Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UAS Quest: Concert Pineapple

Lightbulb UAS Quest: Concert Pineapple

I thought that my concert Flea would satisfy my Pineapple cravings, but after 45 days, it still persists. Yes, I know I have a serious problem

I absolutely LOVE my concert Flea, the sound, the intonation, everything...

However, I am still haunted by cravings for a pineapple body with a concert neck. I have a soprano (Mahalo U-30) and while I can play it, I find the neck a bit cramped. Thus a minimum of concert scale.

Solid or laminate unimportant, specific wood selection unimportant (I have not played anything exotic yet, so my ears are not aware of other sounds from different woods than laminate mahogany), feel free to school me on this as needed...

New or used is not a big deal, as long as if used, it is not beat to hell and unplayable or needs significant repairs to be playable at all.

I will never pretend to be a luthier, but on my own instruments I have done nut and saddle work, fret dressing, and fixed tuners, but repairing cracks or resetting a neck is not something I have done as of yet, and I am not afraid of it, if the overall price of the instrument needing the work is low enough, and the repair is not extreme.

Also, I'd be open to the variations on the pineapple shape, like the boat-paddle shape, similar to the Bradford Donaldson designs...but the Ohana VitaUke looks odd to me and I am a bit put off by that 'pear' shape. I'd rather have something without an upper bout (and be more oval like the Flea, or triangular like the Fluke or boat-paddle shape) than with a tiny upper bout and really fat lower bout.

Dare I say it? The 'pear' ukulele body shape makes me think of 'twerking' which I find offensive.

The selection criteria really are:

1. Playability, i.e. intonation
    2. Sweet sound, i.e. not 'plinky', 'twangy' or too midrange-biased, should have some even tiny bit of 'guts' in the bass area (concert Flea sound as a reference is quite fine)
    3. Prefer geared tuning machines and NOT friction tuners
    4. Prefer that saddle is removable/replaceable and not molded as one single piece combined with bridge (like with the Flea)
    5. Slotted headstock is a plus (I like that look, seems more high-end to me)
    6. Budget, under $300 USD if possible

I really like the looks of the headstock on all the Luna ukuleles, they remind me of the Les Paul style headstock. If the Luna Pineapple was a concert neck and not a soprano neck, I would have already obtained one like yesterday...

I am on the fence about getting one with a preamp/pickup pre-installed, as I have put in several pickups myself and installing a Mi-Si is a piece of cake for me now after doing it twice, so this is not such a huge factor. Mainland has the Mi-Si for $125 and Kala (via their Amazon storefront) has them for $119 IIRC.

Over the past 3 months, I have looked high and low at WAY too many choices online, and am a bit overwhelmed right now.

So please, I am giving this over to the wisdom of those who have gone down this path before me, please share with me your journey, and your recommendations.

Thank you in advance for your time.

-Booli
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

I've been waiting on the new KPK solid acacia concert necked pineapple. It will likely be in the $200 price range, depending on trim.
    Soooooo many ukes, sooooooo little time

Soprano: Pre-war Martin "O"; 81-82 Kamaka White Label; Grizzly kit;
    Concert: Pono MCD-E; Kala Reso-burst; Rally banjo; Bruce Wei Acacia teardrop; KPK acacia Cutaway; Mele Solid Mahogany 6 string; Ohana CM35-8 Taropatch; Goldtone Metal Resouke;
    Epiphone LP vintage burst; Asmus solid maple/spruce; Alida Jazz electric
    Tenor: Risa semi-hollowbody electric (red one); Mele Koa; Kala solid mahogany A/E cutaway

Bass: Oscar Schmidt Curley Maple;

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUSAFRet View Post
    I've been waiting on the new KPK solid acacia concert necked pineapple. It will likely be in the $200 price range, depending on trim.
    Exactly what I would recommend. Can't imagine a better deal.

Phil & Connor,

Thanks for the suggestion. KPK is one maker that somehow I had overlooked.

I see their solid acacia pineapple soprano is quite shiny, but looks dark and rich and is priced near $150, and their other solid acacia ukes in concert size range in price from $185-240 (these are direct prices, not sure if they are sold elsewhere online yet)...

so this price range is actually quite a bit lower than what I had seen for solid wood ukes from other makers, and is a good choice so far, but since they do not have the pineapple concert you mentioned listed on the site yet, do you have any info about a release date or even a picture from somewhere that I can drool over?

Thanks,

-Booli

I would say Ohana concert pineapple but it does have friction tuners.

"It's not on a map, it's right on your lap" ~ Sailor Jim

UkeRepublic.com
    FaceBook Fan Page
    YouTube Channel

I got an Oscar Schmidt OU2-P a year or so ago on a whim, and was really quite surprised at how well it plays and sounds for a cheap uke. I think I got mine for about $70 with a gig bag.
    Bettah dan poi, Bettah dan pig, Wendel's laulaus frikin big!

+1 more for KPK. They are adding a concert neck pineapple early in 2014. Flea price point for a solid wood 'ukulele with excellent reputation for quality & playability.
    Rule Three: Anger is easy. Love is hard.
    Rule 23: All Whining Must Be Done In Private.
    Rule 30: If you’re gonna be stupid, you better be strong.

Dig In-finity! - The Naz, in the words of Lord Buckley

14:29044

Quote Originally Posted by kenikas View Post
    I got an Oscar Schmidt OU2-P a year or so ago on a whim, and was really quite surprised at how well it plays and sounds for a cheap uke. I think I got mine for about $70 with a gig bag.
    Thanks for reminding me of this one.

I had been looking at the OU2-P as the price is almost too good to be true (seems to low) for something of quality, but I have been lucky so far with the lower-priced ukes I've bought previously.

There are two things about Oscar Schmidt in general that puts me off:

1. The logo on the headstock seems awfully garish to my eyes. Maybe they could tone it down somehow. For, the price, this is easy to live with.

2. The neck joint and neck profile seem overly stout, like it would feel chunky in the hands. (Sadly I never played one in person, so this is ignorantly based only upon pictures online)

How is the neck?

I'd be really grateful if you could post some close-up pictures of the headstock/nut area, side/back of the neck, and also the bridge/saddle...

How is the sound?

There are ZERO videos of this uke on Youtube, which makes me think it does not sell well for some reason, and for that reason, (which I do not know) maybe it should be avoided?

-Booli

Unfortunately, there seems to be no photo but:

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pro...5&categoryId=3
    Kala KA-ACP-CTG. Had the tenor version. Decided tenor's not for me. Got the concert.
    Mainland Classic Concert Solid mahogany, no bling, beautiful.
    Bonanza Concert Oreo Slimline black walnut and cherry CNC marvel.
    Ohana SK-39 Great little Martin wannabe.
    Mahalo Smiley Face. Cute little bugger and Jake signed it!
    Kala KA-15S. Good starter.

Quote Originally Posted by ukemunga View Post
    Unfortunately, there seems to be no photo but:

http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pro...5&categoryId=3
    Thanks ukemunga, this one is a great suggestion, and by the description seems to fit all my criteria. I wish they had a photo.

I will email them and see if they have a photo, and if so, I will post it here as well.

Does anybody have one of these that they can show in a few photos, and/or video with sound clips?

Thanks in advance...

Thread Information