Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baritone Ukulele String - Non Wrapped

Maysville, Kentucky "on the banks of the Ohio"

Default Baritone Ukulele String - Non Wrapped

I have been quite disappointed with all the wrapped strings I have tried on my Ohana Baritone, Aquilas and Martin 630's to mention a couple. The wrapped strings sound good after they are broken in, but by this time, they have already started to fray. Seems like everytime I break a string, it's in the middle of a gig or jam, therefore, I'm pretty much done. It's not a quick fix to change a string during a gig and then get the string stretched enough to stay in tune. Most sets on the market have the low D and the G as wrapped strings. I'm looking for a set that has no wrapped strings. Looking at Worths or Living Water or something similar. Any of you baritone pickers got any suggestions?

Wooville
    Nelson Hopwood
    bassman on the banks of the ohio
    http://wooville.0catch.com

Lanikai LCD-C Designer Series Concert, Mainland Red Cedar Tenor, Kala Chocolate Dolphin, Ohana BK-20 Baritone, and vintage 50's model Harmony Baritone and Ohana BK-70R Baritone.

I have tried the Worth Browns on two baritones. I liked them a lot on the Lanakai, not as much on the Kamaka (but it is growing on me). We recently had this thread http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/...amaka-Baritone

I've tried unwound baritone strings and they sound very "snappy" to my ear - and I don't mean that in a good way.

I've been using some flat wound classical guitar strings on my linear baritone (the other one is strung reentrant and uses no wound strings). The strings are the Thomastik-Infeld "CF" series Chromium Steel flatwound strings for classical guitars. You can order individual strings from JustStrings.com.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    I've tried unwound baritone strings and they sound very "snappy" to my ear - and I don't mean that in a good way.

I've been using some flat wound classical guitar strings on my linear baritone (the other one is strung reentrant and uses no wound strings). The strings are the Thomastik-Infeld "CF" series Chromium Steel flatwound strings for classical guitars. You can order individual strings from JustStrings.com.

John
    ditto the flat wound polished sound great, feel like and unwound and wear much better than regular wound.
    Keep Strummin'

I really like the Living Water bari strings
    Ukelele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    KPK pineapple SLN-GCEA
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG-C Lava
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, TI CF127, G
    Kala KA-GL-Koa, G EFS O Warm/Worth B

Jim's Blog

Living Waters are good. Ken will make them either re-entrant or low D if you ask him.
    Worth Browns are nice too but the low D is too floppy. Better to get single low D's to mix and match (like recommended above). But that gets to bet a lot of work
    "If a lot of people play the ukulele, the world would be a better place to live."

Living Water strings for me. Ive a set running on my Pono and am real happy with them.
    Cheers
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post

John
    Are you using two flatwound or just the one? I switched my new bari back to Living Water after experimenting with some SouthCoast heavy strings, and I'm kind of missing the clear low-d sound. The main problem with the SouthCoast strings was the horrible finger squeak on the third string, so I'm thinking of maybe just using the wound 4th. Also, what are you using for the treble strings?
    Playlists: Me and My Ukulele | Chordious 2 Tutorials
    Primary Ukes: Black Bear #146 Baritone DGBd | KoAloha KCM-00 Concert gcea | Kamaka HP-1 Pineapple Soprano gcea
    Others: Lanikai LU-11 Soprano | Kamaka White-Label HF-1 Soprano | Kala KA-BE Baritone | Taylor GS Mini-e Koa Guitar
    For Sale: Kamaka HF-38 Liliu VIII | KoAloha KTM-06 Imaikalani

hmm, doesn't Aquila make a non-wound baritone set using their "red" strings?

Quote Originally Posted by JonThysell View Post
    Are you using two flatwound or just the one? I switched my new bari back to Living Water after experimenting with some SouthCoast heavy strings, and I'm kind of missing the clear low-d sound. The main problem with the SouthCoast strings was the horrible finger squeak on the third string, so I'm thinking of maybe just using the wound 4th. Also, what are you using for the treble strings?
    I've tried both ways. With just the one wound string you do have to be very careful when doing finger rolls to match the volume across all four strings - with both the D and G strings being wound that is less of an issue. Either way sounds fine strummed. Since I do a lot of finger rolls I currently have it strung with the CF strings on both the D and G.

For the treble strings I am using some fluorocarbon fishing leader. Here are my baritone "formulas" for linear and reentrant DGBE tunings:

Linear:
    D CF35 (Thomastic-Infeld "A" .035" chromium flat wound)
    G CF30 (Thomastic-Infeld "D" .030" chromium flat wound)
    B FC90 (Seaguar "Blue Label" 90lb fluorocarbon leader - .0358")
    E FC80 (Seaguar "Blue Label" 80lb fluorocarbon leader - .0319")

Reentrant:
    D FC80 (Seaguar "Blue Label" 80lb fluorocarbon leader - .0319")
    D FP130 (Seaguar "Premium" 130lb fluorocarbon leader - .0410")
    B FC90 (Seaguar "Blue Label" 90lb fluorocarbon leader - .0358")
    E FC80 (Seaguar "Blue Label" 80lb fluorocarbon leader - .0319")

These sets work well on both my Mainland (short 19.5" scale) and Pono baritones.

Here is the reentrant set on the Mainland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqOea8cinmI

I thought I had a recording with the linear set on the baritone but it turns out not - both of my Pono videos were made right after I got it and with the original strings.

John
    Last edited by OldePhart; 01-05-2014 at 10:09 AM.
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Thread Information