::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's it? I awoke at four something in the morning and caught up in one minute.

So no word about the new position... But I've officially been "laid off" at work... I'll get all the time I had left and 2 weeks of severance and I get to stay on the insurance for 3 months... There is still a chance we will get to go back hopefully after the end of the year, but right now that's all the word I have... Becca is picking up all the hours she can at work and I'm officially a "stay at home dad" while I look for a new job/wait to hear if I get to come back to my current one...
Four letter word!
Sucks Andy. Fingers crossed mate!

Today I read a story in the IDS (Bloomington/IU's student paper) about a local woman on food stamps and how a lot of people's food stamps are being cut. I initially thought it was supposed to be an article about how tough it is for some people and how they rely on food stamps to get by, but by the end of the article I was pretty pissed off. By the way Bloomington has got to be the easiest town to be poor in in America, lots of programs,free food kitchens with dine in and carry out, free food pantries etc.
I don't think that was the reporters intention, but this is what I got out of it. She dropped out of high school, got pregnant at 17, has 4 kids by 4 different fathers, smokes Newports, smokes while changing her kids diapers, lost a job at the hospital for being late and absent too often, currently has high speed internet, has a live-in boyfriend that doesn't work (but clearly eats the food as seen in a pic). Towards the end of the article she mentions running out of food and money and getting $100 from her mom and goes to Walmart and buys among other things..... cigarettes. Then at the end, to top it all off she talks about waking the kids up at midnight when the food stamp card is renewed and going to the gas station and buying junk food for her and her kids. All this info was interspaced with quotes from her saying stuff like " I don't know what I could do differently"
Sorry, needed to rant.

Theses are the people I put in jail 90% of the time (I take great pleasure in it). Theses people are lazy, not disabled. There are plenty of people out there that honestly need help. The above is the stereotypical example of someone leeching off the system. The real problem is those four kids are learning that moms way of life is perfectly acceptable. Other than the grossness, I think I hate cigarettes so much because I identify smokers with the above. Obviously that stereotype is ridiculous and I know it (my mother in law is a smoker and a successful woman). It's a completely irrational feeling that I can't seem to shake. End rant.

Morning, PoHos. I've been away for a couple days. What did I miss?

Not much, except for Andy.

Oh, and Melvis is going to NAMM.

Freeda got a secret shopper job.

Sally went to the lawyer for her dad's estate.

Rich (NewportLocal) hurt his shoulder picking up his 'uke case.

Many of us slept or napped. A few had insomnia.

Last edited:
Not much, except for Andy.

Oh, and Melvis is going to NAMM.

Freeda got a secret shopper job.

Sally went to the lawyer for her dad's estate.

Rich (NewportLocal) hurt his shoulder picking up his 'uke case.

Many of us slept or napped. A few had insomnia.

Thank you!

I have been in pain since Friday night. I went to the music meeting, and reached over to grab my uke from the passenger side of my car. I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder. It has hurt all weekend. I have been trying not to use it.
We did get the Christmas tree up though.

That really sucks. Try ice and ibuprofen (if you can take that).

I hurt my shoulder too - part of why I've been trying to stay off the computer. Haven't been able to play for about a week, but mine's on the mend. Hope yours is getting better too!

ETA: I guess this was a pointless post considering you posted days ago. The perils of catch up!

I got a SAD light and I'm sitting here in front of its strange glow. I hope it helps, but even if it doesn't, it gives off a good light for reading. Any of you use one? They are for SAD, but also help with other things. I'm hoping mine makes me eager to start working out again.

That really sucks. Try ice and ibuprofen (if you can take that).

I hurt my shoulder too - part of why I've been trying to stay off the computer. Haven't been able to play for about a week, but mine's on the mend. Hope yours is getting better too!

ETA: I guess this was a pointless post considering you posted days ago. The perils of catch up!

Concern and care is never pointless nor wasted, regardless of its timeliness.

Good Day Sunshines!

Way too long story about my early morning foe!

