Does National Make Koaloha Necks?

justinlcecil

Reaction score
I know this sounds like an odd question, but I was just watching a documentary on National Resophonic guitars. They were showcasing their CNC machines (It appears they build almost everything CNC). They made some necks and then all of a sudden I see the crown headstock and unique heel of a koaloha ukulele (This made me miss my Koaloha concert a great deal...it was a wonderful instrument). Was anyone else aware that the necks were made by National?
You can see the necks being made at the 47:47 mark. It is a fascinating documentary by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Nw8dQWL4c

Screen cap of the completed CNC neck. Screen Shot 2013-12-07 at 3.41.12 AM.jpg

I have no idea about the neck but thanks for posting the link to this video. I own a couple national guitars and this video told me more about them than I ever knew before.

Sure looks like Koaloha necks to me. Koaloha is probably not the only company they make parts for. They have some pretty impressive machinery. Thanks for posting the video.

It is my understanding that National does make necks for KoAloha.
What I like about CNC necks is they are all the same.
I have some Larrivee guitars and every neck feels the same, they are CNC as well.
Vintage Martins and Gibsons are great guitars, but the hand shaped necks varied a bit even on the same model.

I definitely don't have a problem with the necks being CNC. It helps with consistency and speed. Did you see how many they were doing at a time in the video? It does make me wonder if koaloha has anyone else making parts for them.

Top Bottom