Reflections: Why the Ukulele?

Chordpoems

Reaction score
Why the Ukulele?

The guitar has a wider range, and 2 more strings for more complex and interesting chords. Bowed instruments like the violin and cello are capable of big, soaring sounds with near-infinite sustain. Exactly what the ukulele can't do. Wind instruments have a talent for tapping into the language centers of or brains by mimicking the human voice, while the uke does a mean impression of raindrops falling onto a tin roof. It seems like whatever corner you put it in, our humble little instrument has the disadvantage.

Wait...portability? Nope. Harmonica.

So, why the Ukulele? What draws you to the instrument? What does it do for you that other instruments cannot?

Maybe this is a tall order, asking you to describe the indescribable. So get esoteric, use weird metaphors, do what you gotta do.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Very cool thread. For me it was the lack of regognision the ukulele had. Also my entire family plays musical instruments we got a drummer, saxophone player, couple bass players, and many guitar player so I liked having an instrument that nobody in my family played. Last thing I really like about the ukulele is how small and nice the ukulele community is. You don't see groups of guitar players sitting in a circle all jamming together like you see with the ukulele

Years ago I remember going up and down stairs to stages carrying my bass guitar and huge amplifier. I thought, someday I'm gonna break my neck schlepping this stuff around, whilst the flute or bongo player are travellin' light.
The uke is incredibly portable. I can practice on a soprano on flights! There is now an amazingly large and diverse repertoire of solo material for the uke. And when you invest in a really good one, the unique tone and feel are as beautiful as any other fretted string instrument. It almost makes me want to sell my guitars and basses for more ukes.

Basically, it's a happy instrument. It sounds happy when you play it, and other people seem to be happy when they hear it. It's capable of serious, heart wrenching songs, or complete and utter light-hearted nonsense. It's pretty much what I look for in a friend, and a great way of channelling my love of music into something that comes close to having a friend in that sense. Plus, I don't have to save for very long to buy a new one, seeming they're cheap enough. Who doesn't like buying new stuff? :p

I'm a small person with small hands who lives in a small house (250 square feet!), so a small instrument just makes sense :)

That's actually all true, but there were a few other things that compelled me to choose uke over any other instrument: the fact that it was my first instrument when I was a little kid, and that my dad had played and he and I had lived in Hawaii for a time, so picking up the uke again just kind of felt like the right thing to do. And there may or may not have been a little George Harrison influence going on...

I can play guitar and ukulele. I cannot play bowed string, woodwind, or keyboard instruments, and my skill on brass instruments is severely limited.

I prefer the ukulele because I find it easier to be good on it than on the guitar.

It's all to do with interest and motivation.

The only reason I even thought of a ukulele was five months ago when I saw a Mahalo UT-30 Telecaster looking uke shortly after I bought a real Fender Telecaster. I thought it would be cute to have a similar looking uke for $60 US. In that same week I received a postcard from the Los Angeles Music Center announcing their summer play-along program that included the ukulele. I participated in guitar a few years ago. That prompted me to learn how to play ukulele. I've been playing guitar for over 45 years, so I moved over to the ukulele fairly easily. I've progressed more in the last few months on ukulele than I have in the last 20 years on guitar.

Last edited:
Firstly, I have to say...love the username 'Chordpoems'.

George Harrison was my inspiration to play, and my late grandfather was my 'enabler'. I was drawn to the uke, as others have said, simply because it's such a happy instrument. The ukulele truly can play anything.

Thanks for the thread.

Take care,

here's one for the old souls out there. the uke is most similar to the old lute you would play for the maidens. there's something compelling about nylon strings as well, good replacements for gut, and just nicer than steel.
my main instrument is trumpet. the uke is for cross training but it winds up holding its own.

My main instrument is the five string banjo. About two years ago I got a ukulele to kind of relate to my grandmother who passed and had played uke since the 1920's. Now five ukuleles later I'm hooked. I love the gentle sound and playing old standards from a bygone era and new and original things too.

Because I can. All those others, I can't. Wanna make music. Pretty simple really.

Don't overthink.

Enjoy!

I come from a musical family. My primary instrument is classical guitar.

Yet, the ukulele is a much more personal, simple, and fun instrument. Capable of very simple strums to complex jazz, classical and ethnic music. It has low expectations, and can amaze just about anyone....

Like someone said, it is like a friend. Like my dog who is constantly by my side.

Not only is it a happy instrument, and makes people smile.... It's the only "world" where I have yet to see big egos and politics. I've seen politics in martial arts, music, even Buddhist communities, but I have yet to encounter that in the ukulele communities that I belong to. Now that is amazing.

Having played guitar for 15 years, to me the ukulele is just more fun!

And..you can't get a sound like this on guitar, violin or any other instruments that you mention!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmtL...ew-vl&list=PLRFqlc7KSp4ZvlyBYW4ABSvBiW6hXYX0i

toe tappin' music!

ukes are truly portable, bright, fun and approachable. I love that any chord can be played using every string with genarally 2-3 fingers. If you just want to sing and add good depth the ukulele is there. The reentrant tuning seems to really bring out chord sounds and transitions clearly and crisply. kids love the size and playability as well.

the uke really seems to be more about making music than just playing the instrument itself.

A few months ago while buying my 6 yr old daughter a violin, the ukes caught my attention. Despite no music background (or perhaps because of?), something about their beauty, simplicity and sound all caught my attention. Had you stopped me outside the store and told me this would be the case, I would have laughed at the idea as ridiculous. I went home and researched them. I was amazed at the music some people could make (in particular, Sungha Jung's cover of "I'm Yours" blew me away: http://youtu.be/E2OEuyF_2u8). I decided to get one and my infatuation has only grown.

exactly!!!!!

Basically, it's a happy instrument. It sounds happy when you play it, and other people seem to be happy when they hear it. It's capable of serious, heart wrenching songs, or complete and utter light-hearted nonsense. It's pretty much what I look for in a friend, and a great way of channelling my love of music into something that comes close to having a friend in that sense. Plus, I don't have to save for very long to buy a new one, seeming they're cheap enough. Who doesn't like buying new stuff? :p

exactly!!!!!!

It just feels good in my hands. That's all I know, it's a feel thing.

You're right, I've played guitar for almost 30 years and can do waaaay more on that or the piano, but nothing feels as good in my hands to me. PLUS it's just such a joyous sound, even when I play minor keys, it has a melancholy, slightly happy sound!

I love what LaurenEleanor said too! It's a happy instrument and it's what I also look for in a friend!

Top Bottom