Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Music store etiquette

I would buy an 'ukulele from the local stores if they had any worth buying. It's just not an instrument they really focus on around here. I will always choose local over Internet if we're only talking a difference of $40 or so (which is about all the difference I find, if it's even that much).

That said, I hope (plan!) to visit the "local" store in Nashville, Indiana when I'm down there next month and come home with a new uke. I've already set aside the money and done a ton of research so I have every intention of helping the small business owner that runs Mainland Ukes.
    1980 Kamaka Soprano
    2013 Mainland Mahogany Glossy Tenor
    Mainland Gecko
    Ohana TK22 Spruce Top Tenor
    Mango Fluke Concert
    2014 Mainland Mahogany Glossy Concert

Having run brick and mortar music stores, online music stores, and exhibitions/fairs, I can say this;

If you're seriously considering an instrument, short of damaging the instrument, pretty much you're welcome to try it out, plug it in, get a new set of strings on it.

If you're just curious, most of us don't mind you trying it out for a couple of minutes if you take care of it.

If you're looking to jam, I'd say give it a little thought. Coming in with 5 band mates and jamming on 3 instruments in the middle of sat crowd rush ain't gonna win you any friends... on the other hand if you pop by chat with the owner during a quiet period and ask if it's cool, you may have a bit more joy.
    ukes for sale!
    G string concert
    Char Tenor
    Compass Rose tenor
    Kawika tenor

My old favorite mom&pop went under a couple years ago.

There's Old Town Music in Pasadena and it's walking distance from a place I frequent, so I stop in sometimes. They have a few low-end ukes on a rack and a couple nicer ones (I remember a Fluke) on the wall, but I don't think anyone who works there is really into them.

Last time there I bought a pair of shakers, and a folding music stand with a nice shoulder strap carry case for $10. I didn't really need one, but thought I could offer it at the next meetup (several people don't have stands) and take orders for my next trip if anyone wanted. (They had a huge stack of them.)

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I would buy an 'ukulele from the local stores if they had any worth buying. It's just not an instrument they really focus on around here. I will always choose local over Internet if we're only talking a difference of $40 or so (which is about all the difference I find, if it's even that much).

That said, I hope (plan!) to visit the "local" store in Nashville, Indiana when I'm down there next month and come home with a new uke. I've already set aside the money and done a ton of research so I have every intention of helping the small business owner that runs Mainland Ukes.
    You will like it!

Quote Originally Posted by dphansti View Post
    There are two local music shops that are great for ukuleles. I also like the people at both and would love to support them. That being said, I still see myself making all of my ukulele purchases online (probably used) to get the best deals.

Typically when I go into one of these stores I play the instruments for 20-30 minutes and then buy something small like a set of strings or a tuner. But I have all the strings I need. So now when i go into these stores (probably about once a month) I just look at the ukes rather than playing them.

Is it rude to go to music stores and play the instruments with no intention of buying? How long is a reasonable time to spend playing the instruments? How do music store owners feel about this? I realize there are no right answers I am just trying to get a feel for what the etiquette is as I really have no idea.

When i was after a martin soprano(which i didnt eventually buy) and sadly i sold (no i regret it soooooo much )
    i went to sam ash which had it and looked it a few times, and played some other ukes. Eventually i put it on layaway
    and would go in and play the thing until i had the full amount to take it home.

I don't think its bad to go to a store once a month and try things out, it may give you a sense
    of what you may want to buy brand wise in the future. Also its great to test out brands...even if
    you are going to order online you may go 'hey that cordoba concert uke at guitar center was great, ill check
    musicians friend now to order it".
    Current Ukes:
    Makala Shark Soprano (high g)
    Vorson Steel String Solid Body Electric Tenor (low g)

Electric Guitar/Electric Ukulele Based drone ambient music
    http://iamesper.bandcamp.com

Manalishi Guest

I agree with most of the replies on here about using common
    sense and showing a bit of restraint as to not 'showing off'
    and taking over the store!
    In a previous life I was a guitarist,and I had one musical friend
    who would think nothing of going into a store,playing a guitar
    for half an hour,then move onto another and do the same.
    I always found that a bit extravagant to be honest!
    Any stringed instrument I was considering, a few minutes told
    me how responsive it was,and what it sounded like.Which for
    me seemed perfectly fair,as a prospective (and usually certain)
    buyer!

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    Yes. This!!!

In an unrelated recent thread, another member advised me not to buy from my local shop because of their markup. I'm well aware of their markup - everything is always priced at full MSRP unless on sale, and the sale prices are usually comparable to the everyday online prices for Amazon/Musician's Friend - but generally if the local shop has what I want, I'll buy from them anyway. The shop has been there my whole lifetime (plus a couple more years!) and I'd like to see it stay that way, so even when I know I can get something elsewhere for less, I'd rather keep my dollars local. Not to mention that the shop will stand by the products they sell - I'm not sure that the Big Boxes would do the same.

haha...that was me!! You were talking about a used uke and I was giving you the used price benchmark and recommending not to use the MSRP from the store...different scenario. If buying new, that store is a good place to consider as they have the inventory and will give you 70% of your purchase price credit within 3 years in case you want another uke.

I've purchased 2 ukes from the same store but I don't play any ukes more than 5 mins if I don't plan on buying one. I've been offered to try out their Taylor uke which I refused since I knew I wasn't going to buy it.
    Last edited by Dan Uke; 12-20-2013 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamesperambient View Post
    I don't think its bad to go to a store once a month and try things out, it may give you a sense
    of what you may want to buy brand wise in the future. Also its great to test out brands...even if
    you are going to order online you may go 'hey that cordoba concert uke at guitar center was great, ill check
    musicians friend now to order it".
    Guitar Center & Musician's Friend is the same company. Checking out a new Martin (for example) at a Mom & Pops store knowing full well one will order it online to save 20 bucks is bad mojo in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Skinny Money McGee View Post
    Guitar Center & Musician's Friend is the same company. Checking out a new Martin (for example) at a Mom & Pops store knowing full well one will order it online to save 20 bucks is bad mojo in my opinion.
    I thought music 123 was musicians friend sister company too......
    Making music is a gift in itself, and when you can share it ....it is your gift to others

Quote Originally Posted by mm stan View Post
    I thought music 123 was musicians friend sister company too......
    Absolutely correct. Guitar Center's big box is bigger than most realize. Per Wikipedia:

"Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind, Music 123, and Harmony Central."

Thread Information