Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fingerpicking my Ukulele

Default Fingerpicking my Ukulele

I was wondering what tips anybody had on the best way which i could fingerpick on my Ukulele as i have tried one but its just not working for me.

Talking Discover your own

Quote Originally Posted by tomzilla View Post
    I was wondering what tips anybody had on the best way which i could fingerpick on my Ukulele as i have tried one but its just not working for me.
    There are literally hundreds of options. Often, when watching tv...I just finger pick the strings (not nose..ha) to see if I can discover a good combo.

Try this one: pluck stings 1....2.....1......3 (repeat) then step it up and try this one: 1.....2......1.......3......1......2.....1.......4 (repeat)

Now: mix in different chords to change things up.....
    Where are the other two strings?

Im going to jump on this post so i can get emails when someone post. im getting to the finger picking part of my learning also and any help would be great. but i will add practice is the best way to learn...

Howlie Boy
    I Was a post whore. But im back so lets see what we can do to become one again...

what i do to warm up or when i just play around is this little pattern: with your first finger pick C, E, & A continuously and with your thumb pick G in between every note. so it would look like G A G E G C G E G A G E G C etc.

start with two fingers and once you can do it fast to the point where its easy try using your middle finger to pick the A string.

One of my favorite ways to fingerpick chords is picking the strings in the order of GECA. I also do an inside-out order which would be CEGA. I try to use my thumb, index, and middle finger as much as I can to help develop better finger dexterity. My thumb will get the top 2 strings and my index gets the E string and my middle finger gets the A string

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    what i do to warm up or when i just play around is this little pattern: with your first finger pick C, E, & A continuously and with your thumb pick G in between every note. so it would look like G A G E G C G E G A G E G C etc.

start with two fingers and once you can do it fast to the point where its easy try using your middle finger to pick the A string.
    i think one of my biggest problems is finding the strings... what i mean is say i need to play an e string, i always end up hitting the a string... i hope these finger execises will help with that.

Howlie boy
    I Was a post whore. But im back so lets see what we can do to become one again...

Bayview Township, Bayfield County, WI USA

When 1st learning to pick I used the thumb for the G, index for C, middle for E and ring finger for A, braced for position with the pinky. Eventually no need to brace with pinky. Allows for plucking all four strings when needed. Not sure if this technically correct. Self-teaching = a few bad habits. Works for me. Hopefully if a bad method it will not present a road block in the future. My single note tremolo really stinks. This specific finger to string system may be one of the reasons.
    Noel V.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlie Boy View Post
    i think one of my biggest problems is finding the strings... what i mean is say i need to play an e string, i always end up hitting the a string... i hope these finger execises will help with that.

Howlie boy
    ALWAYS start SUPER slow with strums or picking. Once it becomes mindless and muscle memory....THEN speed things up a bit.
    Where are the other two strings?

Quote Originally Posted by koa View Post
    When 1st learning to pick I used the thumb for the G, index for C, middle for E and ring finger for A, braced for position with the pinky. Eventually no need to brace with pinky. Allows for plucking all four strings when needed. Not sure if this technically correct. Self-teaching = a few bad habits. Works for me. Hopefully if a bad method it will not present a road block in the future. My single note tremolo really stinks. This specific finger to string system may be one of the reasons.
    i use my thumb for the G, pointer for C and E, and middle for A(sometimes i use my pointer for A aswell depending on the song)

I think koa's way of doing it is the best way to get started (one finger for each string). Start out practicing by going up the strings like this:

T=thumb, I=pointer, M=middle, A=ring

Then practice going up then down like this:

Then you can start doing more complicated stuff by picking more than one string at one. Like this:

There are a ton of possibilities for this type of playing. I've got a mini course on this subject on my email list with tabs and videos. You can sign up for it here if you're interested.

Thread Information