PC Games on Windows 8

Recently got a new computer with Windows 8. Most of my old games will no longer work. Some were working ok, but stopped working when I downloaded 8.1 upgrade. Any other's with problems?

Ooooooh I feel your pain.

Win 8/8.1 are meant to be a clean break from the past. No more WinXP Win98, 3.1, DOS 3.3 programs. This may yet turn out to be a good thing.

In the meantime, see if your license terms includes the downgrade to Win7. If it doesn't, try to find a vendor who can sell you a legal copy, think hen's teeth. **For those of you yet to buy new hardware, buy it with Win7, Dell for Business/DellOutlet still sells them.**

Win7 will let you successfully run your programs as if they were installed on any of the previous Win versions, as a menu selection. Win 8/.1 will depending on the vendor, sometimes. To find out, right click on the program icon, the popup menu should have a **run as** menu selection. Delve into it.

As an unwilling sysadmin I integrate everything from DOS 3.3 to all Macs and Win3.1 to Win7 to the multifarious versions of Linux and FreeBSD. I tell all who will listen (the smart ones) to defer on the 8 versions. And for those of you who have grown comfortable with networked WinXP stations, Win7 is a giant step down in network reliability.

Tapped on the shoulder, try Classic Shell. http://www.classicshell.net/ Hey, it could work.

Last edited:
Is there a compatibility mode in Win 8.1? I still run Win 7 which has a compatibility mode for XP games. Doesn't always work, but it has save a few titles.

Top Bottom