Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Kamaka - Craigslist find

Default Vintage Kamaka - Craigslist find

Someone posted a vintage Kamaka on Craigslist yesterday. I ended up taking it home but wasn't sure what year or the value of it.

From what I've found, it looks to be 1920's - 1930's. Tuners probably aren't original though. Crack in the top, separation on the back and possible separation at the neck joint.

I've uploaded some pictures…maybe someone with more Kamaka knowledge can help?

Thanks!

There are many with better knowledge, but headstock label is 20's thru mid 30's.
    http://unofficialkamakaukulele.wordp...dstock-decals/
    From your inside label patent date it has to be after jan. 3,1928.
    Great uke.
    Last edited by Newportlocal; 12-10-2013 at 05:43 AM.
    I'd rather be plucking at a ukulele on a faraway beach. I was not a soft-leather-Italian-shoe kind of man. I was a flip-flop man.
    J. Maarten Troost

Nice find. Wish I could help but I have no knowledge of Kamaka history. How does it sound?
    cheers ... dennis

Antoniotsai Rose Tenor (Acacia Koa)
    Blackbird Clara (Concert - eKoa)
    Kanile'a Concert (Custom - Curly Tiger Mahogany)
    Kinnard Concert (Custom - Redwood/Cocobolo)
    Kinnard Tenor (Custom - Cedar/Walnut)
    Mako Tenor (Custom - Koa)
    Martin 1T IZ (Tenor - Mahogany)

Hey Chris. I don't have any info about your vintage Kamaka, but just wanted to say that it is nice to see you back here. It has been awhile.

Hi Chris, are you going to send it to Kamaka to be repaired? They might also know more about its worth.

Looks a lot like the one that popped up on ebay this AM.....pineapple decal on soundboard is missing. Same age, missing decal, etc. Nice case. MMStan will have some ideas on it.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
    Nice find. Wish I could help but I have no knowledge of Kamaka history. How does it sound?
    I'm not a soprano guy (fret spacing is too tight) but it sounds great! Intonation is good and it plays well.

Quote Originally Posted by dkcrown View Post
    Hey Chris. I don't have any info about your vintage Kamaka, but just wanted to say that it is nice to see you back here. It has been awhile.
    Thanks! I still don't get on UU as much as I used to. Family life often takes priority, plus my fiance and I are planning the wedding so that takes up a lot of my free time. Hoping to get back in the UU fold though...it's been too long!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Hi Chris, are you going to send it to Kamaka to be repaired? They might also know more about its worth.
    To be completely honest, hadn't really thought of sending it back to Kamaka. Was going to have my luthier take a look. Now leaning towards sending it to Kamaka though...might take longer but at least the experts will be fixing it up. Thanks for the suggestion!

I think Kamaka quotes about 1 year on restorations. I've seen a few they have done, and they came out looking like mint condition vintage ukes. All depends what level of restoration and how much you want to spend.

Thread Information