ukulele as a wedding gift ? good idea yes or no?

Great idea. One more reason to look at a uke and smile!
At my brothers wedding last year I bought a yellow makala ukulele. I then got all the guests at the reception to sign it with a black sharpie. The result was a great wall hanger & hopefully a nice memory of the day for the happy couple!

thanks everyone. im just going with cash. even my parents and friend agree its not a good idea.

Sounds like you made a good choice. While I would always prefer well-thought-out gifts rather than cash, it didn't sound like they had any particular interest in ukes. We can't force our favorites on others. While I might be thrilled if someone gave me a uke and a surfboard, I don't know many of my friends that would be as thrilled about it.

I try to imagine someone giving me a gift of a football or season tickets to whatever the pro basketball team is around here, which may be just the thing they'd want, but would end up in the trash or given away. Cash is better.

An ukulele is the best that money can buy. It would be a lovely wedding's gift.

This is such an interesting question about gift giving. Apparently psychologists think that gift giving is more for the benefit of the giver. That is, it is often "the giver, rather than the recipient, who reaps the biggest psychological gains from a gift".
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/health/11well.html?_r=0

I guess that giving cash gifts actually helps skew the benefit a little more toward the recipient as they can then select their own gift. It may actually be more selfless to say "Here is some cash, get yourself something nice that you really want and will make you happy". Then the giver is not injecting their own preferences into the gift selection. This selfless justification for cash gifting usually works unless it is your wife you are gifting. ;)

Now for those of you who are determined to reap the psychological benefits as a giver by giving someone a great ukulele, I will be glad to provide you with my mailing address. You would get the greatest level of gifting satisfaction from sending me a Mya Moe, Moore Bettah, or other custom ukulele. I can provide a comprehensive lists of acceptable ukulele luthiers and sources if needed :)

I would still go with a vacuum cleaner. In doing so, you might be helping them avoid a painful breakup. Two of my friends were married for several years before the guy gave his wife a vacuum cleaner for Christmas. They were split up by March.

As much as I love the uke, I'd have to say... Cash is better. :eek: I gave some friends a uke as a house warming gift, but they were looking for novelties with red/chili peppers. So the Mainland Chili fit in. Had it not been for that, I wouldn't have given them a uke. Because 18 months later, they still don't play it.

Guess what, another wedding to go to this month. Last time i gave cash, this time i might give a hawaii made ukulele as a gift. They may not know how to play but i think this is one way of introducing them to it. Even if they dont like it .muahahah

you would need to give 2 ukes one each (a family that plays together stay together) but like was mentioned already a bit risky and if you gave money well they could buy what they like and you never know that might just be a uke or two

Hi

What a great idea giving a uke for a wedding present. You can't really go wrong, it's creative and more exciting than giving money.

My niece gets married next year and I've got two ItsyBitsyUkes made for her and him. It should be a safe bet because if they don't like them they are ideal for using as substitute table tennis bats and they adore table tennis.

Just one thing... Don't hit the ball to hard!

Regards

Uk-Al-lele

Itsybitsyuke@Gmail
https://youtu.be/QtLFjkZcnaQ

Guess what, another wedding to go to this month. Last time i gave cash, this time i might give a hawaii made ukulele as a gift. They may not know how to play but i think this is one way of introducing them to it. Even if they dont like it .muahahah

I think a nice Ko'Aloha or Kanile'a would be nice...or a Soprano Kamaka..giving a less expensive import for such a huge event in their life seems cheap to me...IMO
money always the safest but a nice uke will last forever...

The OP has already decided to donate cash. Good idea. An ukulele could wind up causing.....divorce.

Giving two is a great suggestion.

The last thing you want to do is give newlyweds something to fight over :)

My opinion is that when you have met someone who will approve of receiving an ukulele as a wedding gift, you will not have any questions about it.

Consider, also, that the average wedding gift is a monetary gift equal to the cost of your plate(s). Where I live, this means you give around $75-$100 per person listed on your invitation. I point this piece out because unless you're planning to give somebody like $1000 for this wedding, a high-end ukulele seems a little above and beyond what's expected here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom