paid members get thier videos uploaded first. Search bar on vimeo is awful in my opinion. Search results are not as accurate as I would like. If you want a lot of views your best bet is youtube. With that said I do like the qualitu I get from vimeo compression and the download button allows other users to download your video in various resolutions so I do pay the $60 per year for Vimeo plus membership.

Also if you are serious or a video hobbyist vimeo is probably your best video site as there is a sense of community over there. I have answered dozens of questions about how I shot my videos over there and I've also asked a bunch of questions which in general get answered maybe 80% of the time. That would never happen on YouTube.

Hi, Ipcmlr ~ Thanks so much for all of this advice -- I really appreciate it! I will check out Vimeo more per your recommendation. I would definitely classify myself as a (passionate!) hobbyist when it comes to making my vids. :) Sounds like the folks over on Vimeo are very supportive of efforts members put forth. That would be a very cool thing! Thanks so much, again, for your advice and input! ~ Chelle

I only know Vimeo. Their offer is extremely limited for non-paying members. I tried to upload one video at the quality I usually use for YouTube and was told - after nearly half an hour attempting to load it. "Your video is too big for free membership!" - So I halved the quality, but what I was shown to have left for the week was not enough to upload a second video. So, I will only use vimeo for occasional alternatives which don't fit into the Seasons, which is what I generally post onto my YouTube Channel.

I don't have experience with those, but I like Vimeo's policy. It looks quite friendly to musicians.

Thanks, sugengshi, for your thoughts on Vimeo's policy -- I have been giving a lot of thought to opening up an account with them.

I only know Vimeo. Their offer is extremely limited for non-paying members. I tried to upload one video at the quality I usually use for YouTube and was told - after nearly half an hour attempting to load it. "Your video is too big for free membership!" - So I halved the quality, but what I was shown to have left for the week was not enough to upload a second video. So, I will only use vimeo for occasional alternatives which don't fit into the Seasons, which is what I generally post onto my YouTube Channel.

Hi, Bernie! So glad that you saw my post and responded -- thanks for your thoughts on this -- I know you record a lot and so I am sure you have a wealth of knowledge about all of this stuff! Thank you for letting me know about the Vimeo restrictions, etc. That would be frustrating with the video uploading issues you mentioned, for sure! I wonder how different it would be for paying membership -- do you think you'll go that route?

Also, can I ask how you went about making the switch to Google+? Are you using your real name or were you able to retain your screen name (I can't recall if you did use your real name to begin with, please forgive me!). I don't want to use a social networking site (after all of the time I spend here, I don't have time for another one) -- is there a way that I can just keep only using YouTube and not have to bother with a Google+ social web page? I don't want to use my real name on anything on YouTube and/or otherwise. Any suggestions are much appreciated! :)

Also, can I ask how you went about making the switch to Google+? Are you using your real name or were you able to retain your screen name (I can't recall if you did use your real name to begin with, please forgive me!). I don't want to use a social networking site (after all of the time I spend here, I don't have time for another one) -- is there a way that I can just keep only using YouTube and not have to bother with a Google+ social web page? I don't want to use my real name on anything on YouTube and/or otherwise. Any suggestions are much appreciated! :)
you can set up the google plus thing to use your regular youtube user name. youtube will ask you every five minutes which name you want to use - your user name or your real name, you just have to keep clicking MY USER NAME YOU MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have my google plus page really as a sleeper page, everything is set to don't share, don't find me, don't contact me, leave me alone for heavens sake - the page exists but i don't suppose anyone goes there and if they do it must be very boring for them because nothing is really happening on it! the google plus page uses my youtube name and the only stuff on it are some video shares from when i uploaded to youtube.

at the moment i feel google plus on youtube is vexing and time wasting and frustrating - but so are the ads there. i see both the ads and the google plus thing as a necessary evil - youtube puts it all on there, and you have to take it or leave it.

i don't feel things are so bad yet to make me wanna leave it

Sorry, HPF, I hadn't seen this reply before today.

I wonder how different it would be for paying membership -- do you think you'll go that route?

There seem to be far fewer restrictions on paying members. I won't got down that route though, unless forced to by further changes in Youtube, etc.

Also, can I ask how you went about making the switch to Google+? Are you using your real name or were you able to retain your screen name (I can't recall if you did use your real name to begin with, please forgive me!).

I was using my Google Mail account and when YouTube introduced their new policies they simply switched over for me. I don't mind using my real name, because I've nothing to hide on YouTube and I never try to make anyone feel small through my comments. Indeed, having my real name is preferable as I can send bar owners links to my stuff to give them an idea of whether or not I'd go down well in their bar. :)

I was initially pissed off with the latest changes on Google, but they seem to have made a few adjustments and most of my initial qualms have been smoothed away.

http://motagator.com/

We have only had the free account there for a number of years which only allows for so much stuff. I don't even know how much it is to have an unrestricted account.

I am neutral about the site so check it out if you want.

Hi Chelle,

I'n not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but I came across a video sharing site this morning that seems to be pretty new, and looks like it has the spirit that Youtube did in the 'early days'.

