Season 99 - Selling Out.

GaryC1968

Reaction score
Happy New Year Seasonistas! I am very excited and a little nervous to be hosting my first season. As we ring in the new year, I think we should sell out.

That’s why this week’s theme is “Selling Out”.

This would include songs with product names or company names in the title or lyrics. A few examples of songs with products or company names in the title would be “My Adidas” by Run DMC, “Rum and Coca Cola” by the Andrews Sisters. A song like “Cheeseburger in Paradise” wouldn’t qualify, but if the lyrics were changed to something like “Quarter Pounder in Paradise” or “Double Whopper in Paradise”, then that would be acceptable.

I’ve included a link to a page that has some songs with products in the lyrics to help get you started.
http://www.amiright.com/real/productartist/
Here is another link, compliments of KoaDependent
http://songswithabrand.name/archive

A second category for this season is “Jingles, Commercials, etc.”. These can be existing jingles or ones you make up on your own. These should be short videos, maybe 60 seconds or shorter.

Rules:

1. Mention somewhere in the video that this is for Season 99 of the Ukulele.
2. Please submit no more than 2 videos total. They can both be in the same category or one in each. All other videos can go to the “Island of Misfit Seasonistas”.
3. Ukulele must be the main instrument.
4. Multi-tracking is fine.
5. Bonus points for product placement in the video.
6. Please do not post any videos until after midnight Sunday Hawaii time.

Prizes:
Everyone who submits a video for this season will receive a pack of Silly Supermarket Stickers and Wacky Packages Old School stickers. Just send me a PM with your name and address.
I will choose one video as the “Biggest Sellout” and come up with a special prize to send them.

Now get out there and sell, sell, sell…SELLOUT! :D

Selling Out Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=edit_ok&list=PLWwJLxxcjJ1qEieXSyqJ0FtCGNN_nkF5b

Last edited:
Hey! You're saying I should pay attention to the ads on telly? I usually switch off (me, not the telly, that is) when they're on - well not quite as some are very clever.

Apple Monopoly

Apple sue Samsung for infringement of Copyright and the AMERICAN courts
award 1 billions smackers for Samsung having a phone with rounded corners.

A spokesman from Samsung said.
"unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly
over rectangles with rounded corners".

and I thought it was a great line for a song, which I just made up on the spur of the moment.
Now here is the thing I don't understand, the article on the BBC concluded with the statement.

"Apple remains one of the South Korean company's biggest customers,
buying computer chips and, reportedly, screens".

Last edited:
Having a really lousy year so far so this song suits my mood pretty well.
Never heard of the song or artist before tonight but really liked it on first listening.
Studio version here.
Live version here.
And pa's version here -

Busting Up A Starbucks by Mike Doughty

I'm a big Mike Doughty fan—have been since the first Soul Coughing album. Well done with this!

This would include songs with product names or company names in the title or lyrics. A few examples of songs with products or company names in the title would be “My Adidas” by Run DMC, “Rum and Coca Cola” by the Andrews Sisters. A song like “Cheeseburger in Paradise” wouldn’t qualify, but if the lyrics were changed to something like “Quarter Pounder in Paradise” or “Double Whopper in Paradise”, then that would be acceptable.
<snip>

Does the mention have to be in the context of a product ie could I do 'Old MacDonalds farm' and 'claim' it as the company name for the burger joint?

As this was the only U2 song on the list Gary linked to, I had to do it of course ;). This is Playboy Mansion of, of the Pop album. I've added some images to the video with the knowledge I gained last season. I have been playing with Jamup Pro XT (an iOS app) this past week, so my Epiphone is routed through my iPod with Jamup running, into my Mac with Garageband for the recording of Vocals and Uke. I later added the video track to that and then did some editing with iMovie.

Never heard of the song or artist before tonight but really liked it on first listening.
Studio version here.
Live version here.
And pa's version here -

Excellent!
I've been trying to figure that song out myself but just can't find all the chords. Any way you could post or PM the chords for me?

Would we get extra points for mentioning the Season number in the song?

"99 bottles of Pabst on the wall, 99 bottles of Pabst..."

Apple sue Samsung for infringement of Copyright and the AMERICAN courts
award 1 billions smackers for Samsung having a phone with rounded corners.

A spokesman from Samsung said.
"unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly
over rectangles with rounded corners".

and I thought it was a great line for a song, which I just made up on the spur of the moment.
Now here is the thing I don't understand, the article on the BBC concluded with the statement.

"Apple remains one of the South Korean company's biggest customers,
buying computer chips and, reportedly, screens".

What an AWESOME way to kick off the season! Very catchy and so true. I remember when Apple was the little guy fighting big, bad IBM. :)

Hey! You're saying I should pay attention to the ads on telly? I usually switch off (me, not the telly, that is) when they're on - well not quite as some are very clever.

Actually, sometimes the ads are better than the shows. I especially like the AT&T commercials with the kids sitting around the table.

And pa's version here -

That was great, I really enjoyed it! I have to admit I've never heard of Mike Doughty, but I will definitely check out some of his stuff.

I hope your year gets better from here on out.

Does the mention have to be in the context of a product ie could I do 'Old MacDonalds farm' and 'claim' it as the company name for the burger joint?

I would have to say no. But, if you changed up the lyrics to something like, "Old McDonald had a store, e-i-e-i-o. And in that store he sold Big Macs, e-i-e-i-o. With a heart valve here and a heart valve there...". That would not only work, it would be totally awesome (I want my MTV reference).

As this was the only U2 song on the list Gary linked to, I had to do it of course ;). This is Playboy Mansion of, of the Pop album. I've added some images to the video with the knowledge I gained last season. I have been playing with Jamup Pro XT (an iOS app) this past week, so my Epiphone is routed through my iPod with Jamup running, into my Mac with Garageband for the recording of Vocals and Uke. I later added the video track to that and then did some editing with iMovie.

How did I know you would do a U2 cover (even if it weren't in the link, I'm sure you would have found it). Great job integrating the slide show into the video! I really like the effect on the uke, as well.

Would we get extra points for mentioning the Season number in the song?

"99 bottles of Pabst on the wall, 99 bottles of Pabst..."

I would say that mentioning the season number in the song would definitely get extra bonus points. I'll have to figure out if 50 or 75 points would be more appropriate. ;)

Top Bottom