Fluorocarbon String Conspiracy?

Thanks. Must be some brand name...

I now can stop thinking you guys found an alternate use for those fat tobacco rolls from Cuba!

... blending fluorocarbon and other materials to get the right tension and feel of each set.
Hmmm. Interesting. What other sorts of materials do you use? And if it's good enough for a uke, wouldn't it work equally well on a fishing reel?

You cheap SOB's can string your uke's with fishing line.....I, on the other hand will be stringing my fishing reel with martins :)

Somebody round here likes the math stuff.

If you are catching fish with Martin strings, they must be nibbling right up to the boat.

I don't know why it has to be flouro, most strings out there in the tension you need are co-polymer. The fishing store near me has lots of flouro but only in light weights. I use two types of co-polymer and like the sound better than flourocarbon anyway. Mellower and more traditional. They sound like nylon but maintain their tone and intonation all the way up the neck.The diameters are not quite perfect but hey they stretch out and even out. Musically they are fine, intonation is good once stretched out and tone is great. I've tried all the commercial string brands and most are too harsh - co-polymers are mellow and sweet.

Oh, and the prices for Seagur seem excessive. I was looking at the $100.00 bulk spools and the yardage was between 3,000 and 1,700 yards depending on gauge. At the fishing store they cut me 100 yards for six bucks.

As far as having free strings forever, a) you should live so long, and b) the stuff does get old just sitting there. Better to get your uke club to collaborate on some spools and use it up.

I bought a couple of $7.99 ukuleles which had I assume was fishing line for strings.
I changed the strings to ukulele strings ( I used old Martin nylon strings ) and it made a big difference in the sound. What about Aquila's , arent those made just for musical instruments ?

There's a comment that other materials are added to strings during production, but I don't know what that might be or what sort of effect it would have on how the string performs. The amount of energy the string retains versus how much it transmits is key, but what materials will create an optimum mix with flurocarbon?

Strings are only one part of the equation - the sadde, top construction and material, size, body design, sound hole size, bridge size and material, and finish all play a part. And then it all depends on what sound you want or expect to get.

And then there's the question of wound strings, which impart a different sound again.

Went to a local hardware shop that also sells fishing gear to look for line today. Nada I could use. No Seguars at all, but a few other brands. Saw a couple of 40-lb test, and one 50 but nothing stronger. Most everything was 20 or under, and a lot at 10 lb or less. I guess when you live beside fresh water, and the majority of fish are trout, bass and a few pickerel, you don't get a lot of demand for 60-80lb test line. Have to look into ordering online instead.

Went to a local hardware shop that also sells fishing gear to look for line today. Nada I could use. No Seguars at all, but a few other brands. Saw a couple of 40-lb test, and one 50 but nothing stronger. Most everything was 20 or under, and a lot at 10 lb or less. I guess when you live beside fresh water, and the majority of fish are trout, bass and a few pickerel, you don't get a lot of demand for 60-80lb test line. Have to look into ordering online instead.

Are you going to do something review-related with this on your site? Would love to find out.

I say in jest, you must have a lot of time to think! I got lost somewhere in the middle!:confused:

I use quite a bit of Seaguar leaders. Enough that the size I use the most (it's an e string on some ukes, c on others, so it gets used a lot) is almost empty (25M spool) in about three years. A lot of that is because I experiment a lot, though, and it's cheap to do so when you buy string by the 25M spool.

However, fluorocarbon strings are very durable so I think the original poster's "every two months" is probably a bit excessive. Even on ukuleles that I play a lot fluorocarbon strings will go six months without any problem.

Fishing leaders aren't for every uke. I've got some bright ukes that sound better with Ko'Olau Gold or Mahana strings. My KoAloha sounds better with Seaguar "CM" leaders but intonates better up the neck with Ko'Olau Alohi strings. Of my current crop of nine ukuleles six have some combination of Seaguar leaders and the others Gold, Mahana, and Alohi (one each).

Seaguar leaders in the same gages as a Worth "CH" (hard) set are wonderful on most ukes. The KoAloha didn't like them, and they were too bright on my mango ukes, but I've got them on everything else from soprano to tenor. They sound great, feel good, and intonate very nicely up the neck.

John

I see another company Stren with fluorocarbon string in smaller spools that are only about 4 to $8 each.
They have 7 different gauges of strings. At those prices, it would be easy to have it be super economically feasible,
without worrying about aging spools.

Top Bottom