string suggestions for spruce top concert?

Captain America

Reaction score
I've got worth browns on her now, but I'm looking to up the volume a bit. Any tips or suggestions on doing this with a spruce top?

I am pretty sure Aquila Nylgut would boost your volume, but I would try some clear Martin 600, Living Water or Savarez first.

See this review of Worth clear vs Living Water, or this one of Savarez vs Aquila.

Asked for a ranking I'd say
(1) Living Water
(2) Savarez
(3) Martin
(4) Aquila (because they always sound like Aquila strings and tend to "kill" the personality of the uke - not bad strings at all, this is just the price you pay for volume)

I'd say Worth Browns are some of the mellowest strings out there. They are sometimes good on spruce or cedar topped instruments as they tend to counteract the "boomier" nature of those woods-- I have large-bodied spruce-topped tenor and the Worths really help balance it. Overall, though, I find them a little meek.

I'll come out as a stronger advocate of Aquila Nylguts than Louis did above. I find them to have a full-bodied tone with good volume; I've had them on everything from Kala to Moore Bettah with very favorable results. While tone is subjective, and not everybody likes the same things, I've definitely never found Aquilas to kill the personality of my ukes. Your mileage, as always, may vary. :)

In all the years I have owned this Kala spruce top, I have yet to find any strings that compliment it as well as a set of light gauge Worth Clears. And honest....I do try other types from time to time. Right now I have a set of D'Addario Titanuims on it. I'm trying to leave them on long enough to feel like I've got my three bucks worth out of them. At that point, I will put some Worth clears back on it and use the the T2's as shoe laces so I can squeeze another buck-fifty out of them.

IMG_0486.jpg

Top Bottom