Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New (Vintage) Uke Day

RyanMFT Guest

Default New (Vintage) Uke Day

Lucky to have found a Rutan ukulele, made in Kansas City...a seldom seen vintage brand.

I was turned on to it by a friend, fellow collector, and UU member who truly embodies the aloha spirit.

Solid mahogany, white/black/white binding around soundboard, white binding on the back. Binding continues up the sides of the fret board, with a white/black/white matching nut. Similar in many ways to a Martin style 2. Plays beautifully, and I feel very lucky to have it.

[URL=http://s827.photobucket.com/user/RyanMFT_photos/media/Rutan%20Ukulele/e0a45225f9329298fe7653a0af7c655e_zps56c4b0e5.jpg.h tml][/URL
    Last edited by RyanMFT; 12-29-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Hippie Dribble Guest

Gee Ryan, that is gorgeous. Congratulations mate. Man you have some vintage sweethearts in your collection. Just beautiful.

Wow, that's a sweetie. Congrats

Very nice, enjoy! Can you tell us more about it?
    Last edited by HBolte; 12-28-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be... - John Lennon

I haven't yet been afflicted by vintage UAS, but I think this one is very nice and I like the fact that it is a rather obscure. Congrats!
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

Fantastic!
    20's to 30's Harmony Soprano. Collings MT2 Mandolin.
    Other toys require tools!

Congratulations, that is a beauty!

Mitch

RyanMFT Guest

Thank you all for your comments.

Jon - thanks, this uke looks awfully good next to the custom Regal you sold to Tom, which I talked him out of!

Hbolte - not much info out there about John Rutan as a builder. Looks like he started in the mid 20's and there are rumors that his factory burned down by 1940 but I don't find any articles about that. Build is similar to Martin, but the width at the nut is closer to my Gibson. Neck is thin and fast. It is clearly built by experienced hands.

Eddie - Thanks, I have a thing for the more obscure, less celebrated builders/brands!

That looks like a really nice uke. Very similar to a Style 2 Martin. How does it sound?
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1. Those who need closure.

ca. 1923-'27 Martin Style 3M, ca. 1927-'28 Martin Style 2M, 1950s Martin Style 1M, ca. 1930 Gibson Uke 3, Kiwaya KTS-7, Mainland Gloss Mahogany Soprano, Mainland Red Cedar Pineapple Soprano, Mainland Maple Soprano Banjo Uke, Flea Soprano, Maccaferri Islander Soprano and Baritone, et al...
    My paltry Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/ukecycle

Very nice! Condition looks to be spectacular. Great find.
    cheers ... dennis

Antoniotsai Rose Tenor (Acacia Koa)
    Blackbird Clara (Concert - eKoa)
    Kanile'a Concert (Custom - Curly Tiger Mahogany)
    Kinnard Concert (Custom - Redwood/Cocobolo)
    Kinnard Tenor (Custom - Cedar/Walnut)
    Mako Tenor (Custom - Koa)
    Martin 1T IZ (Tenor - Mahogany)

Thread Information