hand positions

4stringjonty

Reaction score
Im having a few issues with holding the ukulele properly.
I have watched the dvd I have but do to my arm issues (partlyaralized)
I am a bit week in that arm. I tried one where you hold it on your leg and away from the body, using your arm as support.

Here is my question. Sense my ukulele dose not have a strap peg what are some good positions to try? Both sitting and standing.

4stringjonty,
Is there a 'ukulele group in your vicinity? A local guitar teacher? If you do, you could ask for some advice.

My 'uke teacher is able to squeeze his 'ukulele to his upper chest with his right arm and hold it securely to allow his fretting hand freedom on the fretboard. His fretting hand is hardly supporting the neck.

Please don't give up. You will eventually find a way to make that 'uke play.

With a little help, strap buttons can be installed on your uke in minutes if a strap with a sound hole hook wont work. I noticed there are anti-slip stickers for the back of fleas and flukes to keep them from slipping. I also like to avoid wearing "slippery" synthetic fabric shirts which I find facilitates slipping of the uke.

Yes agree with Phil to some extent about a strap, there are some very nice quality straps about, I use the Chicago kells mandolin strap its very soft so will not cause any damage to your instrument, they are made in the USA I would highly recommend, good luck.

... I tried one where you hold it on your leg and away from the body, using your arm as support.

Here is my question. Sense my ukulele dose not have a strap peg what are some good positions to try? Both sitting and standing.

I like that position too, however the neck would drop when I played up the neck, so I invented a strap that holds it dead steady. You could try my Uke Leash... no button required and it works great for keeping some space between the back of the uke and your body. See link in signature for details and video.
–Lori

Lori beat me to posting about it, but I also invented a unique kind of ukulele strap that doesn't require strap buttons or other modifications and gives true no-hands support. You may want to check it out at www.mobiusstrap.com.

4stringjonty,
Is there a 'ukulele group in your vicinity? A local guitar teacher? If you do, you could ask for some advice.

My 'uke teacher is able to squeeze his 'ukulele to his upper chest with his right arm and hold it securely to allow his fretting hand freedom on the fretboard. His fretting hand is hardly supporting the neck.

Please don't give up. You will eventually find a way to make that 'uke play.

I won't give up I've made progress quicker then other instruments I've tried.

I like that position too, however the neck would drop when I played up the neck, so I invented a strap that holds it dead steady. You could try my Uke Leash... no button required and it works great for keeping some space between the back of the uke and your body. See link in signature for details and video.
–Lori

Sounds good. I may look into it.

Lori beat me to posting about it, but I also invented a unique kind of ukulele strap that doesn't require strap buttons or other modifications and gives true no-hands support. You may want to check it out at www.mobiusstrap.com.

I have two ukes one has a button strap.

I was having uke-holding challenges for different reasons, and last week I invented my own two-strap solution that holds the uke exactly where I want it, completely stationary and hands-free. I made a video, and you can read all sorts of other suggestions I received on the thread that led to its genesis:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?90328-Playing-with-Boobs. (Sorry for the salacious thread title ... it attracted the attention I wanted and helped me get an answer ... and got some good laughs as a bonus.)

You're getting lots of great suggestions ... I'd love to hear what you end up with.

- Wendy

i found that holding it at an angle on my knee helps but with lack of strangth in my left arm i have isuess holding securely to my chest or stomache. i'm hoping a strap helps.

Top Bottom