Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fluorocarbon String Conspiracy?

There's a comment that other materials are added to strings during production, but I don't know what that might be or what sort of effect it would have on how the string performs. The amount of energy the string retains versus how much it transmits is key, but what materials will create an optimum mix with flurocarbon?

Strings are only one part of the equation - the sadde, top construction and material, size, body design, sound hole size, bridge size and material, and finish all play a part. And then it all depends on what sound you want or expect to get.

And then there's the question of wound strings, which impart a different sound again.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

i wonder if there is a place where they have the diameters listed and we could closely match up the strings?

Worth data:
    Attachment 17980

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrate View Post
    i wonder if there is a place where they have the diameters listed and we could closely match up the strings?
    See post #28 in this thread http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...g-recipe/page3 for more information than you probably wanted to know.

BTW, short version, the data at the Seaguar web site lines up poifectly with the Worth data...for what it's worth. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

John

Went to a local hardware shop that also sells fishing gear to look for line today. Nada I could use. No Seguars at all, but a few other brands. Saw a couple of 40-lb test, and one 50 but nothing stronger. Most everything was 20 or under, and a lot at 10 lb or less. I guess when you live beside fresh water, and the majority of fish are trout, bass and a few pickerel, you don't get a lot of demand for 60-80lb test line. Have to look into ordering online instead.
    Ian
    -------------------------------------------
    “Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum, et tertium non datur. To err is human; to persevere in error is diabolical; there is no third option.”
    Seneca the Younger
    Ukulele reviews * Vintage Uke Music * Tequila * Henry Hudson * Harmonica reviews * Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ichadwick View Post
    Went to a local hardware shop that also sells fishing gear to look for line today. Nada I could use. No Seguars at all, but a few other brands. Saw a couple of 40-lb test, and one 50 but nothing stronger. Most everything was 20 or under, and a lot at 10 lb or less. I guess when you live beside fresh water, and the majority of fish are trout, bass and a few pickerel, you don't get a lot of demand for 60-80lb test line. Have to look into ordering online instead.
    Are you going to do something review-related with this on your site? Would love to find out.
    My YouTube Channel
    Ukulele + Guilele Fretboard Note Chart!
    Ohana TK-35G - "Lamia" - Fremont Blacklines
    Kala Acacia Tenor - "Harry" - Fremont Blackline Low G
    KoAloha D-VI - "Kubrick"
    Cordoba Guilele CE
    Gretsch G9126 Guitar-Ukulele

How did this story end?
    +

Frank

Picco Music
    Micro Scale Instruments - featuring the PiccoBass guitar-scale Bass
    http://www.piccomusic.com
    https://www.facebook.com/PiccoMusic

Quote Originally Posted by UkeKiddinMe View Post
    How did this story end?
    I took up fishing.

I say in jest, you must have a lot of time to think! I got lost somewhere in the middle!
    Black Bear Sopranino Spruce/Koa~ Living Water
    Ohana Soprano SK-38 Mahogany~ Martin
    Mainland Soprano Mango~ Low G Daniel Ho

I use quite a bit of Seaguar leaders. Enough that the size I use the most (it's an e string on some ukes, c on others, so it gets used a lot) is almost empty (25M spool) in about three years. A lot of that is because I experiment a lot, though, and it's cheap to do so when you buy string by the 25M spool.

However, fluorocarbon strings are very durable so I think the original poster's "every two months" is probably a bit excessive. Even on ukuleles that I play a lot fluorocarbon strings will go six months without any problem.

Fishing leaders aren't for every uke. I've got some bright ukes that sound better with Ko'Olau Gold or Mahana strings. My KoAloha sounds better with Seaguar "CM" leaders but intonates better up the neck with Ko'Olau Alohi strings. Of my current crop of nine ukuleles six have some combination of Seaguar leaders and the others Gold, Mahana, and Alohi (one each).

Seaguar leaders in the same gages as a Worth "CH" (hard) set are wonderful on most ukes. The KoAloha didn't like them, and they were too bright on my mango ukes, but I've got them on everything else from soprano to tenor. They sound great, feel good, and intonate very nicely up the neck.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I see another company Stren with fluorocarbon string in smaller spools that are only about 4 to $8 each.
    They have 7 different gauges of strings. At those prices, it would be easy to have it be super economically feasible,
    without worrying about aging spools.
    +

Frank

Picco Music
    Micro Scale Instruments - featuring the PiccoBass guitar-scale Bass
    http://www.piccomusic.com
    https://www.facebook.com/PiccoMusic

Thread Information