Thread: Problem with G

Default Problem with G

Hi, I'm new here, and new to the ukulele.
    My C E A strings are ok, but G has a strange sound to it. Whilst the others are smoother sounding, this one sounds perhaps tinny (?). I'm not sure how else to describe it. The ukulele was only bought a new months ago and have barely been used. What could the problem be?

Play it on the second fret and compare it to the A string open. It's the same note (assuming you have a high G) and the sound quality should be almost identical. If not it could be a number of things but it's most likely bad strings. If you do have a high G, try replacing the G string with the A string (still tuned to A) and see if that sounds fine. If it does then it's the strings. If it doesn't then it could be the nut, the action, a fret problem...hard to tell without hearing it.

Craig
    Last edited by cpatch; 01-25-2009 at 01:03 PM.

If you are still having trouble record a short video so we can hear your problem. Frett buzz? maybe a high g string tuned low or a low g string tuned high? or just poor quality strings?

i had a tingy A string
    to fix it i put a small piece of cotton (from q-tip) between the nut and the string.

Same problem with the E string on my Kala Tenor. I suspect the nut but not sure.
    Haha. No, your mother plays a "mini guitar". This is an ooo kooo le le. Can u say that with me?.....

Thread Information