IPad Uke Apps

Osprey

Reaction score
I finally broke down and purchased an I-Pad Air on a Black Friday deal, what apps should I consider to enhance my ukulele experience? Even us old dogs are trying to learn some new tricks.
Cliff

If you are a member of UU+ their app is fantastic, allowing you to download lessons to watch on the iPad. If you play tabs or read sheet music, then a song library app like ForScore or OnSong is a must.

OnSong is a great app to have.

Get Garageband, and record, from the built in mic, or if you have an electric uke then get a griffin guitar connect cable.
Here:
http://store.griffintechnology.com/guitar-connect-cable-for-ipad-1
This is cheap because it plugs into the headphone socket, better audio can be had by connecting through the dock connector, but to do that costs considerably more. Headphone socket is fine!

Recoding yourself is a great way to improve your playing skills.

I have uke chords on the iphone which allows you to select a chord, display it and variations on that chord. (Not sure if this is available for ipad though)

I have ForScore, a good way to keep track of your music and use the ipad instead of a binder of music. Although I prefer playing from sheets of A4 paper as I find it easier to read than the smaller ipad.
H

Last edited:
+1 on the UU+ app, if you're a member. I'm doing the Practice Sessions from the app, which is nice.

A free app is Ukulele Companion, which has the chords, a metronome, and gives the pitches of the strings.

I use Metronome + (also free) for the simplicity of the metronome.

When I haven't wanted to use sheet music, I've used the lazy route of just taking a photo of the music with the IPad's camera, and reading it from there. It works well enough for me, though there are probably apps that would allow you to do more with the music.

There are a variety of free apps that can allow you to record, and as already mentioned, Garageband, (now free also, I think), will let you record also.

For guitar, someone suggested Guitar Tuna (also free) for a tuner. I like it, but need a Ukulele Tuna, since the guitar version is confused by my ukulele. (Or at least by my version of playing a ukulele.) Any suggestions? I have a clip on tuner which is my primary tuner for ukulele, but it could be handy to have a tuner on the IPad as well.

I'm a new poster, but have been lurking here for a while, and am on day 27 of the Practice sessions, so have been on UU+ as well.

GuitarToolkit is great for learning chords and scales among other things. It has built in settings for high G and low G uke and you can make your own tunings as well.

There are a few apps I use on the iPad regularly.

Some are a few bucks, but may be available in free ad-supported versions.

I particularly like UChord which I use mostly for the reverse lookup function - just taps the strings at the frets you want and it will tell you what chords are available for those fingerings. Once you have selected four strings you should be down to one named chord or its alternates. There's a slight restriction in that it only knows the first four recognized positions of each chord so if you are looking way up the fretboard it won't help much. The forward lookup function isn't well designed so I use two other apps for that. Overall though as it's the only reasonably priced reverse lookup app I have found I think it was well worth having.

The two apps I like for normal chord finding are Tekachords (free version is Basichords), and Chords4Ukes. Both have nice interfaces and many variations of fingering positions for each chord up and down the fretboard.

One app which has only just been released for iPad (previously I had used it extensively on Android) is PitchLab. It acts as a good tuner but has some cool functions for analyzing what chord you are playing and displaying each note it hears - it's just a lot of fun to play with. To get ukulele tuning you have to buy at least the 99c instrument pack.

I haven't yet used an app to assemble songs for playing. I prefer paper still. But I will look into the suggestions others have made in this thread.

Last edited:
Personally I like SongBook ChordPro over OnSong. Importing songs from Chordie.com is a snap and you can have the chord diagrams on the side instead of the bottom.

Also BasicChord (or the big brother Tekachords) is one of the better chord apps. Upload your PDF songs too!

Enjoy

Another great application for the iPad is On the Path. It's the best music instructional app I've seen. In short, many legendary musicians provide a video lessons for various instruments (guitar, bass, piano). There is only one Uke lesson as of now, but it's by Jake Shimakuboro. If I recall, it was $15 for the lesson. But once you pay, you own it for good. And in his lesson he teaches you his cover of My Guitar Gently Weeps. You can slow it down, set loops, etc. Very, very useful. Here is a demo of the app by Jeff Bridges: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pprWA8L7fjk

I use songbook and garage band.

One app I like on both iPad and iPhone that's not been mentioned yet is Ukulele Chord Detector. It detects the chords you have on your iPad's music library (or YouTube or sound cloud or dropbox) and then scrolls them along (in chord shape format) while the song plays so you can play along in the same key. There's also capo and tempo adjustment: If you don't like the chords shown, the app offers you the chance to put a capo at various frets to get "easier" shapes as well as a tempo adjustment. You can also go back or forward through a song in 30-second chunks. It's $2.99.

I just bought it too for the Jake lesson. Touch the upper part of the screen and a icon bar will show. Touch the icon to the right of the arrow (list icon) and the list of lessons shows. Scroll down to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Now I just have to get over my insecurity and tackle it.

Not sure if you were responding to the post I deleted, but just in case:

For some reason, it just took a long time for ITunes to give me the option to download Jake's lesson. (Over an hour.) I just went back to fuss with it again, and it had me sign back into ITunes again, and then let me download. It's downloading now, (hopefully.) ITunes has always hated me, LOL.

Though I know Jake's lesson will be way over my head, I wanted to at least see it, so I let ITunes bully me for a while. From the sample, it looks like it should be worth the frustration with ITunes, though. :)

Tonya, thanks for the heads ho on this app. It is great!!!

It is cool to follow along, even if you have the chords already as you can see filler chords that you normally would not see on a chord sheet... Well worth the price. I got the guitar edition, and added the Uke pack.

Aside from having the guitar, that is good for a baritone, just use the first four strings of the guitar chords.

Anyway, thanks, I've been playing with it all night, it's that good.

One app I like on both iPad and iPhone that's not been mentioned yet is Ukulele Chord Detector. It detects the chords you have on your iPad's music library (or YouTube or sound cloud or dropbox) and then scrolls them along (in chord shape format) while the song plays so you can play along in the same key. There's also capo and tempo adjustment: If you don't like the chords shown, the app offers you the chance to put a capo at various frets to get "easier" shapes as well as a tempo adjustment. You can also go back or forward through a song in 30-second chunks. It's $2.99.

http://irealpro.com
I've had fun with iReal Pro. You need to pay extra for the different accompaniment styles, but it is worth it to use to play along.

Also check out The Music Path. It has lessons from various great musicians on different instruments. The app is free and you pay for whatever lessons you download. For Uke, Jake has an intensive tutorial on My Guitar Gently weeps. It has great features like the ability to slow down and set loop points.

Top Bottom