Shipping and duties to APO / BFPO???

ChaosToo

Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here, but can any of the retailers / traders on here give me any details about their experiences of shipping from the US to either BFPO or APO addresses?

I already know that goods shipped to BFPO don't incur VAT, so I'm assuming goods shipped to APO don't incur whatever taxes apply in the US?

Also, and I'm sure I stand to be corrected, but shipping to APO / BFPO addresses is usually cheaper - certainly than shipping to the UK to a 'normal' address?

Any 'real world' recent experiences of sending or receiving goods would be interesting to read.....

Many thanks

:D

We ship to APO's often. I think you have to use USPS, (I don't think UPS/FedEx do APO's.) I think it usually runs us about $45. I don't think they have to pay any duty, some of them don't even leave the states, but an international custom's form is required with all APO parcels.

I shipped to APO a couple years back and found it to cost similar to shipping to someone in the continental US. I don't think tracking was useful because it took a little longer to reach the recipient. But it arrived safely.

I've shipped to family with a DPO address many times through USPS. They don't pay import duties, and it costs similar to shipping to anyplace else in the US. I did always have to wait in line to fill out a customs form, and it always took quite a while longer to get to its destination. I seem to remember tracking being tricky, but it has been quite a while since I've sent something to them with tracking. And my family has had mail gone missing (brand new credit cards were stolen and used before getting to them, but they were living in kind of a corrupt place at the time, probably not too big of a concern if sending to the UK).

Top Bottom