I've not used it for posting videos, but have watched a few there, it is called VUBE.

http://vube.com/

and on their registration page:

http://vube.com/register?t=s

it says:

Why join VUBE?

• Create your own channel for publishing unique video content
  • Like and dislike videos with a single click
  • Subscribe to channels you don’t want to forget and be the first to view new content
  • Comment on videos to interact, collaborate, and provide feedback to other Vube users
  • Share content and connect with other social networks you’re logged into
  • Receive notifications and be among the first to know about new features
  • Millions of potential views from a relevant audience

and it lets you use either your Facebook or Google+ credentials or you can create an account from scratch, so maybe this one is worth considering.

I refuse to join the herd on Facebook, and I minimize my mandated Google+ exposure as much as possible, as you need to remember that if the 'service' is free, the 'service' is not the product, but YOU are the product being sold elsewhere, namely to advertisers and probably also to the NSA (as per the Snowden documents). Also, in the 'Terms Of Service' when you join Facebook, you are granting them exclusive and blanket perpetual usage rights and ownership of all the content you add too the site, so you have no control what they do with your pictures, videos and text.

Slightly-off topic, but when reddit first started, so did a picture sharing site called imgur, and imgur became the default site to post pictures as opposed to Flickr or Photobucket or Tinypic, which are all frowned upon now if used on reddit. Imgur is superior in many ways for what it does.

The reason I mention this is that if enough folks from the UU community were to migrate to another site that was not evil (away from youtube) it would help that site grow, and we all could participate in the growth in a mutually beneficial manner, and possibly even shape their growth path if enough of us were using the service and sent feature requests to the admins of the site.

Another idea:

I know that managing and hosting video sharing site would incur huge costs for bandwidth and storage, and is a legal minefield with copyright, but if UU had their own internal video sharing function, like a mini-youtube or mini-vimeo, that was integrated directly with the forums, it would keep all of the content 'in the family' so to speak.

Maybe we should set up a poll here in the forums to gauge interest and then send the results to the moderators?

-Booli

According to the details of your questions, It seems that http://vube.com can be a site of your interest. This website went live a year ago but It is receiving billions of hits as of now. It is also running contests on their site for musicians and artists. I hope you can take advantage of that.

Apart from Vube, you can check out a few other alternatives here, http://thetecnica.com/2014/02/youtube-alternatives

According to the details of your questions, It seems that http://vube.com can be a site of your interest. This website went live a year ago but It is receiving billions of hits as of now. It is also running contests on their site for musicians and artists. I hope you can take advantage of that.

Apart from Vube, you can check out a few other alternatives here, http://thetecnica.com/2014/02/youtube-alternatives

Just now seeing this thread with new updates -- thanks, kapiljindal, for the info! Much appreciated! :)

Hi Chelle,

I'n not sure if anyone is still checking this thread, but I came across a video sharing site this morning that seems to be pretty new, and looks like it has the spirit that Youtube did in the 'early days'.

I've not used it for posting videos, but have watched a few there, it is called VUBE.

http://vube.com/

and on their registration page:

http://vube.com/register?t=s

it says:

and it lets you use either your Facebook or Google+ credentials or you can create an account from scratch, so maybe this one is worth considering.

I refuse to join the herd on Facebook, and I minimize my mandated Google+ exposure as much as possible, as you need to remember that if the 'service' is free, the 'service' is not the product, but YOU are the product being sold elsewhere, namely to advertisers and probably also to the NSA (as per the Snowden documents). Also, in the 'Terms Of Service' when you join Facebook, you are granting them exclusive and blanket perpetual usage rights and ownership of all the content you add too the site, so you have no control what they do with your pictures, videos and text.

Slightly-off topic, but when reddit first started, so did a picture sharing site called imgur, and imgur became the default site to post pictures as opposed to Flickr or Photobucket or Tinypic, which are all frowned upon now if used on reddit. Imgur is superior in many ways for what it does.

The reason I mention this is that if enough folks from the UU community were to migrate to another site that was not evil (away from youtube) it would help that site grow, and we all could participate in the growth in a mutually beneficial manner, and possibly even shape their growth path if enough of us were using the service and sent feature requests to the admins of the site.

Another idea:

I know that managing and hosting video sharing site would incur huge costs for bandwidth and storage, and is a legal minefield with copyright, but if UU had their own internal video sharing function, like a mini-youtube or mini-vimeo, that was integrated directly with the forums, it would keep all of the content 'in the family' so to speak.

Maybe we should set up a poll here in the forums to gauge interest and then send the results to the moderators?

-Booli

Thanks a million, Booli, for this great wealth of info -- sounds like an awesome site -- I would love to check it out!

http://motagator.com/

We have only had the free account there for a number of years which only allows for so much stuff. I don't even know how much it is to have an unrestricted account.

I am neutral about the site so check it out if you want.

Thanks for the suggestion, Doug W -- I haven't heard of this one, yet -- I'll check it out, too -- many thanks for info! :)

Top Bottom