My Personal Trainer Nemesis was at the gym today! I was doing a round of triceps rope pull downs, then to the chest machine, then to the shoulder press. Repeat. So, he trains this one guy that I think is hilarious and is super friendly a few days a week. Same thing he does with everyone else. The usual routine. Anyway, the pull up bar is on this machine that has 2 towers for cable stuff and the pull up bar in the middle, but of course, he takes over the whole machine. Even having his guy do pushups right there in the middle. Dude... all you need is a floor... why must you use the floor in the MIDDLE of the machine for pushups. The gym is not that small. But I think he was purposefully running me off the machine. He did not want to move him a little bit where I could get in and do my thing and he have to heaven forbid wait 20 seconds to do his next part.

And I was already there, so he knew I was coming back and that all he needed to do was use the floor NEXT to the machine, not in the middle of the machine. The guy he trains though, when he saw me standing politely goes, "I am going to move over here for her!" Now THAT is gym etiquette. All he had to do was shift a couple feet. But what made me sad is the guy he trains went over the curling free weight area and grabbed a bar and said, "When are we going to do more of this." He was sitting at the curling assist thing and curling the bar and my nemesis says, "When you come 3 days a week consistently for a month, then we will look into doing more of that stuff." WHAT?! #1, 3 days a week is like $120. #2 If he wants to lift weights, let the dude lift weights, he is paying you.

This guy is always begging for a break, laying on the floor, hating the sprints of things he has to do. Honestly, I wonder if he is like me where his heart rate spikes abnormally high and sprints are painful and hard to recover from (I do them, but for like 20 min on my own heart rate terms).

Anyway, next I see him I am going to find a way to say, "Dude... if you want to lift weights. Just text me and we can lift together... FREE!"

I just did not like hearing his PT who he PAYS basically saying "You can do that on my terms only, if you pay me enough to come 3 days a week."
He is a black guy so genetically you know he will buff up good with some weights too.

And I could use a training partner (though he is a wuss sometimes, and he also is a grunter... like the obscene sounding kind and those make me giggle). Haha!

I got a SAD light and I'm sitting here in front of its strange glow. I hope it helps, but even if it doesn't, it gives off a good light for reading. Any of you use one? They are for SAD, but also help with other things. I'm hoping mine makes me eager to start working out again.

Oooo... I wonder if one would keep me more productive on grey days at work. Sometimes I get totally blah.

And I have heard people that say they help! And working out will help too cause it is always a mood lifter. The problem is, dark cold days = no wanting to work out = not feeling so happy = dark cold days seeming darker = even more not wanting to work out ... etc. etc.

Hope the light breaks the cycle! I knew a girl from Alaska with SAD. Poor dear. Not the place to live with that.

Today I read a story in the IDS (Bloomington/IU's student paper) about a local woman on food stamps and how a lot of people's food stamps are being cut. I initially thought it was supposed to be an article about how tough it is for some people and how they rely on food stamps to get by, but by the end of the article I was pretty pissed off. By the way Bloomington has got to be the easiest town to be poor in in America, lots of programs,free food kitchens with dine in and carry out, free food pantries etc.
I don't think that was the reporters intention, but this is what I got out of it. She dropped out of high school, got pregnant at 17, has 4 kids by 4 different fathers, smokes Newports, smokes while changing her kids diapers, lost a job at the hospital for being late and absent too often, currently has high speed internet, has a live-in boyfriend that doesn't work (but clearly eats the food as seen in a pic). Towards the end of the article she mentions running out of food and money and getting $100 from her mom and goes to Walmart and buys among other things..... cigarettes. Then at the end, to top it all off she talks about waking the kids up at midnight when the food stamp card is renewed and going to the gas station and buying junk food for her and her kids. All this info was interspaced with quotes from her saying stuff like " I don't know what I could do differently"
Sorry, needed to rant.

When I was a social work assistant for CPS (before being an at-risk youth social worker) the thing I hated doing MOST that they asked me to do is call around and try to get assistance for families on their caseload that could not pay a power bill. The ironic thing is, they would pay their over $100 cable bill, have all the premium channels first. You would think, "Why? What is having cable without power?" Well... churches would not pay for a cable bill, but they would pay for a power bill. So they would pay for cable and then call their social worker saying they would lose power in a few days and they would send me to call around and get church donations.

Yep... I have seen the system abused first hand. It was super frustrating.

FINALLY got hotel booked, NAMM pass confirmed (they were wanting more info, but Ukeeku took care of that for me), and got my flight changed so I go home on Monday instead of Sunday!

I can officially be excited about NAMM now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom