SoCal San Diego Jam Session

mmanalo

Reaction score
Well I've missed a few gatherings here in San Diego, Was wondering if anyone would like to help set one up for the near future. I'm thinking March or April at a San Diego Bay with some BBQ (island style) and soft drinks...etc. Let me know~!:shaka:

im the one that has put together the last three "san diego represent" get togethers. i love putting them together, but its just so much work. and the band has been super busy. that along with the other things that go on in my life make it hard to think about setting another one up.

so if you are planning to start one up, PLEASE DO. it would be awesome. only advice i can give you is try to cover as many corners as you can, and people will come.

parking
ammenities
children
food/drinks
weather
bonfire or not

build it and they will come.

i think im coming back to SD in may/june for 3 months...hopefully i can come to another!

im the one that has put together the last three "san diego represent" get togethers. i love putting them together, but its just so much work. and the band has been super busy. that along with the other things that go on in my life make it hard to think about setting another one up.

so if you are planning to start one up, PLEASE DO. it would be awesome. only advice i can give you is try to cover as many corners as you can, and people will come.

parking
ammenities
children
food/drinks
weather
bonfire or not

Everybody meetup at Nuke's house. He will provide lots of food and drinks. Almost Islanders will give away free uke's to everyone too!!! How does that sound? :) Hehe.

shhh.... dont let the secret out too early!! :shaka:

im down for another one...the last one was so much fun...so much uke, so much love...

parking
ammenities
children
food/drinks
weather
bonfire or not

Yeah, I hear ya...Between work and my family I'm swamped during the week and sometimes the weekend. But maybe if theirs some people that wants to get together as a group and set it up that would make it easier on all of us. But if not, then I'll do my best. Summers sounds great for da outdoors, since they took the fire pits out at the bays!

We need to find a place to do it indoors during the winter months. Anybody have any connections to something we can all use? I'm trying to find a place in the OC for indoor get togethers, but one in SD is needed too.

Yeah, that's da only thing with winter months unless you gather during the day. But indoors are hard to find. But if I come up with anything I'll be sure to post it. Other than that, if a few people are down to help set something up for this summer..let me know!

im the one that has put together the last three "san diego represent" get togethers. i love putting them together, but its just so much work. and the band has been super busy. that along with the other things that go on in my life make it hard to think about setting another one up. ....

So I was wondering if I was the only one who caught the noahs ark/evan almighty refrence??
But yeah so down to day another jam session!!

doing it indoors would be great. especially nowadays. but with the HUGE turnouts we get at these things its going to be difficult for us to find a place that will accomodate us while staying in the capacity. dont wanna get shut down by the fire marshall.

things to think about when doing it indoors:
1. if it is a store, we have to make it worthwhile to the establishment. the moonlight strummers do it in a pizza joint. they pay to come, but they get pizza and drinks.
2. if it is a hall, someone would have to come up with the funds to rent the place. again, for that to work, everyone in attendance would have to chip in.
3. do you wanna charge the participants to participate?

this is the major reason why i did them outdoors. people that wanted to bring something did. and we always had enough to go around. people that couldnt afford to chip in could still participate.

How about a BBQ/Jam Sesh at Rohr Park? The ideal setup would be to reserve section R-3. Any other area would be too big or too small.The rental fee for residents of Chula Vista is $90 with a $75 Deposit. For non-residents it's $180 for the rental with a $75 deposit. Maybe we could have a resident/group of residents front the cost and pass around a bucket at the actual event for people to drop some cash in. If we go over the rental fee, somebody (preferably a dedicated organizer ::cough::Nuke::cought::) could save the overage for the next get together. $90 is chump change if we have a group pay for it. We could play some football or basketball. It would be an all day thing. How's that sound? :shaka:

How about a BBQ/Jam Sesh at Rohr Park? The ideal setup would be to reserve section R-3. Any other area would be too big or too small.The rental fee for residents of Chula Vista is $90 with a $75 Deposit. For non-residents it's $180 for the rental with a $75 deposit. Maybe we could have a resident/group of residents front the cost and pass around a bucket at the actual event for people to drop some cash in. If we go over the rental fee, somebody (preferably a dedicated organizer ::cough::Nuke::cought::) could save the overage for the next get together. $90 is chump change if we have a group pay for it. We could play some football or basketball. It would be an all day thing. How's that sound? :shaka:

that sounds like a damn good idea...i would chip in for that for sure

Hell yeah, Sounds good to me. I would definately chip in for the fees and setting up as well. Maybe it'll be a good time to start a ukulele club and have it annually? I'm down to help with whatever! Keep me informed!

things to think about when doing it indoors:

1. if it is a store, we have to make it worthwhile to the establishment. the moonlight strummers do it in a pizza joint. they pay to come, but they get pizza and drinks.

Everybody orders alacarte there now, Arvin. The club collects $2 bucks for dues.

2. if it is a hall, someone would have to come up with the funds to rent the place. again, for that to work, everyone in attendance would have to chip in.

The Wind an' Sea ukulele club meets at the VFW near La Jolla. There is no charge to use it. Being that you're a veteran, Arvin, you might want to approach them. All ages are welcome and they also have a bar for adult beverages and a full kitchen.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/windanseauke .

3. do you wanna charge the participants to participate?

this is the major reason why i did them outdoors. people that wanted to bring something did. and we always had enough to go around. people that couldnt afford to chip in could still participate.

The Wind an' Sea group does not charge anything. USA and Moonlight both have $2 buck dues to cover minor operating expenses.

...also, many public libraries have free rooms for such events. The new Encinitas library has rooms that hold several hundred. Cities LOVE having community ukulele groups that play for them at public functions. You get lots of perks when you're "in the band". If you like, you could start another chapter of the Ukulele Society of America

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ukulele_Society_of_America

You can still name your group any thing you want. This gives you a little bit of organizational structure, bylaws and a large songbook (downloadable from the website) from the jump. Believe me, it's nothing formal, but it helps immensely when approaching establishments/restaurants to use their facilities. Pizza parlors and Island restaurants will let you use their facilities for free on their slow business nights with the expectation that some of you will eat while there. When you approach these establishments, you're selling them the concept of bringing them new business. I helped form a new ukulele club in Carlsbad last year. We have almost 300 members, now.

that sounds awesome and i would definitely contribute to that bucket of yours! keep me posted.. i missed the past few but hopefully i can make this one :D

wow a lot of support and a lot of good ideas! ric, thanks for clearing some of things up and giving us some great ideas for the next possible get together.

now, guys... like i said, ive been extremely busy. so to be honest, right now, puting something like this together is just not a priority. work and family have to come first, and that takes up enough planning time.

so now im asking for someone else to step up and take the reigns on this. i will most definitely do my best to participate, but i just cannot commit myself to the planning of it at this time. seriously. please. somebody get this going!

Top Bottom