FS: 1970 Kamaka Pineapple Ukulele HP-1 Time Capsule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtradust

Reaction score
SOLD: 1975 Kamaka Pineapple Ukulele HP-1 Time Capsule

My Uncle bought this uke in Honolulu new in 1975. It's a "white label". He never learned to play and only had it out of the case a couple times. It's sat in it's hard case, in the dark of his closet for 34 years! It's in brand new condition. It still has the original tag hanging from it. It's hard to get a new Kamaka Pineapple, they make so few. This one is new and over 40yo! Looking for $700...obo.
IMG_1409.jpgIMG_1408.jpgIMG_1413.jpgIMG_1414.jpgIMG_1411.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! What a beauty! I bet this goes fast to one of the uke collectors out there!

Hate to ruin your sale but,
Pineapple kamaka white labels were under a couple hundred bucks if that(tourist prices) ....I had a six string kamaka tenor new for 80 something bucks in the mid 70's... he got ripped off if he paid that

Last edited:
I paid $1,100 for my first CAR in 1972 and it was only 3 years old, so like Stan noted it was probably more like $90. I think I was also making maybe $2.25 an hour. Currently pineapples are new on the Kamaka website for $995 and if I want a used 3 year old equivalent car it's going to run me about $12K.

This uke is a beauty though! These were going as high as $6-700 awhile back on eBay so you are in the ballpark for one so clean.

That is so true! It doesn't ruin the sale. We're glad to get the info. What was $900 worth in 1970? I found this online... "The average annual salary in 1970 was $7,564. That is about 20% of the current annual salary. $1,100 would've been about $10,000." So that would have been one expensive uke! Lol. We do know he brought it back in 1970. I'm sorry to see that it doesn't have a serial number on the label.

Where are you located? I might consider it if I could see it in person and play it. Please let me know with a reply to this thread.

And welcome to UU! Always nice to have a new ukulele enthusiast.

Hate to ruin your sale but,
Pineapple kamaka white labels were under a couple hundred bucks if that(tourist prices) ....I had a six string kamaka tenor new for 80 something bucks in the mid 70's... he got ripped off if he paid that

Hey Stan my cousin says he got a Kamaka Pineapple in 1972 for graduation present and it was under $100.00....but it is worth at least $800.00 now if perfect condition right?

btw Stan...how can you date the old Kamaka's...the tuners and saddle/nut?

Last edited:
White labels usually have Schallers and ebony nut and saddle. Gold labels had just white or black button friction tuners..? But also ebony nut and saddle I believe, Stan??? :) And how did you know I had a '72 Datsun pickup? $1400 for that & it was my second car, kept that for 27 years.

And yes it is a honey of a pineapple and welcome! Tell Uncle you want to learn to play it!

Aloha xtradust,
Your kamaka pineapple is circa 1976-1980 retailed for about 65 -75 bucks....hope it helps...

Yes by the black plastic nut and saddle and tuners is how I date this one....

Thanks for all the posts you guys! My uncle's in assisted living now. There's not much I can get out of him about the uke. Except, "Nine hundred dollars!" Lol. Most of the info is from my aunt. I'm in the city of Villa Park, in Southern California. I play fairly well, but I'm a college student and it's more of a luxury than I can afford. My aunt doesn't play and she could really use the funds. So I told her I'd accept offers.

Aloha xtradust,
Your kamaka pineapple is circa 1976-1980 retailed for about 65 -75 bucks....hope it helps...

Yes by the black plastic nut and saddle and tuners is how I date this one....

Thanks Stan...that is what I thought...my Aunties Soprano has those same tuners and nut/saddle...hers is about 1980 and almost in perfect condition...she got it for about $75.00...but it is now worth around $400.00 like you said...

Here's the specs...

Top: Hawaiian Koa
Back and Sides: Hawaiian Koa
Finish: Lacquer
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard and Bridge: Rosewood
Overall length: 20-1/8"
Scale length: 13-9/16"
Total # frets: 16
Frets to the body: 12

As far as the sound sample, I haven't really taken it out of the case. But I guess I could plunk around on it if someone needed me to. :)

Here's the specs...

Total # frets: 16

As far as the sound sample, I haven't really taken it out of the case. But I guess I could plunk around on it if someone needed me to. :)

If I'm not mistaken, those look to be the specs for Kamaka's current HP-1 model, which has 16 frets. Judging from the pictures, your pineapple only has 12 frets (as was typical of the older ones).

I'm sorry about that. I took it out of the case and measured. All the info below is now correct. There are only 12 frets.

Total # frets: 12

I just tuned it and played a couple tunes. And...I'm definitely not the person who should be playing this uke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom