Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluorocarbon String Conspiracy?

Exclamation Fluorocarbon String Conspiracy?

Before I begin, let me say that I have yet to actually try fluorocarbon fishing line on an ukulele; this is merely speculation. This is a roughly estimated word problem. Now we just need a guinea pig to actually try the Seaguars!

You have 3 ukuleles:
    1 tenor (traditional)
    1 tenor (low G)
    1 soprano (traditional)

Seaguar FC leaders
    Code:
    100yd 80lb $90
    "     60    75
    "     50    62
    "     40    53
    "     30    40
    "     25    33

diameter
    80lb .810mm/.032" - tenor low G
    60   .740mm/.029" - tenor C
    50   .660mm/.026" - tenor E, soprano/concert C
    40   .620mm/.024" - tenor g, soprano/concert E
    30   .520mm/.020" - tenor A, soprano/concert g
    25   .435mm/.017" - soprano/concert A
    You change all four (4) strings on each ukulele every two (2) months. You have 100 yards for each string per ukelele and use four (4) yards (1 yard per string) every string change. Calculate the total costs of the strings and how long until you run out of string.

4 yards per ukulele x 6 times per year = 24 yards per ukulele per year

400 yards per ukulele / 24 yards per ukulele per year = 16 years and 8 months

Code:
    Tenor =       $230 for 400 yards = 16 years and 8 months
    Tenor low G =  280     "           "
    Soprano =      188     "           "
    Total =       $698 for 1200 yards lasting 16 years and 8 months

You use 4 yards every string change every two (2) months with $9, $8, and $7 string sets for 16 years and 8 months. How much will you spend on string sets for each price?

6 sets a year x $9 per set = $54 per year
    $54 x 16 years + ($9 x 4) = $900 for 16 years and 8 months per ukulele

6 sets a year x $8 per set = $48 per year
    $48 x 16 years + ($8 x 4) = $800

6 sets a year x $7 per set = $42 per year
    $42 x 16 years + ($7 x 4) = $700

Conclusion: If you like the sound of Seaguars, you can have save HUNDREDS. Personal results vary depending on how often you change strings on ukuleles. Many can use less than a yard per string, so, technically, these can last for $20+ years if you don't change them regularly. No matter how often you change strings, the savings are MONUMENTAL!

If you buy $9 ORCAS strings for three (3) ukuleles every two (2) months for 16 years and 8 months, you'd spend $2700 total!
    $8 Blackline or Worth strings ($16 for 2 sets)? $2400
    $7 Fremont strings? $2100
    400 yards per tenor low G ukulele for 3 ukuleles? $840
    400 yards per soprano/concert for 3 ukuleles? $564

You can save anywhere from $1260 to $2136 by purchasing Seaguars in 100yd bulk for any three (3) ukulele combination of tenor, tenor (low G), soprano, or concert over a span greater than or equal to 16 years and 8 months!
    Last edited by SuperSecretBETA; 01-30-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: title typo

Successful sellers: Nuprin (Mele Tenor Koa/Mahogany Electric on 11/2009)
    Successful buyers: Tomdini (Pono Tenor Mango Cutaway Electric on 10/2009)

ROFL, it is a conspiracy. I cant tell the difference between segaur fishing line I nicked from my Dad's tackle box and Freemont Blacks. I thought my friend was pulling my leg but he was dead on serious that who he works for also sells it to a music company (not Freemont, but a well regarded company who sells strings) and they package it as strings.

Just think of the possibilities.. Introducing the Ronco pocket fishuke! That's right folks for those times when stranded on a desert island your convenient folding pocket uke can provide hours of entertainment and sustenance! The die-cast tuning pegs can reel in thousands of fish and never need to be replaced! Made of high quality space age polymers the pocket fishuke will never warp due to high humidity, it's convenient size fits in any large pocket, and we supply a lifetime of strings! (All you do is pay $9.99 for shipping and handling) It's indestructable, it's fun, and best of all it can fish!

lol...what? so fluorocarbon string is just a fancy term for fishing line? with all your maths you have come up with the idea that if you bought diffrent lines of fishing string (to their respective sizes) then you could save hundreds of dollars? intresting...

i would need to hear two equal ukuleles with equal strings and everything. It would be nice if i could most ofmy life with out buying string. considering im am horrible about changeing string, i could most likely streach out that 20 years to 25-30...

I'm an avid fisherman and have a bunch of fluorocarbon line in my tackle. Now you got me thinking if the fishing line manufacturers are making the line under the same tolerances as some of the string manufacturers. Aside from Seaguars, there is Yozuri, J-line, Berkley, Relix who all make fluorocarbon line. Perhaps I can do a fishing line comparison in rentrant tuning.
    Last edited by uluapoundr; 01-30-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    "Fish Prints With Aloha"http://www.takeogyotaku.com
    Low G or High G? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWC4VFON998
    Moore Bettah Tenor Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFkOapP6FzM
    Savarez Alliance string review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzcyJmnetvg

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSecretBETA View Post
    If you buy $9 ORCAS strings for three (3) ukuleles every two (2) months for 16 years and 8 months, you'd spend $2700 total!
    $8 Blackline or Worth strings ($16 for 2 sets)? $2400
    $7 Fremont strings? $2100
    400 yards per tenor low G ukulele for 3 ukuleles? $840
    400 yards per soprano/concert for 3 ukuleles? $564

You can save anywhere from $1260 to $2136 by purchasing Seaguars in 100yd bulk for any three (3) ukulele combination of tenor, tenor (low G), soprano, or concert over a span greater than or equal to 16 years and 8 months!
    An enterprising person could also put together their own sets using Seaguars, sell them for $5 apiece, and make 100% profit on a $560-$840 investment while still saving their customers $2-4 a set.
    “Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” -Berthold Auerbach

Kanile`a Custom T Walnut Tenor "Luana"
    DeVine Maple Concert "Momi"
    Flea Custom Sinker Redwood Concert "Nahele"
    Kanile`a Custom Koa Concert "Joy" (just visiting)

To add, you're saving between 60% and 76% on fluorocarbon strings depending on which brand you choose and what kind of ukuleles you own.--even more if you can squeeze more sets out of a 100yd spool by using less than a yard per string.

Successful sellers: Nuprin (Mele Tenor Koa/Mahogany Electric on 11/2009)
    Successful buyers: Tomdini (Pono Tenor Mango Cutaway Electric on 10/2009)

The guitar guys have been discussing this for years. Seems like there is some validity in that line such as Seaguar is made by a subsidiary that makes guitar strings, go figure. http://www.guitar-vacation-retreats....n_strings.html

I'm heading to the fishing store.
    "Fish Prints With Aloha"http://www.takeogyotaku.com
    Low G or High G? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWC4VFON998
    Moore Bettah Tenor Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFkOapP6FzM
    Savarez Alliance string review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzcyJmnetvg

Heck just drop them in a pot of bioling water and add some rite dye and you could have any color string in the rainbow.

San Jose, California via `Ewa Beach, O`ahu, Hawai`i

i have a cheap ukulele that i've been meaning to mod -- new nut and saddle, etc. and i have loads of fluoro around the house. i wonder if there is a place where they have the diameters listed and we could closely match up the strings? hahaha funny thing is if you go up to a fisherman and call his line "strings" he'd give you an evil smirk.
    200 years of Unification. 117 years of ILLEGAL OCCUPATION.

Quote Originally Posted by uluapoundr View Post
    I'm an avid fisherman and have a bunch of fluorocarbon line in my tackle. Now you got me thinking if the fishing line manufacturers are making the line under the same tolerances as some of the string manufacturers. Aside from Seaguars, there is Yozuri, J-line, Berkley, Relix who all make fluorocarbon line. Perhaps I can do a fishing line comparison in rentrant tuning.
    could you please? i would

Thread Information