::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other, other news.

Costco's pesto sauce is amazing.

I'm can't have much pasta so I've been figuring out other ways to use it. So far I've come up with a baked chicken in pesto and mozzarella (took me three tries to spell that) and chicken noodle soup with pesto in it (equally yummy). Anyone have any good recipes calling for pesto that aren't pasta based?

As I read your post, I wanted to recommend pesto in soup. Then I see you've done that already. Panera Bread serves a really good vegetable soup with pesto....

I used the Trader Joe's Masala sauce this weekend on some chicken, and sprinkled it with cilantro when I served it on a bed of rice. It was ridiculously good. I am definitely doing it again. Big thanks for that. Found out about the TJ masala sauce on this thread. Also, I made two types of teriyaki chicken. A standard flavor and a pineapple honey one. The pineapple honey was a hit with the kids.

I can't imagine the loss of a child. I feel bad for them, too....

It's a really messed up family. None of the siblings get along at all. Never have. I hope they can pull together and support each other through this. I'd be completely broken.

Wow I got way ahead of nature there. I was thinking that maybe the expanding water in the tree damaged the wood and then they broke because of the weight. Your way makes much more sense!

Evergreen trees are shallow-rooted. It's not unusual at all for them to just uproot and fall over under the weight of the ice, particularly if there is also wind....

As I read your post, I wanted to recommend pesto in soup. Then I see you've done that already. Panera Bread serves a really good vegetable soup with pesto....

I made the soup for James, but with the little that was left I put some pesto into it just to try and it was amazing. I might try to bake it into some bread too now that you mention Panera.

Oh, and since it's you talking food, you just reminded me that there is a Chick-Fil-A that opened up about two miles from my school. :)

Is that game fun? I'm sick of playing Super Mario 3D. Finally got him to try Nintendo Land and he likes that. May have to invest in Mario Kart also. We have Star Wars Lego but that got old fast.

The lego games are all fairly similar. We usually just download off the playstation network. That way I don't have to worry about the discs getting scratched.

Oooooh . . . I bet pesto in rice would be good too. All these things I can't have much of :(

Is that game fun? I'm sick of playing Super Mario 3D. Finally got him to try Nintendo Land and he likes that. May have to invest in Mario Kart also. We have Star Wars Lego but that got old fast.

Mario kart is a good one for playing with the kids.

I made the soup for James, but with the little that was left I put some pesto into it just to try and it was amazing. I might try to bake it into some bread too now that you mention Panera.

Oh, and since it's you talking food, you just reminded me that there is a Chick-Fil-A that opened up about two miles from my school. :)

Lucky you! I'll get to have some next week, when we get to Florida.

Tonight I made my Faux Filet chicken (baked, not fried), with my Pseudo CFA Sauce. My wife and I both love it, although it's not as good as the real thing. But then, it's probably better for us than the real stuff....

The lego games are all fairly similar. We usually just download off the playstation network. That way I don't have to worry about the discs getting scratched.

Can your kids work the controllers without problems?

I guess James could do it. I underestimate his gaming ability all the time. I'll download it on my PS3 and check it out. Good suggestion.

Mario kart is a good one for playing with the kids.

Thanks.

Hey Dan, you're a mac guy. I just got a new macbook pro from my school and I can't seem to get it to mirror. On my old macbook when I hooked up a VGA dongle into a projector it would activate the F7 key as a hotkey and I could toggle back and forth. On the new macbook it doesn't recognize the external plug in and there is no hotkey. Am I missing something? I tried the computers "help" but it only gives help for Airplay and I can't use Airplay for what I'm using it for (yet).

The Airplay works fine in my classroom but I have Apple TV hooked up and a separate router for just my classroom.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Can your kids work the controllers without problems?

I guess James could do it. I underestimate his gaming ability all the time. I'll download it on my PS3 and check it out. Good suggestion.

Yes, my kids have no problems with the controllers. Including my 5 year old. One of the favorite multi player games is a fairly simple one called pixel junk monsters. I like to play it. When they are playing with each other they usually play minecraft.

Oh, now I see Mrs. AquaDan who is most definitely a mac person if I'm to believe the username :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Hey Dan, you're a mac guy. I just got a new macbook pro from my school and I can't seem to get it to mirror. On my old macbook when I hooked up a VGA dongle into a projector it would activate the F7 key as a hotkey and I could toggle back and forth. On the new macbook it doesn't recognize the external plug in and there is no hotkey. Am I missing something? I tried the computers "help" but it only gives help for Airplay and I can't use Airplay for what I'm using it for (yet).

The Airplay works fine in my classroom but I have Apple TV hooked up and a separate router for just my classroom.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

I'm switching over to the Mac from my iPad, but I think the Mac fanatic has beaten me to the answer

Oh, now I see Mrs. AquaDan who is most definitely a mac person if I'm to believe the username :)

Any suggestions?

Hmmm Mrs. AquaDan, huh?

They remapped a bunch of the command keys. Mirroring is command-F1 now. And there's a neat little app an annoyed user wrote and posted in the apple store: http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/display-menu/id549083868?mt=12

Puts the display menu up in the (of all places) menu bar, which is super slick.

:)

Oops, Mr. Macmuse pointed out that I posted a link from the Deutsche Mac store. If you just search in the App Store for Display Menu it's the first hit. (The dev appears to be German and I'm on an iPad at the moment so can't get at the proper US store link)

Last edited:
To me it is more of a cultural thing. Plus,I am not doing it often, and you ever wake up with a hangover or a need for more off Kava? I haven't. Kava is something that is easy to take or leave. Wish I could say that about nicotine which I really would like to stay away from. Switched to ecigs, and haven't had a regular cigarette this month. I want to taper down on the ecig until I get rid of it. I don't mind keeping my morning coffee. Trust me I am keeping a watchful eye on it. I have a good AA friend that does some Kava and said it has never been an issue. I do hear what you are saying. I don't want a slippery slope. Don't know if that answered anything.
Yeah, just curious how you felt about it.
Some people when they are sober still take prescription opiates for pain (when they must), others make due with NSAIDs. Some people still think pot is OK, and caffeine too, but some don't, that is what I was kind of curious about with you.

When I quit smoking (the first time hahaha when I turned 30), I told myself I could still smoke in Vegas, because I thought it would be impossible not to smoke there. For the first two trips there after I quit, I was able to smoke there, and only there, and leave it there. After that, I really just was over smoking and so I did not care. I did relapse about three years later when I went to a friend's wedding, and pretty much everyone in the wedding party were smokers. I started smoking every day again after that. The next time I quit, I quit for good. No cheating. No loopholes. That was seven years ago. I really don't think there is any other way with nicotine.

Glad you quit the cigarettes. That is a big deal for your health. When I have had pain situations in recovery I would only take ibuprofen. I certainly wouldn't smoke pot and call it sober. I certainly have no issue with coffee. Don't see any reasonable harm caused by it. I have used cough syrup with codeine once in almost 25 years of recovery when I was suffocating in a room full of air in an ER. I had a really bad case of pneumonia. They gave me one cup that stopped the cough and a breathing treatment. I was fine when I left the ER. I am sure if I had a serious enough surgery I would let someone dole out pain meds, but hope I don't end up in that position. I don't ever want to go back to where I was. I was a real mess and there certainly wasn't any more fun left. When I had my vasectomy they gave me some kind of head change pain med during the surgery. It made me really unhappy. I went directly home and slept it off. I need to watch my food intake now too. My metabolism just changed in the last 1-2 years. Prior to that I could eat as often and as much as I wanted. I think I am much more aware of mortality coming up on fifty. A lot of people I worked with in treatment have died in the last few years, alcoholism,murder,heart attack,etc. I really want to take good care of myself and be around for me and my children.

Elwood update: He's doing OK!

We had some concern when the xrays from his appointment yesterday showed one of the screws backing out. The vets at Auburn said he would have to stay in his brace another 3 - 6 weeks. But, this morning Retha began wondering if they were comparing the Xrays taken yesterday to the ones right after his surgery, instead of the ones taken 2 weeks after. She called the university, and they checked. They indeed had been comparing to the images right after surgery. They then compared to the xrays taken 2 weeks after that, and the most recent xrays show no movement of the screws or plates, so he is doing great! We should be able to start weaning him off the neck and back brace. While he has been it these past few weeks, his muscles that hold his head up have been atrophying. So, he will need to start having some "free from brace" time to get those muscles back in shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom